Interesting S500 at IAAI Seattle today

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interesting 2005 S500 at IAAI Seattle today. 120k miles, in near flawless condition. I inspected the S500 yesterday, all the vehicle needs is a rear bumper, left rear taillight. The front-end damage is not worth even noting. The mechanical condition is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Even the front air shocks were just replaced (not cheap), and as a pair, which says volumes on how this car was maintained.

Very rarely does a vehicle go to auction in this condition. No way this is a salvage vehicle. I am the high bidder at $2550, but won't go a penny more. I am in a bid war with one other person. Without the other person, this vehicle may have sold for $1,250. Of note, State Farm is the Seller, and no way of knowing what their reserve is.

Very good looking except for the two booboos. Looks like a $3222 bid plus whatever 2 bumpers and a taillight cost. Probably another $3222 if not more.

As much as I'm a sucker for Luxury cars I never see them on the top of "Longevity" lists except for Lexus. I do like Mercedes autos very much still. I guess it's about the experience you get driving one with sacrificing lifespan.

Very good looking except for the two booboos. Looks like a $3222 bid plus whatever 2 bumpers and a taillight cost. Probably another $3222 if not more.
Only needs one bumper, the rear, which is very easy to obtain (the front bumpers are harder to find). Black is a super popular color for this model, so not even painting is likely required for the replacement bumper.

As much as I'm a sucker for Luxury cars I never see them on the top of "Longevity" lists except for Lexus. I do like Mercedes autos very much still. I guess it's about the experience you get driving one with sacrificing lifespan.
Many secondhand owners of Mercedes don't maintain there vehicles to "standard". A Mercedes V8 sedan maintained to standard are very often bullet-proof vehicles. No argument whatsoever that Lexus is the standard for long term low cost operations for luxury vehicles.

Your numbers are way off. This vehicle is under $500 for all parts. Labor of three hours, and those are very easy labor hours (not complex).

The problem with this vehicle is that is was very lightly optioned.

No SIRIUS
No vented seats
No bluetooth
No parking sensors
No rear door shades
No AMG exterior package
No 18" factory rim upgrades

The car is very plane jane, and although looks nice, the AMG package, the 18" rims, and the vented seats are what are big improvments in the looks of this model W220 Mercedes

No, just a very minor fender bender. Quarter panel has zero visible damage.

I speculate the insurance adjuster priced out the bumper and that was all it took. The bumpe ron the Mercedes has multiple parts that add up quickly. If one buys used, the bumper has the parts. Add the tail light, front bumper scuff, and risk of hidden damage, on a 18 year old car, the adjuster may have decided to just reduce risk by totaling.

What the adjuster isn't looking it is new tires, new air shocks, new plugs, new valve cover gaskets, etc. If the car had zero of that, the payout to the insured would still be more likely than not the same payout.

What is "Bill of sale"? Is that normal for Washington?
Bill of sale is what the DMV requires in the state of Washington when a vehicle is identified as a "total loss" in the state of Washington. The state has to inspect the vehicle to get a title. And of note, the vehicle must be transported to the inspection, can't be driven to the inspection.

And of supplemental note, Washington is only one of two states in the USA that will allow the titleing of a car deemed "non-rebuilder able". States to include Florida and Texas identify some cars as never to be rebuild, must be scrapped. Washington will allow titleing of that car, but afte rtitleing, most states will not allow a title transfer of that car to theri state.

Sold for $3200. Out the door likely $4100.

At $4100 in today's market, a fantastic deal for the Buyer. One of many notes on this, the soft close worked on all four doors, unheard of for a vehicle this age unless properly maintained. This was a rust free AWD, again unheard of. Most AWD sedans lived some of their life in the upper midwest of northeast.

Great deal- I just couldn't justify another vehicle unless the price was significantly less- but the Buyer of this sedan got a great vehicle at a super price.

I'd have gone $3222. I could have had it!!! No clue about getting it to Texas or titled or plates or anything though.
The Buyer was from Nampa, ID. I have been against him on two other vehicles, he has overpaid on at least one of them. I don't know how high he would have gone on this vehicle. I think this vehicle was easily worth 8k USD in today's market. It was so very clean, I have the maintenance records and all I can say is wow.

Shipping to Texas would have been in the $1400-2300 USD range. The issue is one has four days to have the car picked up, or the storage fees are $30 per day. That equates to $900 per month. If I had won this auction, I would have just taken an Uber to pick up this car- it was truly road worthy. That can be a (rare) plus with some salvage vehicles, they were not meant to be sold, but a unforeseen event put them at auction. Many used cars with clean titles are sold with undisclosed problems, or in need of major maintenance activities.

Sometimes one has to lose to win. I lost this car, but won as I don't have to dance around to my Wife why another car on the insurance policy.

Back