High bidder on this salvaged s500

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Bidding on this salvaged S500. I am the high bidder, could care less if I win it or not.

I have replaced the hood and front left fender on a S500 before, pretty easy. I understand and know the bent parts internal to the front left end. The huge cost in all of this is the left headlight of all things. They are near impossible to find a quality replacement.

If this vehicle was not close, I would not bother bidding. I don't like the way it was optioned- essentially has zero options. But it is the holiday season- so Santa will see if I win the auction.

I have nowhere to park it, so I know PimTac is not too far from me and I am sure his Wife won't mind if I park this smashed up Mercedes in her driveway for a few months/ or longer.

No market for W220 unless AMG or really low mileage. I could pick one of those up with no damage for $1200 to $1500 all day long.
Not looking for a market- just a project and something I will keep or give away to a friend that wants a S class.

No, you can't get a S class post face lift that is clean and low mileage all day long for $1200-$1500 all day long. I have looked at dozens of W220 post facelift in your area (in person) and never ever found one that was decent in that price range- not even close. What one would find in the $1200-1500 range was a POS S class that was never maintained. Huge difference.

Looks pretty nice for a 2004 and it appears to be an easy fix if the engine runs and the airbags are ok. Hope you get it!
JC,

Thanks- I did history check and like what I saw. Also, under the hood shows the vehicle was mechanically cared for. A few other indicators suggest the car was likely better cared for than mist 17-year-old vehicles. My high bid is $525, with fees I will be just under $900, plus the time and cost of getting the car home.

I don't expect to win the auction- but if it happens, it might be a fun little project.

JC,

Thanks- I did history check and like what I saw. Also, under the hood shows the vehicle was mechanically cared for. A few other indicators suggest the car was likely better cared for than most 17-year-old vehicles. My high bid is $525, with fees I will be just under $900, plus the time and cost of getting the car home.

I don't expect to win the auction- but if it happens, it might be a fun little project.
If you do get it for that price you'll end up with a nice car for a good price.

Reactions: GON
Pretty sure they would take $1500 for this one.

2006 430.jpg

I always liked that generation. My FIL had a black 03 or 04 when I met my wife. It had the AMG or sport appearance package with the blockier AMG wheels. It had massage seats and a bunch of fancy features for the time. I always assumed they all got exported because I NEVER saw them here. That might have been the car he had to sign something saying he wasn’t going to export it when he got it, actually.

Good luck with the auction. I’d imagine if those are Xenon lamps they cost as much as you’ll get the car for, or more.

I don't know about what you posted- but a AWD W220 in FT Lauderdale almost always equals a salt bathed North East USA W220
Did a google search on that AWD W220, and it comes up as having mechanical issues- likely a part reason it is at the auction.

I always liked that generation. My FIL had a black 03 or 04 when I met my wife. It had the AMG or sport appearance package with the blockier AMG wheels. It had massage seats and a bunch of fancy features for the time. I always assumed they all got exported because I NEVER saw them here. That might have been the car he had to sign something saying he wasn’t going to export it when he got it, actually.

Good luck with the auction. I’d imagine if those are Xenon lamps they cost as much as you’ll get the car for, or more.
RH,

Yes, you are spot on reference the cost of the headlamps. I do have two brand new ones and a handful of used ones in a stash. The issue with the headlamps revolves around the internal wiring has the isolating material fall of the wire, thus shorts wires together.

RH,

Yes, you are spot on reference the cost of the headlamps. I do have two brand new ones and a handful of used ones in a stash. The issue with the headlamps revolves around the internal wiring has the isolating material fall of the wire, thus shorts wires together.
The first gen Cayenne / Touareg have this same issue. They're not too hard to completely re-wire with patience and pins.

Others have de-pinned and put heat shrink on each circuit.

• Helpful
"Friendly' MB Service Departments have given me vehicle maintenance history on VIN's. Some don't give any info. others only at their location and a rare few will give out info within the entire US service group. Helps if they know you or you have a previous relationship with them. It's not too hard to find out which dealer originally sold that car and start with that group. Good luck with you bid, looking forward to more stories.

Pre-bid on the S500 ends in the next 40 minutes. Pre-bud price is already $1400, which means over $2000 minimum after auction fees. I am not keeping up with the times, I think well over what the S500 should sell for, after one purchases the parts needed to bring up to snuff. And the S500 only has one key, second key only dealer can sell, that is another $400.

Maybe someone else has the parts to do the repairs. If not, that S500 is now over $4,000 (all in) to have properly road worthy.

I can't believe pre-bid is at $1400. wow. Maybe the shortage of used cars overall and inflation is really changing prices and I have not kept up.

Of note " Pre-Bidders: 3 people currently pre-bidding". I was one of the pre bidders, so the price is rising because of two guys pre-market bidding adainst each other. Likely not pros at this- and both are "jonesing" for this car. They may not know what they are getting into. This is what can make a auction so profitable for Sellers and auctioneers- two people that "HAVE TO WIN".

Pre-bid on the S500 ends in the next 40 minutes. Pre-bud price is already $1400, which means over $2000 minimum after auction fees. I am not keeping up with the times, I think well over what the S500 should sell for, after one purchases the parts needed to bring up to snuff. And the S500 only has one key, second key only dealer can sell, that is another $400.

Maybe someone else has the parts to do the repairs. If not, that S500 is now over $4,000 (all in) to have properly road worthy.

I can't believe pre-bid is at $1400. wow. Maybe the shortage of used cars overall and inflation is really changing prices and I have not kept up.
I think maybe the cars are coming into their own. Almost every good car gets cheap at some point, gathers a following, and gets expensive.

The S500 sold at auction for $1400, so out the door about $2100. Buyer was from Idaho Falls, ID- so I suspect about $400 for self transport in fuel. Hard time of year to haul across the mountains.

Zero bidders (after pre-bid placed), so no a big demand whatsoever for this S500 at $1400, just came down to two people that wanted this S500 and were willing to pay a generous amount. I suspect without these two parties; this car may have sold for under $500 (before auction fees).

All it takes is two parties that have to have it- and the price can go to the moon. I just watched a 335i get into a bidder's war, between a party In Hollywood, FL and Kirkland, WA. The computer ran auction knows the two parties are motivated, and kept extending the auction, and the price kept rising.

It gets a bit crazier with this S500. $1400 did not meet the Seller's reserve- it is now a buy it now at $2588. I don't understand the shift in the marketplace and have not personally inspected the vehicel, but $2588 is $3263 out the door, before tranportation costs from the auction lot. The part and labor to repair, inspection for conversation from salvage to rebuilt title, and in the end a nice car with a rebuilt title.

Not sure I can justify the buy it now selling price under most any scenerio- except a overall shortage of used cars that I don't comprehend.

It gets a bit crazier with this S500. $1400 did not meet the Seller's reserve- it is now a buy it now at $2588. I don't understand the shift in the marketplace and have not personally inspected the vehicel, but $2588 is $3263 out the door, before tranportation costs from the auction lot. The part and labor to repair, inspection for conversation from salvage to rebuilt title, and in the end a nice car with a rebuilt title.

Not sure I can justify the buy it now selling price under most any scenerio- except a overall shortage of used cars that I don't comprehend.
Probably for buyers from Eastern Europe.

Back