Latest salvage vehicle purchase from Auction (IAAI not Copart)

No problem getting insurance for a car registered in AK when you live in another state? Or is that a military thing?
Not an issue at all. Never ever questioned once.

On a side note, my Alaska driver license has a Utah address on it....... Same as my car registrations....

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing your progress with us.

I hope the modules aren't vin coded like BMW. I had to hire someone with special cracking software to re-code used modules for my BMW.
Thanks Michael.

Most of the modules on MB are not coded, unless theft related. The key, the ignition module, the transmission module, are typically coded, along with the central computer (ECU). Everything else not so much. Some of the modules will require options programming, but not so hard to do as long as one has the SDS system- which anyone who self maintains a MB should have.

I know BMW has some crazier things like programming the battery ... what the heck....

Late model, MB S-Klasse with AK plates and tinted windows cruising around Columbia, SC won't get much attention. ;)
Egg Head.... depends which plate I receive from Alaska DMV. The traditional AK mustard plate looks very similar to the NY mustard plate, everyone will think I am from NY..... AK now has a bunch of vanity plates, from a big bear to a artistic plate. Those melt and bring little attention. I am an old guy and not doing much wrong... so not a issue for me. You can find me in the far right lane.......

On a funny note, when I worked in PA, my Wife could not get through the overzealous TSA agents at Harrisburg PA airport (MDT). With her Alaska drivers license with a PA address on it. They stopped her and absolutely would not let her past security. She never had a issue before and never again. She happen to have her passport with her, so she got through. Had I been at the airport, I would of had some serious teaching and training with the TSA.

I travel 8-12 flights per week. Never ever have TSA issues except in PA. Seems they are slow and bored. The worse ever is the TSA at Williamsport (IPT). They only get two flights a day, so they hand search every piece of luggage. I was never happy that a tightly and properly packed suitcase was always disassembled. Once or twice, I get it. Everytime..... not so much.

I used to fly into Harrisburg quite a bit and concur about the Barney Fife mentality there. So annoying I switched to BWI (Baltimore) which was cheaper, offered better time options plus the drive up I-83 was beautiful.

WHAT?! That is..nonsensical.
Why not? I think I stopped using CDs probably around 2010-2012. I have two 6 CD changers in both Mercedes, I'm proud to say I've never used them. I'd say I don't even know if they work, but other people have borrowed my car and said that they work so I guess I know that they still work, in theory anyway. With Bluetooth and spotify or an ipod interface, don't need to burn your own CDs.

Why not? I think I stopped using CDs probably around 2010-2012. I have two 6 CD changers in both Mercedes, I'm proud to say I've never used them. I'd say I don't even know if they work, but other people have borrowed my car and said that they work so I guess I know that they still work, in theory anyway. With Bluetooth and spotify or an ipod interface, don't need to burn your own CDs.
In this case, it was a snob thing. Late model MB owners don't have the time, smarts, or savviness to burn CDs. They buy the factory music CD. So when I found burned CDs..... not the MB owner I wanted as the previous owner.

On another note, I will have a evening with this project car this week. Brought all the parts with me, so may have some time to do some part swaps. Also brought the MB factory diagnostic computer (clone), which may provide more insight than my icarsoft. Failed to bring my oil extractor, and the oil level looked a bit high, so of course I am worried some water may have made it to the engine, so I will not be trying to start the MB even if I get it in a operational place to try. It is in a trailer and the air shocks are dropped so it not so feasible to get to the drain plug.

In this case, it was a snob thing. Late model MB owners don't have the time, smarts, or savviness to burn CDs. They buy the factory music CD. So when I found burned CDs..... not the MB owner I wanted as the previous owner.

On another note, I will have a evening with this project car this week. Brought all the parts with me, so may have some time to do some part swaps. Also brought the MB factory diagnostic computer (clone), which may provide more insight than my icarsoft. Failed to bring my oil extractor, and the oil level looked a bit high, so of course I am worried some water may have made it to the engine, so I will not be trying to start the MB even if I get it in a operational place to try. It is in a trailer and the air shocks are dropped so it not so feasible to get to the drain plug.
Worked on the vehicle a few evenings this week.

