Starter motor from Lexus is remanufactured

I’m doing a starter job on my Lexus, and did the right thing and bought a starter from the Lexus dealership. Well it’s got a big fat remanufactured sticker on it.. my car is a 1994 ls400. Why the hell is a dealership selling remanufactured parts when I expect new parts? Is it just the case that all starters for older cars are just remanufactured? Can I trust this part to be reliable? This is a huge job and is expensive as hell. I paid a lot of money for this part
As everyone else has said, the car is 30 years old, but.. Toyota's "remanufactured" parts are probably the best out there, all that is old/used is the casing. Everything else is replaced with new parts, this is done by the orignal parts supplier to Toyota. That's the awesome part about Toyota's reman parts, they really are new! And.. tested before shipping out. Unlike new parts that only random samples are taken for quality control. It's a much better part, even if you think it's "used" it's not.

Honda does the same thing with their remanufactured parts too. You end up getting new insides and tested for a lot less money and a longer warranty!

EDIT: You'll be fine, no worries with that Toyota reman part.

Last edited:
I did the same job on my 2002 Sequoia... using a reman starter purchased from a Toyota dealer. I too was surprised it wasn't new, but the parts guy said the car was too old and reman is the only thing available. And yes, it is a big job, not as bad as yours apparently, but still took me 8 hours. Book is 5.3 hours. I could probably do it faster next time... but there won't be a next time. If it needs another starter I'm going to send it packing. Not doing that again!

If it bothers you, you could always get one from the junkyard instead. Chances are, the car in the junkyard isn't there because of a bad starter.

Or better yet, go the junkyard and remove just about any Toyota starter you can find and remove the bolts that hold it together and grab the copper contacts and plunger out of it. These are about the only parts that go bad in these, I've done this so many times I could do it in my sleep. As a matter of fact your local Toyota dealer probably has a kit you can buy consisting of these parts, they did the last time I asked about it a few years ago. Takes about 10 minutes to swap them and 99% of the time thats all these Toyota starters need.

Actually I just looked on Ebay.... $11 for this kit.

contacts.jpg

I bought an OE Bosch from RA for my Jeep that was remanufactured. No big deal.

I wonder what it would have been had you bought Denso. Likely the OE part too.

I’m doing a starter job on my Lexus, and did the right thing and bought a starter from the Lexus dealership. Well it’s got a big fat remanufactured sticker on it.. my car is a 1994 ls400. Why the hell is a dealership selling remanufactured parts when I expect new parts? Is it just the case that all starters for older cars are just remanufactured? Can I trust this part to be reliable? This is a huge job and is expensive as hell. I paid a lot of money for this part
Welcome to reality. You’ve got a 30 year old car. 30…year…old.

Be glad they still carry parts at all.

Most of the similar parts on my two Mercedes are rebuilt. Same with Volvo. But they are rebuilt through the OEM, so the quality will be good.

Use them with confidence, and be glad you’re not getting big box garbage.

Are these actually Denso parts? 🤔

Last edited:
I'm not sure why folks hate on OEM remanufactured parts. From my experience it is done by the same company or competent companies that disassemble the part and replace the wear items. To think you will have a new starter on any vehicle that is not still in production is laughable.

Remember, remanufactured is not re-built. Remanufactured is done in a factory environment that uses production processes with quality controls.

Just my $0.02

Good to see so many people straightening out this misconception with remanufactured parts, specifically OEM remans. When a company like Denso or Bosch remanufacturer a starter or alternator, because ALL of the bits aren't new, they can't call it new. What's left of the "old" part ? Like a couple people have said - the outer shell/casting. The patterns (mold) that made those break, wear out, etc and after some point, no one is going to make a new pattern. Now, how much of the internal bits get replaced ? That varies depending on the manufacturer. Some say everything gets replaced, others say parts are "inspected" and if they meet specs, they're re-used.

See what @RedSpider posted. Those starters last a long time except for the contact points. It's very simple to put in new contacts yourself. You only really need the L shaped copper "crow's feet." The disk on the plunger does also wear down but a lot slower than the crow's feet.

Good to see so many people straightening out this misconception with remanufactured parts, specifically OEM remans. When a company like Denso or Bosch remanufacturer a starter or alternator, because ALL of the bits aren't new, they can't call it new. What's left of the "old" part ? Like a couple people have said - the outer shell/casting. The patterns (mold) that made those break, wear out, etc and after some point, no one is going to make a new pattern. Now, how much of the internal bits get replaced ? That varies depending on the manufacturer. Some say everything gets replaced, others say parts are "inspected" and if they meet specs, they're re-used.
Denso reman only inspect and replace nothing that is still arguably serviceable inc bearings. Bosch on the other hand replaces a lot more.

Remanufactured DENSO alternators go through a grueling process: Stators and rectifiers are tested to 300 volts, while rotors are submitted to 600 volts, all to ensure reliable performance. Rotor slip rings are buffed to an 8 micron surface finish, with run out limited to 20 microns, minimizing brush wear and abrasion. Bearings are validated to OE standards and loaded with premium OE-standard lubricants.
Bosch..

Bosch Remanufactured Alternators have more new parts and are performance tested to ensure longer, more reliable operation with maximum performance.

The warranty on Bosch includes a toll free service number. When I need a starter or alternator I use Bosch first if available, working on mostly Euro vehicles they are usually OE anyway.

If any Bosch Starter or Alternator* fails within two years of purchase,
customers are entitled to a FREE jump start, or tow from a qualified
Road Service Provider.
The Bosch Ultimate Protection Plan lets your customers know that these top-quality parts are backed by this exclusive
program. Once a customer fills out their Personal Registration Information at www.bosch.roadsideprotect.com, they are
entitled to a jump start and/or tow service for two full years if their car fails to start for any reason. No other auto parts
manufacturer provides this exclusive product support program.

Back