Lexus IS350F Sport wins against 335i & ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really then whats that at the end of each one. Nuff said.
Want to get into personal attacks now you cant come up with anything more than Slalom speed?

I made my point using the numbers! What about braking eh? It has the poorest brakes of all 3.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Oh really then whats that at the end of each one. Nuff said.
Want to get into personal attacks now you cant come up with anything more than Slalom speed?

I made my point using the numbers! What about braking eh? It has the poorest brakes of all 3.

That wasn't a personal attack, it was questioning your views and your bias. Because clearly you have the knowledge, considering your certification.

The end of each video was presenting the information for those who cannot interpret the results. And then the Lexus logo. Keep in mind, that video was to show that Lexus is beating BMW with other models (i.e. GS F Sport) other than the IS as well.

Where did I say it has the best braking? You do realize that the IS350 is the heaviest of them all, right?

That test is IMHO nothing more than a Toyota puff piece.
It beats BMW by one point. They used an immeasurable and opinionated "fun to drive" score to gin up a deciding point.

49.gif

+1. I've always been a fan of the quality, if cramped feel of the IS. But I agree.

Missing the MT adds to the issues I have with it. No thanks.

335i just scares me with that motor. Our close friends have a 535ix wagon and it had $10k of work in the last year. 2/3 in warranty 1/3 out. They are not sure they are going to keep their 5 year old car with nearly 100k.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
335i just scares me with that motor. Our close friends have a 535ix wagon and it had $10k of work in the last year. 2/3 in warranty 1/3 out. They are not sure they are going to keep their 5 year old car with nearly 100k.

The reality is that most people with cars with nearly 100k don't keep them... And BMW folks are no different - maybe worse statistically since at one point they were leased more than any other make.

Of course there are some challenging aspects of the n54/55 engine, for example the Critic showed me that it is 6 book hours for doing a valve cover gasket replacement!!! So the potential for cost is definitely there. The question is what was the basis of the $10k in work, and how much of it is specific to some aspect of the drivetrain unique to the BMW?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The reality is that most people with cars with nearly 100k don't keep them... And BMW folks are no different - maybe worse statistically since at one point they were leased more than any other make.

Of course there are some challenging aspects of the n54/55 engine, for example the Critic showed me that it is 6 book hours for doing a valve cover gasket replacement!!! So the potential for cost is definitely there. The question is what was the basis of the $10k in work, and how much of it is specific to some aspect of the drivetrain unique to the BMW?

Not to get off tangent, but I recently read an article on Car and Driver in regards to potential problems on the 2000-03 E39. And, it was an eye opener in regards to how expensive some of the known problems can be. Source- 2000-03 BMW M5 Buyer's Guide

It's true, you gotta pay to play!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
wonder is the results would have been different if they used the BMW 335is coupe (E92), instead of the 335i

How about putting all three on the same tires? All are 4 doors so thats okay i have no problem with that.
Slalom speed has a lot to do with tires so IMHO all should have the same rubber before making these test, that way you are sure to be comparing cars handling characteristics and not the tires.
The fact it has such poor brakes should be a huge minus point for this car.

The other thing they should give points for but cant/wont is the prestige factor.
BMW would steal this category without moving. Lexus would be harmed badly because of its relationship with parent company Toyota.
A similar situation befell the Phaeton in the US market.
Some would say the prestige factor is shallow but it counts for an awful lot of sales, ask any MB dealer.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not to get off tangent, but I recently read an article on Car and Driver in regards to potential problems on the 2000-03 E39. And, it was an eye opener in regards to how expensive some of the known problems can be. Source- 2000-03 BMW M5 Buyer's Guide

It's true, you gotta pay to play!

Thing is, I doubt any ls430 or Eqqus or anything else is going to be cheaper than any other marque. Overkill seems to have found parts first world made and fairly reasonable for his M5 E39. Parts for my e30 318 really aren't different in terms of pricing than those for my mother's plymouth 4cyl.

But that's not just any E39. It's an M5. They classified it as an econo-exotic. It doesn't really compare to the cars discussed in this thread.

Also, some of these price figures are questionable. M5 uses 275/38/18 rear tires. Two of them don't cost $900. You can get decent rubber for under $200 a piece. And for $250 you can get really good ones.

