Lexus IS350F Sport wins against 335i & ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparison Test

Originally Posted By: Car & Driver
Habemus Papem! Like the installation of Francis, the world’s first Latin American pontiff, the crowning of a Lexus as the high priest of the sports-sedan world is something few saw coming—until we dove into the twisting, climbing, kinking, plunging roads around Leakey, Texas.

We didn’t see it coming because, on any other type of road, the IS clearly exhibits Lexus’s traditional top priority: serenity. On typical highway surfaces, minute twitches in the steering wheel and nearly imperceptible shifts of the body offer only the slightest hint of what lurks within. But charge into a series of quick bends and the IS completely changes its character. Turn-in is crisper in the Lexus than in either the BMW or the Cadillac, a fact borne out by its first-place slalom finish in spite of a mediocre skidpad performance. More important, the Lexus is utterly imperturbable. Bumps that send other cars skittering off-line or scrambling to maintain their course are absorbed and dispatched, but not kept completely hidden from the driver.

It used to be that, in this class, there was a clear divide in terms of refinement between the BMW inline-six and the engines offered by competitors. That gap is rapidly shrinking. Both the Cadillac’s and the Lexus’s Vs are surprisingly close to the BMW straight-six, but the IS’s is smoother than the ATS’s. And its eight-speed automatic is quicker and more seamless than the Caddy’s six-speed though basically on par with BMW’s transmission.

High-end brushed-nickel-look trim contrasts with an HVAC panel straight out of 1993. In ’93, radios had seek buttons. The IS’s doesn’t.
Additionally, the Lexus is lavishly, indulgently comfortable. Its front seats are an ergonomic feat, perfectly cupped and padded with no tangible break between back and bottom cushions, just one immaculate sweep of support from shoulders to thighs. Our drivers, trapped within a wide array of body types, unanimously swooned. Yes, the BMW is slightly more spacious in the rear, but nobody anywhere in that car is as comfortable as the people in the front of the Lexus. It’s a good thing we have so few other complaints about the IS, though, because its mouse-operated infotainment system burns through our good will in short order and turns us into sputtering, apoplectic maniacs. “Distracted driving” is a rallying cry for safety advocates everywhere; this device is infotainment’s nadir, a deserving flashpoint for a revolution against its kind.

Every other negative gets turned around when you wake the IS up, though. Its variable-ratio steering, seemingly overboosted and a touch slow in highway travel, comes alive on coursing two-lanes, quickening and taking on a pleasing heft. The brake pedal feels a tad touchy when commuting, but reacts more predictably under duress, better coordinating pressure to stopping power. The IS manages to be both typically Lexus-civil and delightfully capable (its stops are still the longest, though). Roman Catholicism preaches transubstantiation, the belief that consecrated bread and wine become flesh and blood. The manner in which the Lexus transforms from innocuous to vivid is nearly as miraculous.

Nice to hear a reliable/lower long term cost to own choice is a viable player. Not knocking the ATS however it has no long term ownership.

This car will be on my list when used retail goes to 50%.

Proper. Lexus is usually lambasted by Car & Driver so it is refreshing to see them win the prize.

I will always remember the comparison test of the 2004 LS430 against a field consisting of Mercedes-Benz S430, Audi A8L, Jaguar XJ8, BMW 745i, and VW Phaeton. The LS430 absolutely decimated them all, and came out ranked first there too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can you get the IS 350 F Sport with a manual trans?

No manual transmission.

That test is IMHO nothing more than a Toyota puff piece.
It beats BMW by one point. They used an immeasurable and opinionated "fun to drive" score to gin up a deciding point.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Proper. Lexus is usually lambasted by Car & Driver so it is refreshing to see them win the prize.

I will always remember the comparison test of the 2004 LS430 against a field consisting of Mercedes-Benz S430, Audi A8L, Jaguar XJ8, BMW 745i, and VW Phaeton. The LS430 absolutely decimated them all, and came out ranked first there too.

I guess it didn't "decimate" them all in every magazine.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/luxury/112_0409_luxury_sedan_comparison/viewall.html

Actually, they did rather lambaste it saying the Lexus was "a full frontal gizmo attack" and the "next step up from silk underwear". It did, indeed, finish first in their comparison though. Their result: 1 Lexus, 2 Jaguar, 3 BMW ) but the LS was slower than both the Jaguar and BMW 0-100 and in the quarter mile.

The comparo was in the December 2003 issue, "$70,000 Luxury Sedans". I normally pay about as much attention to car and drivel as I would to our local bird cage liner, but I remember
that comparo because I was buying a new car for my wife in that market at that time.

I have it saved if it is not still online and you want a copy of it.

I think magazine reviews are so subjective as to be almost completely useless.

