Latest salvage vehicle purchase from Auction (IAAI not Copart)

Went back to the car to button it up. I am heading home and then off to WDC and El Paso, so will be away from the car for about three weeks.

Added three containers of heat to the gas tank. Restarted the car and it died again after about three minutes. Started it again and it ran for over 20 minutes, until I turned the car off. Seemed to hear a slight miss. Likely a dirty/ rusted MAF... but only speculation on my part.

Going to purchase another interior fuse box. They run about $20 on Ebay, and I can experiment to figure out how to remove the pins without risking the replacements I already have partially installed.

Next update likely in three weeks.
Yep definitely replace the MAF.

Did you try putting it in gear?
Good question.

YI did try to put her in gear, but she would not go in gear. She is in park , she was reporting not in park prior to front SAM replacement.

My guess is the electric emergency brake does not have power to it due to my not finishing the interior fuse box replacement. The car likely requires a functional electric emergency brake being seen for the transmission to be allowed to go from Park to reverse, etc.

I simply do not understand this thread in any regard. $6k auction for a flooded out high mileage Mercedes?? Ouch.
Way above my comfort level.

I scored a 1%er at an auction last year for only $1800 out the door after taxes and fees. That's where I acquired a really nice Ford Explorer Sport. I've had to put about $1000 into maintenance but it's running great. Picture of my Ford here. I'd say it's 7 out of 10 or maybe 8 out of 10 overall condition, not rust anywhere 8/10 interior, everything important works, 8/10 exterior, no real issues. Just needed some engine maintenance love now essentially resolved.

Good luck to you OP. I'd have never put serious money into a flooded out high mileage anything... wish you the best in your endeavors.

img (20).jpg

I simply do not understand this thread in any regard. $6k auction for a flooded out high mileage Mercedes?? Ouch.
Way above my comfort level.

Well, the rest of us understand.
The OP likes a challenge, which is something that a flood recovery vehicle stuffed to the brim with German electronics is going to give, in spades.

You, apparently, do not.

It is definitely a better thread for learning something than a whole bunch of others on here.

Well, the rest of us understand.
The OP likes a challenge, which is something that a flood recovery vehicle stuffed to the brim with German electronics is going to give, in spades.

You, apparently, do not.

It is definitely a better thread for learning something than a whole bunch of others on here.
As much as I think the OP acquisition is a piece of garbage-it beats the "thick vs. thin" debate any day. You know the threads-"if my manual states to use 0/20w can I use 0/30w"?

As much as I think the OP acquisition is a piece of garbage-it beats the "thick vs. thin" debate any day. You know the threads-"if my manual states to use 0/20w can I use 0/30w"?
Yup.
Besides, if you buy a hunk of junk, and you take the time and fix it up, it's no longer a hunk of junk anymore.

Real classy choice of words there.
It'a vehicle that has sat in water and is completely soaked. All the wiring and most of the connections are soaked-it's got a lot of miles on it. I'm sorry-don't see the hidden gem here. It was purchased from a "buy-here/pay here" lot, with the previous owner having marginal to bad credit. Do you really think he cared for it?

Real classy choice of words there.
ATI,

That poster stated like issues on my other Copart purchases. He (or she not sure) likely lives three stop lights from me. Probably under five minutes. I invited him (or her) to come by for a cup of coffee, or a beer to come see my other Copart rebuilds that he/she provided color comments on. He/she declined.

Color commentators are part of our society, and the color commentators in the sports business likely make a lot of money doing it. They don't have to be right, just have to have strong comments. I take zero offence from his/ her posts but did and do have that person on ignore. I prefer to read and respond to people with other leadership/ personality dimensions than that poster displays.

I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Teddy Roosevelt- something I read and share often:

Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena"​

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Last edited:
ATI,

That poster stated like issues on my other Copart purchases. He (or she not sure) likely lives three stop lights from me. Probably under five minutes. I invited him (or her) to come by for a cup of coffee, or a beer to come see my other Copart rebuilds that he/she provided color comments on. He/she declined.

Color commentators are part of our society, and the color commentators in the sports business likely make a lot of money doing it. They don't have to be right, just have to have strong comments. I take zero offence from his/ her posts but did and do have that person on ignore. I prefer to read and respond to people with other leadership/ personality dimensions than that poster displays.

I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Teddy Roosevelt- something I read and share often:

Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena"​

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Ge....I feel like I should stand up and salute the nearest flag...or something.

I know what you're saying, but that like telling a guy his wife is ugly or worse, that his 15 year old daughter is hot.
With all due respect-I don't drink the Kool-aid on here and call these things the way I see them. If you don't find my posts worth-while, there are options you can use not to see them. It's the use of the term "garbage" that you disagree with. All my others statements regarding that vehicle are accurate.

Last edited:
Pop Rivet, Didja move to Utah ? We all know you're an inter-net Bad @$$ :cool:
With all due respect-I don't drink the Kool-aid on here and call these things the way I see them. If you don't find my posts worth-while, there are options you can use not to see them. It's the use of the term "garbage" that you disagree with. All my others statements regarding that vehicle are accurate.

I saw a better one yesterday, asking for difference between M1 ESP 0w30 vs M1 0w30 ESP

Reactions: CKN
I saw a better one yesterday, asking for difference between M1 ESP 0w30 vs M1 0w30 ESP

This one is an unbelievable 7 pages long........

Would you use 0W30 instead of 0W20?​

So where's the thread you created about the interesting project that you're working on so that we can see how you prefer to do things?

Back