The other thing they should give points for but cant/wont is the prestige factor.
BMW would steal this category without moving. Lexus would be harmed badly because of its relationship with parent company Toyota.

Ironicly, I won't own a BMW because of the phony "prestige". Every weasel that thinks he's "made it" goes out and buys a 3 series BMW and the proceeds to act like a douche bag to prove his worth. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

But that's not just any E39. It's an M5. They classified it as an econo-exotic. It doesn't really compare to the cars discussed in this thread.

Also, some of these price figures are questionable. M5 uses 275/38/18 rear tires. Two of them don't cost $900. You can get decent rubber for under $200 a piece. And for $250 you can get really good ones.

I wasn't comparing it to these specific cars (let's face it, we all know the IS350 is going to be the most reliable of the 3). I was responding to JHZR2, regarding BMW specific problems.

Originally Posted By: whip

Ironicly, I won't own a BMW because of the phony "prestige". Every weasel that thinks he's "made it" goes out and buys a 3 series BMW and the proceeds to act like a douche bag to prove his worth. No thanks.

+1, to that. That's another one of the reasons why I sold my M3 although it wasn't a deciding factor of course.

I hear that a lot in Germany from VW Golf, Opel and Ford Fiesta/Focus drivers.
lol.gif

Like it or not BMW is a prestigious brand. In Germany Lexus is viewed as a tarted up Toyota and rightfully so because thats what it is.
Lately they have been working on some brand separation but still using other Toyota platforms.
Nissan and Honda didn't bother playing stupid games with the brand name, the knew the German buyer would see right through it.

lol.gif

Like it or not BMW is a prestigious brand. In Germany Lexus is viewed as a tarted up Toyota and rightfully so because thats what it is.
Lately they have been working on some brand separation but still using other Toyota platforms.
Nissan and Honda didn't bother playing stupid games with the brand name, the knew the German buyer would see right through it.

You act like only Toyota and Lexus share chassis.

What about the camaro/firebird, T-bird/Lincoln mark , Accord Coupe/Acura CL.

A Lexus is not just a dressed up Toyota, especially not the GS/SC/LS/LX/GX. You clearly have never owned or driven one. Let's just leave it at that, you have already made up your mind.

Quote:
I will always remember the comparison test of the 2004 LS430 against a field consisting of Mercedes-Benz S430, Audi A8L, Jaguar XJ8, BMW 745i, and VW Phaeton. The LS430 absolutely decimated them all, and came out ranked first there too.
Here is aserious question for a change If you are in the market to buy any of the similar mileage car *today*, is there even a contest? Would a sane person touch anything else but the Lexus? You will have to be absolutely crazy to buy ten year old Phaeton or for that matter XJ8 if you could get similar LS430

Actually, the reliability on those old Phaetons is supposedly very good. They are collector items, too. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Alas, if something does end up breaking, fixing it may not be cheap.

Back to the IS350F Sport... that funky digital cluster looks neat, but is there no option to display an analog-looking speedo?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Back to the IS350F Sport... that funky digital cluster looks neat, but is there no option to display an analog-looking speedo?

I don't believe there is. The digital cluster is similar to the one found in the LFA.

lol.gif

You act like only Toyota and Lexus share chassis.

What about the camaro/firebird, T-bird/Lincoln mark , Accord Coupe/Acura CL.

A Lexus is not just a dressed up Toyota, especially not the GS/SC/LS/LX/GX. You clearly have never owned or driven one. Let's just leave it at that, you have already made up your mind.

I could buy one today but why would i want an expensive Toyota? I already have an Infinity which is a tarted up Maxima for Pete's sake.
I see you have an Lexus so i can see where your coming from, no bias there. BTW i have driven enough of them and pref high quality German products with a real heritage.

Most if not all do share the same chassis. The ES was a Camry with a Camry 1MZ-FE 3.0, no difference. I cant be bothered to chase every one of them down but even the GS, SC, LX is shared as is all the rest. The proof is out there!
The Lexus may not be a pig with lipstick but its not on par with German cars in the same class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_SC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_GX

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/11/30/report-next-lexus-is-to-share-platform-with-toyota-ft-86/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/...bal-appeal.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back