Latest salvage vehicle purchase from Auction (IAAI not Copart)

Left Columbia, SC earlier this morning for Tucson, AZ- so buttoned up the car last night. Wish I did not have to button it up, would much rather be airing it out, although the interior is "wet underneath" so not sure how much airing it out really matters. Summer is arriving early to Columbia, the humidity is already present.

Knowing I had to leave this morning and not able to remove the front seats and carpet, I did a few things. It will not solve the moisture issue, but my reduce some of it. I pulled the back seat out, and am keeping it out. I went to Home Depot and bought about 20 feet of PVC pipe. I cut it to useable lengths, and placed the PVC pipe under the front and rear carpets. If I had to do it again I would of brought 3 dozen bath towels, and rotated them under the carpet over the past four days. I also purchased seven DAMPRID 64 ounces containers, and placed six in the car interior, and one on the trunk. Not sure it will help, but can't hurt. They are pricey at $10 each.

Going to pull the plugs and change the oil before starting. I originally thought water did not get above the engine, but with moisture in the engine bay fuse box, I am not so sure. The plugs on the MB appear super easy to pull and replace.

Still not able to start. OBD port error codes point to CAN bus errors. I am thinking there is a connectivity issue between the front and rear SAMS modules. (Signal Acquisition Module). I have ordered new front and rear SAMS, but the ones in place appear functional, but possibly only partially.

The big issue continues to be the car's computer(s) are not talking to the transmission. Talking to the trans is required to start the car for safety reasons. The trans is a drive by wire trans, and car needs to see the trans in park to start. I hope to return to Columbia in three weeks and install the used SAMS I purchased on Ebay.

Last edited:
I imagine those Damprid containers are going to be buckets of water shortly. Do you have anyone that could remove them in a few days and put some new ones in for you?

This car will have issues for years to come and is not worth spending any more time/money on-IMHO.

I though you're from Utah? And the exterior pics do look nice btw.
Thanks Atikovi,

I am in the military, we keep our domicile when we move from state to state. I have a Alaska drivers license with a Utah address. I know- weird.

Excellent write up and enjoy following the progress being made. Really hope it will be made road worthy soon and given a second life.
Thanks Satin Silver.

Think I have a shot.... but no easy slam dunk. Purchased about $300 worth of parts on Ebay today- should cover most of the electrical exposure. But that may not mean much.... time will tell.

So no sales tax I gather? Sweet.
No sales tax, no state income tax.... You know how politics use to work in Alaska (not a political post)- our Senators will vote for absolutely anything as long as the lower 48 pays our state's capital expenses.... Things have changed a bit since Ted Stevens died.

These are the parts purchased so far. May not need them all, but they are priced real well on Ebay. Have to do visual inspection before buying on Ebay- some of the parts looked like they came out of a flood vehicle (I passed on those):

ORDER TOTAL
US $22.47

Order MERCEDES W216 W221 S/CL-CLASS ENGINE MOTOR BAY COMPUTER RELAY BATTERY FUSE BOX

MERCEDES W216 W221 S/CL-CLASS ENGINE MOTOR BAY COMPUTER RELAY BATTERY FUSE BOX
MERCEDES W216 W221 S/CL-CLASS ENGINE MOTOR BAY COMPUTER RELAY BATTERY FUSE BOX

ITEM PRICE:
US $9.99
Item MERCEDES W216 W221 S/CL-CLASS ENGINE MOTOR BAY COMPUTER RELAY BATTERY FUSE BOX
ORDER TOTAL
US $26.80

Order 2010-2013 MERCEDES S CL CLASS - UNDER HOOD FUSE JUNCTION BOX A2215406850 OEM

2010-2013 MERCEDES S CL CLASS - UNDER HOOD FUSE JUNCTION BOX A2215406850 OEM
US $24.93
Item 2010-2013 MERCEDES S CL CLASS - UNDER HOOD FUSE JUNCTION BOX A2215406850 OEM
Add note - 2010-2013 M
ORDER TOTAL
US $53.75

Order 2010-2014 MERCEDES CL S CLASS AIRMATIC AIR SUSPENSION CONTROL MODULE OEM

2010-2014 MERCEDES CL S CLASS AIRMATIC AIR SUSPENSION CONTROL MODULE OEM

ITEM PRICE:
US $50.00
Item 2010-2014 MERCEDES CL S CLASS AIRMATIC AIR SUSPENSION CONTROL MODULE OEM

ORDER TOTAL
US $26.88

Order Fuse Box Junction Terminal Block 2215403950 Mercedes S550 W221 2009

Fuse Box Junction Terminal Block 2215403950 Mercedes S550 W221 2009

ITEM PRICE:
US $25.00
Item Fuse Box Junction Terminal Block 2215403950 Mercedes S550 W221 2009

ORDER TOTAL
US $21.77

Order K075 - W212 W218 MERCEDES E CLS CLASS MEDIA INTERFACE CONTROL MODULE 2049009301

K075 - W212 W218 MERCEDES E CLS CLASS MEDIA INTERFACE CONTROL MODULE 2049009301
US $20.25
Item K075 - W212 W218 MERCEDES E CLS CLASS MEDIA INTERFACE CONTROL MODULE 2049009301
US $154.79