Look at those comparisons of 2004 full size luxury sedans: MT had the Jaguar and BMW at the bottom, CD had them at the top. MT hated lack of gizmos on the Jaguar. CD loved lack of gizmos on the Jaguar.

Buy whatever you like and forget about what the magazines have to say. Their job is to sell magazines and advertising.

The IS is no doubt a nice car that most people would be very happy with, if that's the kind of car they want. As is the BMW and the little Caddy.

It's amazing how competitive the car market is right now, you really can't go wrong with anything - it's all a matter of personal preference, and that influences these tests as well. Unless you're looking at 0-60 times, braking distance, etc. it's all subjective.

I am very happy with my ATS after 2 months and 2k miles of ownership, and would probably be just as happy with a 3 series or IS.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I guess it didn't "decimate" them all in every magazine.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/luxury/112_0409_luxury_sedan_comparison/viewall.html

Fortunately, nobody reads Motor Trend, Car & Driver is the standard bearer for mainstream US car publications.
smile.gif

And it doesn't matter if the Lexus won the C&D test by an inch or a mile, winning's winning. Lol, I have Fast & Furious on the brain
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: whip
Is BMW going backwards, or is the rest of the field catching up?

BMW is no longer the ultimate driving machine and it hasn't been for sometime now. This is just icing on the cake.

Competitors are stepping it up, and BMW is mellowing their cars down.

Originally Posted By: Win

Actually, they did rather lambaste it saying the Lexus was "a full frontal gizmo attack" and the "next step up from silk underwear". It did, indeed, finish first in their comparison though. Their result: 1 Lexus, 2 Jaguar, 3 BMW ) but the LS was slower than both the Jaguar and BMW 0-100 and in the quarter mile.

The comparo was in the December 2003 issue, "$70,000 Luxury Sedans". I normally pay about as much attention to car and drivel as I would to our local bird cage liner, but I remember
that comparo because I was buying a new car for my wife in that market at that time.

Actually it came in behind the A8 in the test i linked too.
It doesn't matter anyway they always let Toyota or Honda win something even if they have to use things like "fun to drive" to bump the score over the top as proven in this last so called test.
These rags are after the advertising doller so they throw them a bone to keep them happy.

Originally Posted By: Win

Actually it came in behind the A8 in the test i linked too.
It doesn't matter anyway they always let Toyota or Honda win something even if they have to use things like "fun to drive" to bump the score over the top as proven in this last so called test.
These rags are after the advertising doller so they throw them a bone to keep them happy.

That's not true. The IS in this case had the fastest slalom speed. They didn't just hand out "fun to drive" points.

Good lord man those are Lexus commercials did you expect anything else?
Originally Posted By: hypervish
That's not true. The IS in this case had the fastest slalom speed. They didn't just hand out "fun to drive" points.

Of course they just handed them out! they gave the Lexus 2 point more than the BMW already for handling. No problem take those 2 away and keep the fun to drive point it still loses.
If it wasn't for the Fun to drive nonsense it would lose easily. This was no win it was a gimme. The numbers don't lie no matter how much you try and justify the fun to drive, brake feel, steering feel points which are all subjective.

Not a bad car but certainly not the overall "winner" of anything. On the numbers alone its a loser. The performance and braking alone don't compare to the BMW.

Good lord man those are Lexus commercials did you expect anything else?
Originally Posted By: hypervish

Of course they just handed them out! they gave the Lexus 2 point more than the BMW already for handling. No problem take those 2 away and keep the fun to drive point it still loses.
If it wasn't for the Fun to drive nonsense it would lose easily. This was no win it was a gimme. The numbers don't lie no matter how much you try and justify the fun to drive, brake feel, steering feel points which are all subjective.

Not a bad car but certainly not the overall "winner" of anything. On the numbers alone its a loser. The performance and braking alone don't compare to the BMW.

Those videos' are hardly a Lexus commercial:
Quote:
For 30 years AMCI Testing has been an unbiased, independent vehicle testing company, directly serving automotive manufacturers worldwide. Whenever a balanced and unprejudiced understanding of their own vehicles' comparative performance is needed for product development, market intelligence or claim substantiation, most come to us. The oft proven, undisputed and unrivaled accuracy of AMCI Testing Certified data has fairly and defensibly substantiated hundreds and hundreds of competitive claims in television and print over the years.

In the past, BMW has won by 1 point against the IS350. So let's not get carried away here.

Not to mention, the IS300 has beat E46 before.

The 335i has a faster straight-line speed 0-60, 1/4 mile, and it is 100 pounds lighter yet it is still significantly slower in the slalom.

Despite the advantages of the 335i in torque and acceleration, it still handles poorer than the Lexus. Say's quite about BMW...

ASE certification, huh? So much for that.

I've made my point here, no point in continuing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back