toyota 2AR-FE best oil to use in HOT weather?

As for the phone, it doesn't have a thermostat. And why are the engine temps higher in summer than winter? They shouldn't be. Sounds like your radiator might be getting clogged and isn't shedding heat like it did when new. Most of the later model cars I've driven have the temp gauge rock steady after warm up.

If outside or "ambient" temperatures have no influence on anything, than why are the engine temps higher and the fan runs more aggressive in summer than winter? Also why does my phone get much warmer in summer than winter when in use?
Because unless the system is out of bounds (thermostat fully open but temperature above limit) then no, it doesn't matter. Fans can run and temperature differential at the radiator can be less, but still the thermostat controls the temperature.

It's not that the ambient temperature "has no influence" on anything, it does. Just not on operating temperature as long as the system isn't overwhelmed.

The lower block skirt and oil pan shed heat to ambient environment. You will see somewhat higher sump temps in hot weather, but the major driver is engine loading.

Don’t forget about your transmission fluid. I have the same vehicle, and have some threads on here regarding how to change the fluid. The fluid is most definitely not lifetime fluid. My buddy has a 2014 rav4 that has never had a trans fluid change. It blew the trans at 160k. Cost him $6,000 to fix with todays labor rates.

Because unless the system is out of bounds (thermostat fully open but temperature above limit) then no, it doesn't matter. Fans can run and temperature differential at the radiator can be less, but still the thermostat controls the temperature.

It's not that the ambient temperature "has no influence" on anything, it does. Just not on operating temperature as long as the system isn't overwhelmed.
You just confirmed in what i mentioned that higher ambient tempretures result in higher operating tempretures — sure they're within within designated parameters for the given ambient temp but are still higher.

You just confirmed in what i mentioned that higher ambient tempretures result in higher operating tempretures — sure they're within within designated parameters for the given ambient temp but are still higher.
Only if the thermostat is unbounded. It’s not a range it’s a regulated set point.

why are the engine temps higher and the fan runs more aggressive in summer than winter?

Cooling power (in watts) is proportional to the temperature difference (e.g. water temperature - ambient temperature)*.

Let us assume the water temperature is kept stable at 95C/203F by a thermostat. For ambient 20C/68F the temperature difference is 75C/135F, for ambient 45C/113F the difference is 50C/90.
If the cool summer (20C/ 68F) cooling power is 100% then during a very hot summer day (45C/113F) the cooling power drops to 66%. To compensate for the reduced cooling power the fan has to be switched more often to prevent overheating.

Therefore in hot weather, the natural cooling power is significantly reduced, if the engine load is high the water temperature might be elevated thus the oil temperature might be elevated. Moreover, in hot weather, the natural cooling of the oil sump and the engine bay by the air is also reduced.
As long as the fan is not running, the thermostat is fully capable of stabilizing the water temperature, and thus the oil temperature is also well managed. If the fan has to run most of the time to keep the water from overheating, the oil temperature is also likely to be at least slightly elevated.

Back