Along with the home-made CDs, found even a bigger concern. Under the dash doing some checks/ inspections, came across this:

TRAX GPS Vehicle Tracking System | PassTime GPS trax 6v​

I did not know what this was. It is a vehicle tracking system for finance companies to locate your vehicle for repossession, or disable its ability to start. It is used by a lot of buy here, pay here lots.

A new world of stuff I had no idea about. Finance company installs a tracking system for easy repossession ? WOW.

Another sign that suggest the prior owner may not of been able to afford proper maintenance of a Mercedes :(.

Have to figure out how to remove this module. Sucks this was installed- installation required splicing wires.

Last edited:
Spent the evenings trying to clear can bus errors and signal acquisition module (SAM)errors with no success. Replaced the rear SAM. Went to replace the front SAM, and realized the Seller of the front SAM only included the fuse box , not the actual SAM. So had to order another front SAM. Took the original front SAM out and cleaned it, but it had numerous signs of corrosion on the chips on the circuit board.

Seeing corrosion as some connectors, not a good thing as it appears hard to remove corrosion inside a tiny connector. I spray electrical cleaner as a start. Found major corrosion at the interior left and right fuse boxes. I ordered replacement interior fuse boxes earlier today.

Still a lot of moisture in the car, so pulled the front seats and the carpet. Something I should of done from day one. After pulling the carpet, I found some can bus connections and cleaned them.

Will be back working in the area three days next week, so if the fuse boxes arrive, I will install them in the evening.

This is quite the project. Doing the electrical connection inspection and cleaning I lost the navigation display. I sense connections are fragile, and some that may have allowed amps are no longer. Not worried about it as I will continue to go through every connection. I am worried about how to truly remove corrosion from connections, especially female connectors located inside a plug.

The seven drier buckets are doing there job. They are all 3/4 filled. I will likely replace them next week, but only two replacement buckets.

The best tool I can have for this job is the camera on my phone. Allows pictures to be taken that I can reference for wire configuration and matchup when I get back to my hotel for used parts purchasing on Ebay.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_214333727.jpg
    PXL_20210415_214333727.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20210415_201533438.jpg
    PXL_20210415_201533438.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210415_162307043.jpg
    PXL_20210415_162307043.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20210415_162244617.jpg
    PXL_20210415_162244617.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 65
Worked on the vehicle a few evenings this week.

Along with the home-made CDs, found even a bigger concern. Under the dash doing some checks/ inspections, came across this:

TRAX GPS Vehicle Tracking System | PassTime GPS trax 6v​

I did not know what this was. It is a vehicle tracking system for finance companies to locate your vehicle for repossession, or disable its ability to start. It is used by a lot of buy here, pay here lots.

A new world of stuff I had no idea about. Finance company installs a tracking system for easy repossession ? WOW.

Another sign that suggest the prior owner may not of been able to afford proper maintenance of a Mercedes :(.

Have to figure out how to remove this module. Sucks this was installed- installation required splicing wires.

"TRAX GPS Vehicle Tracking System | PassTime GPS trax 6v"​

Bought from a "buy here-pay here-we finance anyone lot." Complete with home made CDs. I'm sure the previous owner took immaculate care of this vehicle. I am also sure he probably went down to the Nissan dealer and bought a Nissan with the apparently marginal credit he had-after he got the payout on this one.

This is going to be great!

Flew home last night (on a plane heading to east coast now) and had some time to reflect. Looking at the Mercedes diagnostic screens, they are pointing to a CANBUS problem. It could be as simple as a low voltage situation, or as challenging as dozens of corroded connections. As I wait for the two replacement fuse boxes to arrive, I decided to study CAN, which I never really knew some many vehicles have. Discovered a CAN breakout-box is very helpful. Also discovered they are hard to purchase locally. Came across some really good youtube videos on CAN operations and troubleshooting. I have included one below. Also included in the pictures are screenshots of the errors, and a CAN break-out box sold on Amazon. Ebay has the tool for less than half the Amazon price, but they ship direct from China and I don't want to deal with that. If anyone knows of a CAN breakout-box that is warehoused in the USA please share the Seller. I am currently looking at the OTC 3415, $213 on Amazon but takes a while to ship (not a prime product).

