License Plates

On highway the other day saw a MA plate...had to look a few times... Just number "1". Not 01, not business 1, just 1. I have seen as low as 8. Older couple heading to Cape Cod.

Any other states have a lottery type system for low plate numbers? Kinda big deal in MA.

Here, anyone can apply for 2 character plates https://mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/Pages/licenseplates/personalized.aspx so I assume single digits are reserved for state officials and dignitaries. I got "1" on my Cadillac but that's DC.

IMG_3347.JPG

IIRC, I think Illinois reserves the low-number plates for people with 'clout'. I don't remember if there's a lottery or if someone had to be willing to pay someone extra for the privilege.

I don't want anything memorable on my car that would make it easier to remember or identify. Call it paranoia because I don't do anything too crazy. I prefer anonymity when driving.

On highway the other day saw a MA plate...had to look a few times... Just number "1". Not 01, not business 1, just 1. I have seen as low as 8. Older couple heading to Cape Cod.

Any other states have a lottery type system for low plate numbers? Kinda big deal in MA.
That is impressive, what was the make of the vehicle?
I was able to get the low digit reserve plate of my much loved great grandmother reissued to me when I lived in MA by writing to the RMV and telling them about the family history behind it.

IIRC, I think Illinois reserves the low-number plates for people with 'clout'. I don't remember if there's a lottery or if someone had to be willing to pay someone extra for the privilege.
And the single-letter ones too.... I've heard of a few of them over the years but the only one I've seen in person was "P", which belonged to Mr. Palumbo of the road-construction firm of the same name.

Rosemont's mayor and alleged mob affiliate Don Stevens had 34. How he got that and not Walter Payton we'll probably never know.

Back