Late Model Corolla 1.8L 0W20 Or Thicker OK ?

So, what would you say to a 20 weight that had an HTHS of a 30 weight? I know of a couple of such oils. What about a thick 20 weight compared to a thin 30 weight? You do recognize that any grade is a range, and the actual "thickness" of the oil could vary quite a bit.
Yes of course. But we can’t have an infinite number of grades, so each grade has a range. So again if 20 grade is specified, use with confidence.

There is nothing wrong with 20 weight oils - BITOG community have been using them with success for 2 decades.
I personally like the extra cushion that 30 weight oils give me for times when my vehicles are operating under heavy load/higher temperatures,
like going up long inclines with car fully loaded.

Is there any reason you're running 0W-40 in your 2012 Honda Accord EX-L.

The last time I used a 40 weight oil was in my 1985 Toyota Camry which I kept until the year 2000.
Those were the good old days when Toyota recommended 10W-40 for summer use and 10W-30 for Winter use
in their 1983 to 1986 Toyota Camrys.
Possibly more protection for a high reving 4 cylinder engine.

I owned a 1997 Honda Accord EX with sunroof that recommended 5W-30 all year round.

I know 20 weight oils are adequate, but I can't wrap my head around using them in any vehicle I own due to their borderline HTHS = 2.6 protection.
If the same engine in Europe or Australia is speced for 5W-30 or 5W-40, no harm in using 5W-30 or 5W-40 in the U.S. in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed 10 ago used 5w40 in all new Japanese vehicles, in Europe I mean with no bad effect. I cannot imagine to put in Corolla 0w16 and drive it like stollen at German autobahn.
For every dayly use 0w20 with speed restriction in us is pretty adequate….
For my experience the truth is in the middle 5w30, 0w40 and 5w40 for my purpose- constantly driving with 4000 rpm and above.

You are leaning pretty hard on the use of the word shear in your posts. In many instances the biggest source of viscosity loss is fuel dilution. Since basically every UOA we see posted here doesn't include HTHS, we really don't know how much it gets impacted on average.
Good point - the Toyota 1.8L (non turbo) is an old school PFI system , so less fuel dilution except for short tripping) but still far less than a GDI engine .

Only on the night shift when the inspector goes home 🤔
Or when the boss says ship that red tagged lot on the MRB shelf.

He has to make his commitment. Later when the customer complains. There is a huge battle between Quality and Manufacturing management again!

Sadly Been there too many times

Reactions: 4WD
Back