Starter motor from Lexus is remanufactured

I’m doing a starter job on my Lexus, and did the right thing and bought a starter from the Lexus dealership. Well it’s got a big fat remanufactured sticker on it.. my car is a 1994 ls400. Why the hell is a dealership selling remanufactured parts when I expect new parts? Is it just the case that all starters for older cars are just remanufactured? Can I trust this part to be reliable? This is a huge job and is expensive as hell. I paid a lot of money for this part

Manufacturers stop making parts for vehicles after their warranty requirement runs out. If your lucky its used on a newer model as well. Beyond that in slight cases its made by a tier supplier where there is enough volume to justify continued production.

A lot of "OEM" parts you buy have been redesigned anyway - if the vehicle has been out of production for a long time. So tier supplier X makes a cam sensor. Once out of production, they may redesign it as an "approved equal" using components that are still being used in production for something else. It may be better or worse than the original.

I hate this too!

GM, Ford, and most of the Euros are better at actually selling OEM new parts like that. The Japanese really only like to sell reman :(

Alternators, starters, brake calipers, and CV axles are the usual ones difficult getting new OE from Honda and Toyota.

I’m doing a starter job on my Lexus, and did the right thing and bought a starter from the Lexus dealership. Well it’s got a big fat remanufactured sticker on it.. my car is a 1994 ls400. Why the hell is a dealership selling remanufactured parts when I expect new parts? Is it just the case that all starters for older cars are just remanufactured? Can I trust this part to be reliable? This is a huge job and is expensive as hell. I paid a lot of money for this part
Let us know if you can get a (brand) new starter for that and get back to us.

Dealer sold remans have to meet specs designated by the manufacturer and not by bobs starter and alternator shop by a high school drop out min wage worker with a hammer, pliers and a screwdriver. We used to have a Ford parts rebuilders facility not half a mile away, the quality was good. They rebuilt everything from engines, transmissions, carbs and starters to voltage regulators, they were owned and operated by Ford, sadly they are long gone.

A lot of those "old" Toyota (Denso) parts like Starters and Alternators are easy to rebuild properly.
In reality, if the starter in you 94 LS400 just need to be replaced now, that means the part is really good.
I suspect that you can bring that bad starter to a starter shop and rebuild without too much trouble.

IIRC, they sells kit to rebuild old 90's Camry's Denso starter.
It was a DIY.

Let us know if you can get a (brand) new starter for that and get back to us.

Two available in the U.K. for a very steep price.

1704414951534.png

Last edited:
That's what I thought. So you really didn't want a new-for that price.Did you?

Back