Latest salvage vehicle purchase from Auction (IAAI not Copart)

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Picked up a 2011 s550 from IAAI in Concord, NC. It is my first time purchasing a salvage vehicle outside of Copart.

I was not real motivated to purchase this car, but it happened. My max bid was $7,000. It went to auction last week and I was the high bidder at $6050. Progressive insurance owned the car, and they did not counter the $6050, instead they offered a buy it now at $15,000. They also put it back on the auction block yesterday. I put in a new bid for $7,000. It sold at auction at $5050. I was the high bidder. This time Progressive did not counter, they just accepted the $5050. With fees total out the door price less transportation was $5993. I think considerably less than Copart in fees, but I did not audit.

The car is a flood vehicle, spent its entire life in the southeast of USA. 137k miles. Not well optioned. I purchased mainly to learn about the W221 version of the S-class. I am fluent in the W220 version, but the W220 has technology limitations so I decided to check into the W221s. Not a good time for me to buy as I am being transferred 2200 miles next month. The car is 250 miles form my new job location, but I don't have a place to store so I have some challenges. I am being transferred to Columbia, SC.

If anyone has any suggestions on how/ where to store in the Columbia SC area, please let me know. I am looking to pay for storage.

b.jpga.jpgi.jpgh.jpgg.jpgf.jpge.jpgd.jpgc.jpg

Nice car. I’d definitely check everything over with it being a flood vehicle though I’ve seen that do harm to electrical systems.

I have purchased two flooded S-class(s). My daily driver is a 2005 S-class that was a victim of 2017 Hurricane Harvey. I have put over 60k on it and did a little blog on it on benzworld.org. I never expect to duplicate prior success (luck), but I hope to have some fun with this W221. And I also proovided a link to the S500 I rebuilt that was reported on fire.

And as always- want to mention I in no way recommend ever buying a car at a salvage auction 99 percent are bad buys. It takes full time work in hopes of trying to find the 1 percent, and even that is a gamble.

You have a lot of patience in buying a flood vehicle. Are you planning on keeping it once you get everything working? What's your budget on parts for this car?

I wonder if it is fresh or ocean water.
It makes big difference, i have heard.

Krzyś

PS Best of luck, it seems to be a hobby.

My reply might've sounded snarky, which was not my intent. Back in my consumer car repair days, I dealt with some flood vehicles. They can be a nightmare. Hence my sincere good luck wishes.

Never can tell. Depending on any electronics placed under the seats, and how high the water got, it may be better off than anyone is thinking. If it got up under the dash.....well, can't even speculate on the issues you've taken on here. Does it power up / crank / run?

So not only is it a flood car, it's still soaking wet inside.

Good luck.
That is a very like concern and comes with the risk of the purchase. When I purchased the Houston hurricane flooded S500, someone drilled holes in the floorboard, seemed to be a good move, as the car was dry and zero must or rust when I picked it up months after the hurricane.

If this car is not fixable than I will use it as a donor car for a w221 that was in a collision. White is a pretty popular color.

the electronics are potted hermetically sealed. The troubles are 99% in the harness/connectors. Contaminated or salt water causes weird voltage drops/shorts between connector pins. If they leaked and power is applied you can then fry the electronics. Before aything else id pull and inspect the main connectors for contamination.

You have a lot of patience in buying a flood vehicle. Are you planning on keeping it once you get everything working? What's your budget on parts for this car?
Yes, but I enjoy the challenge. I have three years to get her running, as I will retire in 2024 and likely move west of the Mississippi.

This is a project and yes I will keep her.... if I get her running.... that is my problem, I already have two very well running W220s that I rebuilt and I like to keep them after I fix them.

I use to rebuild 2000-2005 Pontiac Bonnevilles (my favorite sedan for the money), but anything I found in the past five years was not worth trying to bring back to life..... that is why I migrated from Bonnevilles to S-class, a nice riding sedan that has decent performance and above average fuel economy for its size. M 2005 S500 with its V8 gets 25 MPG highway.... and that is I80 in Utah, lots of mountain grades...

I wonder if it is fresh or ocean water.
It makes big difference, i have heard.

Krzyś

PS Best of luck, it seems to be a hobby.
Krazy, I am sure you are right. (could be salt water) Being in North Carolina salt water may easily be in the cards. We shall see. Thanks.

My reply might've sounded snarky, which was not my intent. Back in my consumer car repair days, I dealt with some flood vehicles. They can be a nightmare. Hence my sincere good luck wishes.
No, not snarky at all. Reality is what you posted and we are all here to share, listen, and learn. Yes, it may be a nightmare, but it is a project car, not a needed driver.

Never can tell. Depending on any electronics placed under the seats, and how high the water got, it may be better off than anyone is thinking. If it got up under the dash.....well, can't even speculate on the issues you've taken on here. Does it power up / crank / run?
The dash not lighting up is a real bad sign.... but maybe I will get lucky and maybe not. I know it does not start nor power up... but is that because it is fried, or the insurance guy told the MB service writer to stop after the first hour of diagnoses. And the service tech left things unconnected.

Time will tell.. But I have realistic expectations which are not high.

But the worst thing about this I have yet to post but am now. I never expected to win this at auction, so I did not tell my Wife.

That my friends is my real concern. Buying a $500-$1000 car without Wife's knowledge, not so big of a deal. Spend $6,000 without her knowledge and right before a cross country move.... I have some "splanning to do". Might have to buy her some jewelry or something......:rolleyes:

#1 rule of buying flood cars for fun and profit is to buy one that already runs and drives.
#2 rule of buying flood cars is, if you break rule #1, pay no more than parts value. On a 10 year old S-class that's 3, maybe $4K tops.

I've done good with the few swimmers I've had, but you have to know what you're doing and buy it right to begin with.

Back