I am kind of excited to learn about CAN in cars. Something I had zero knowledge of, and discovered it is common in most newer cars/ trucks. I am doing this work in the evening, learning something rather than sitting around watching commercials on the TV. There are a huge amount of benefits troubleshooting this car, much more than just this car. I am learning a ton and getting my mind back into electrical/ electronics beyond simply 5VDC and 12VDC.

otc breakout box.jpg

PXL_20210415_174546064.jpg
PXL_20210415_180402673.jpg
PXL_20210415_174008012(1).jpg
PXL_20210415_174008012.jpg

Replaced the front SAM yesterday evening, and the two interior fuse boxes. Hit a snag with the fuse boxes. I was unable to figure out how to release the connectors for the end wires, some of watch are somewhat thick. I could always cut the wires as the replacement boxes have the wires cut, but prefer not to go that method.

Purchased a Lisle kit 71750 quick change terminal tool set from Amazon this morning. Hope it is the solution. If anyone has has tips to remove the wires in the corner of the fuse box- I would be grateful for your suggestions. Attached is a picture of the fuse box.

fuse box.jpg
lisle 71750.jpg

I am kind of excited to learn about CAN in cars. Something I had zero knowledge of, and discovered it is common in most newer cars/ trucks.

CAN is also used on BMW motorcycles, and some Honda motorcycles as well.

Reactions: GON
For electrical products look into a product call Corrosion-X, some what expensive but works very well.

YouTube has some nice videos.

Reactions: GON
Little bit of positive news.... SHE STARTS!!!!!

Stopped by the car during lunch today. Just had a few minutes. Last night I attempted to install two interior fuse boxes, but could not complete the installation because I didn't have the proper pin release tool. So I have the new boxes installed, but about 50 percent of the connections are still on the old fuse boxes with no connection. I didn't not bring the keys with me last night.

At lunch today, I put in the key just to see what would happen. To my surprise- she showed as being in park. She had not ever showed being in park, which prevents the car from being eligible to start.

I was a bad boy, and turned it to start. Being bad was she could of been hydro locked. I took the risk, and she turned over and started pretty quickly. Message came up to wait to move the car because the air shocks were filing (she is on a trailer so i was not going to move anyway). Shocks filled up, and about a minute or two the car died.

I checked the fuel gauge, it shows 1/4 filled. I turned over again, she turned but would not start. I am guessing it is a possible power issue to fuel pump, or water in the fuel.

PXL_20210421_152445702.jpg
PXL_20210421_152550383.MP.jpg

I didn’t see any water line in the few interior pics you posted which likely means it was either fresh water or someone really cleaned it well. Fresh water is much easier to clean and get running than silty water with lots of organics in it. Good too see you got it running, briefly. I’m staying tuned for any updates.

I didn’t see any water line in the few interior pics you posted which likely means it was either fresh water or someone really cleaned it well. Fresh water is much easier to clean and get running than silty water with lots of organics in it. Good too see you got it running, briefly. I’m staying tuned for any updates.
Yes, I am confident it was fresh water.

How do I know---- had a puddle of water under the soaked carpet and I tasted the water. No taste of salt :p

Went back to the car to button it up. I am heading home and then off to WDC and El Paso, so will be away from the car for about three weeks.

Added three containers of heat to the gas tank. Restarted the car and it died again after about three minutes. Started it again and it ran for over 20 minutes, until I turned the car off. Seemed to hear a slight miss. Likely a dirty/ rusted MAF... but only speculation on my part.

Going to purchase another interior fuse box. They run about $20 on Ebay, and I can experiment to figure out how to remove the pins without risking the replacements I already have partially installed.

Next update likely in three weeks.

Back