Starter motor from Lexus is remanufactured

Yeah that is nuts. Goes to show you how well the manufacture trusts using cheap aluminum castings for an engine block.
Don't think so. C-series engines are really reliable. They are also very smooth for a 90 degree v6. Honda just tends to go nuts when they do something for the first time.

Reliable ? So are cheapy little Suzuki engines. I wasn't saying reliability is the question, its the crap material that "everything" is made from now.

The ls400 is not complicated, it’s just that the starter is hard to access

I would suggest having to remove the intake manifold and associated connectors and parts to swap a starter motor is the textbook definition of complicated. "interconnecting parts or elements, intricate"

1704681337512.png

Happy I bought a 5th Gen 4Runner in 2010 that is still being produced in 2024. Parts should be available for awhile.
BTW, I noticed both new and reman alternators are available for my truck, but the new has a better discount. Ya never know…
IMG_5090.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to change a starter???
Thank you Jesus I will never own a lexus.
Well I think all Toyota V8s hid the starter under the intake!
That includes the Tundra Sequoia and various Lexus models that use the same engine….
My $75/hr mechanic complained replacing the 2000 Tundra V8 starter my parents had till last year. He replaced with a Denso rebuild and bill still only came to around $700 so could not have been that bad .

My $75/hr mechanic complained replacing the 2000 Tundra V8 starter my parents had till last year. He replaced with a Denso rebuild and bill still only came to around $700 so could not have been that bad .
The 2uzfe 4.7L engine in my 2001 tundras starter is much much easier to do than the early 1 uz’s

I would suggest having to remove the intake manifold and associated connectors and parts to swap a starter motor is the textbook definition of complicated. "interconnecting parts or elements, intricate"

View attachment 197200
I’d disagree, so with that logic the 2uz, the most basic open engine bay ever, simple coil on plug design and the most reliable engine Toyota sold in the usa is complicated lol

He is shopping OEM for an 1994? Golly, be glad they even have a reman! You are lucky to get anything OEM from the dealer past year 2000.

Did you check out new headlamp assemblies while at the dealer? Had to replace some headlights on a ´93 Buick Regal, and OEMs were obsolete, I was barely able to find them in aftermarket.(Depo)

Or better yet, go the junkyard and remove just about any Toyota starter you can find and remove the bolts that hold it together and grab the copper contacts and plunger out of it. These are about the only parts that go bad in these, I've done this so many times I could do it in my sleep. As a matter of fact your local Toyota dealer probably has a kit you can buy consisting of these parts, they did the last time I asked about it a few years ago. Takes about 10 minutes to swap them and 99% of the time thats all these Toyota starters need.

Actually I just looked on Ebay.... $11 for this kit.

View attachment 196597
Yep. That's all I did on my Landcruiser after 18 years/ 200k miles. Never had to touch it again. Meanwhile I went through 3 junk reman alternators.

FWIW - the original LS400 has 6 bolt mains! Not sure how long that lasted. One upmanship on MB, BMW, etc to establish their brand?
Ford modular engines, GM LS engines all have 6 bolt mains. That started in the early 90s. Ford had cross bolted (4 bolt) mains in the FE engine starting in 1964.

Pretty much every engine of any configuration now has 6 bolt mains.

Ford modular engines, GM LS engines all have 6 bolt mains. That started in the early 90s. Ford had cross bolted (4 bolt) mains in the FE engine starting in 1964.

Pretty much every engine of any configuration now has 6 bolt mains.t
They are 6 bolt mains out of necessity as they are high power output engines, whereas the 1uz is not high power output, plus 6 bolt mains, and oversized bearings etc. big difference. New engines have to be cause they are tiny with tons of power

"Only came to $700." I wish I had that as pocket change, that is huge to me. Even with the approx $100. local rebuilt starter, if it was an old chev truck the job would be under $200. so yes it is bad, if he supplied the part he charges for that too. If he has a business he can usually get the parts for at least 20% less than the average joe can.

The reman starter is doing amazing. I now hold the belief the reman is good as new
thanks for the update.. Glad you can see what I was saying earlier in this thread how Toyota's remanufactured is just that.. re-manufactured, only thing they keep that's old is the casing. everything else is new, it's an excellent deal. When you compare Toyota's reman to the aftermarket the deal is even better!

Depending on who does the remanufacturing, many consider them better than a mass-produced, "new" part.
That sums it up perfectly.. better than a "new" part.. I think it's because it's not just mass produced but a tech goes over it individually as it's rebuilt. (y)

I'm learning so much in this thread. I've always considered all reman stuff junk because of past auto parts store experiences with the ones they sell. Didn't realize there were OEM remans, glad to hear that exists.

On a side note, reading some of these stories, I realize how lucky am with my 'old' car, an early Miata. I buy used parts for it all the time on FB. I just bought a nice driveshaft and replaced my very worn out factory unit with it, for instance. I also just picked up a used but like new speedo cable, and a bunch of brake components. The car is very reliable but at 215K miles it's getting up there, haha. In any case parts are plentiful and cheap. Even with the car being close to 35 years old now many new parts are still available as well. Makes owning the car very economical.

I loved the LS400, too. As well as the SC300/400. Toyota at its best imo.

Back