Order ✪ 2010 - 2013 MERCEDES S550 W221 FUSE RELAY SAM CONTROL BOX OEM
✪ 2010 - 2013 MERCEDES S550 W221 FUSE RELAY SAM CONTROL BOX OEM

US $143.99
Item ✪ 2010 - 2013 MERCEDES S550 W221 FUSE RELAY SAM CONTROL BOX OEM
US $64.50

Order ✪ 2010 - 2013 MERCEDES S550 W221 REAR SAM CONTROL MODULE FUSE BOX OEM
✪ 2010 - 2013 MERCEDES S550 W221 REAR SAM CONTROL MODULE FUSE BOX OEM

US $60.00
Item ✪ 2010 - 2013 MERCEDES S550 W221 REAR SAM CONTROL MODULE FUSE BOX OEM
US $57.08

Order ✔MERCEDES W212 E350 E63 E550 CLS550 COMMUNICATION ECU VOICE CONTROL COMPUTER OEM

✔MERCEDES W212 E350 E63 E550 CLS550 COMMUNICATION ECU VOICE CONTROL COMPUTER OEM

Plus eight spark plugs from RockAuto for about $55 shipped...

Also $15 in PVC pipe, $80 in DAMPRID, and $100 in tools (I did not have any tools with me).

I imagine those Damprid containers are going to be buckets of water shortly. Do you have anyone that could remove them in a few days and put some new ones in for you?
No, car is in a fenced RV trailer storage lot......... Don't know anyone in Columbia, SC.

A Saturday morning update drinking coffee in Arizona.

Purchased this to learn about the W221, because IMHO the W220, which I am fluent in, are at the end of their lifecycle for rebuilding as a daily driver. Not many W220 around that are not absolutely tired, and when I say that I am refereeing to things life seat foam.... not drivetrain.

I definitely overpaid for this W221, but the used car market is crazy high, so I guess everyone in a macro sense is overpaying right now. Had this 221 been dealer maintained- I would not be saying I overpaid, although I still might be saying that.

Seeing it was parked outside, Chinese tires, and appears not well maintained,,,, and the depth of water damage... I overpaid. On a good note, the body looks very clean less the headlamps... and white is a very popular color, so I can always use this car as a collision damaged donor.

Last edited:
Purchased this to learn about the W221, because IMHO the W220, which I am fluent in, are at the end of their lifecycle for rebuilding as a daily driver. Not many W220 around that are not absolutely tired, and when I say that I am refereeing to things life seat foam.... not drivetrain.
I daily drive older vehicles than that. If you like the 220 I’d get a cream puff that hasn’t had 14 different owners

I daily drive older vehicles than that. If you like the 220 I’d get a cream puff that hasn’t had 14 different owners
I have a W220 daily driver now. Very dependable and for a v8 driving through mountains daily, very fuel efficient. It is black with the AMG sport package and has awesome options not found on most W220s. 205k miles.

The seats are tired, don't give the support of newer seats. And not thrilled with the factory bluetooth option it has. Time to move up to a w221. I didn't do this lightly. I have two F350s, a 2002 with a V10 and a 2007 with a V8. No reason to replace them- they are for towing trailers. But for my daily driver- want the seat and drivetrain tightness and tech features that are no so available on a W220.

I have a W220 daily driver now. Very dependable and for a v8 driving through mountains daily, very fuel efficient. It is black with the AMG sport package and has awesome options not found on most W220s. 205k miles.

The seats are tired, don't give the support of newer seats. And not thrilled with the factory bluetooth option it has. Time to move up to a w221. I didn't do this lightly. I have two F350s, a 2002 with a V10 and a 2007 with a V8. No reason to replace them- they are for towing trailers. But for my daily driver- want the seat and drivetrain tightness and tech features that are no so available on a W220.
If I didn’t let the supercharger clutch turn on I could get 25mpg highway with my E55, they are surprisingly fuel efficient.

I would slap one of those factory looking head units with carplay/android auto in it, but I have pretty low standards for gadgets. The command screen felt super outdated even 10 years ago.

As you're probably aware any MB service center can pull up the dealer service history of your VIN and www.iseecars.com can show the purchase history.
Thanks EH.

Yes, I do acquire the purchase and service histories before buying. I also purchase the EpicVin report, which also shows all the pictures of the vehicle when it was for sale as a used car, etc.

On this car, I placed a bid I did not expect to be the winning bid, and overlooked criteria that should of taken this car off my watchlist. I am an older guy.... but did not have the discipline I would like to of had with this purchase.

Although I have not received the title or plates yet, viewing my on-line banking this morning I see the Alaska DMV cashed my check for $115, which means the title and plates are on the way vis USPS.

So, no additional work, inspections, or hoops to jump through required for car to be street legal.

That $115 includes title, plates, and two years of registration. Not so bad...

Now.... can I get the car street worthy, that is another question...... I did receive all the electrical parts, will be back at the car installing them late April.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, thanks for sharing your progress with us.

I hope the modules aren't vin coded like BMW. I had to hire someone with special cracking software to re-code used modules for my BMW.

Back