2013 Lexus GS350 Oil Weight

Hi guys,
2013 Lexus GS350, 100k miles. Just wondering if I can get some input on my next change. The manual recommends a 0w20 or 5w20 but it also has some vague language that states I can use a thicker weight for high speed or extreme loads. I do tend to drive pretty quickly, typically 80+ when I'm on highways, if traffic allows.
Should I use a 5w30? I would imagine the 30w will shear down to a 20w over time. Oil I have available is Kirkland synthetic 5w30 if that matters.
Thanks for the input

Attachments

• PXL_20230619_133345160.jpg
    PXL_20230619_133345160.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Give it a try. Give it time to wear in maybe 200- 500 miles. If it feels too thick ( sluggush around town) drain 2 qts and add 2 qts of Kirkland 0W20. The 5W30 does very well on high speed highway commuting in my past experience in "going up a grade ( weight)" in performance engines

Give it a try. Give it time to wear in maybe 200- 500 miles. If it feels too thick ( sluggush around town) drain 2 qts and add 2 qts of Kirkland 0W20. The 5W30 does very well on high speed highway commuting in my past experience in "going up a grade ( weight)" in performance engines
I mean it's a Lexus, so it's only real mode is sluggish lol. Would I actually notice a difference like that from a small weight change?

I mean it's a Lexus, so it's only real mode is sluggish lol. Would I actually notice a difference like that from a small weight change?
So a 300hp v6 is sluggish? I know the car is heavy, but, you may need a better free flow air filter and then a MAF clean and if that doesn't work maybe some fresh 02 senors. Something's going on there. I have found factory oiled spun polymer fibre filters to be very restrictive valuing dirt catching over airflow.

Yes I noticed loss of response on 4 cylinders. Running a 20 grade oil then going to a 30 was quite noticeable around town - as if you are now pulling a trailer or driving through mud.

So a 300hp v6 is sluggish? I know the car is heavy, but, you may need a better free flow air filter and then a MAF clean and if that doesn't work maybe some fresh 02 senors. Something's going on there. I have found factory oiled spun polymer fibre filters to be very restrictive valuing dirt catching over airflow.

Yes I noticed loss of response on 4 cylinders. Running a 20 grade oil then going to a 30 was quite noticeable around town - as if you are now pulling a trailer or driving through mud.

from Edmunds -

Performance & mpg
The 2013 Lexus GS 350 is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine making 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic with manual shift paddle control is the only available transmission, but buyers can opt for a GS 350 with either rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.

In Edmunds testing, a rear-drive GS 350 with the F Sport package accelerated from zero to 60 mph in a swift 5.8 seconds. The EPA estimates fuel economy at 19 mpg city/28 mpg highway and 23 combined, while the all-wheel-drive version rates a bit less at 19/26/21.

Just about everyone falls under the extreme category. If it doesn't burn with a 20 it's fine but i'd run a 30 anyway.
Everyone extreme? How so?
I feel like the manufacturer purposely leaves this vague because it gives them an out if something goes wrong. Not that it matters now anyway. The car is well outside warranty and its built well. Very likely we will get rid of it before we face any engine wear issues anyway.

Lol I should elaborate. The car is of course fairly quick, however it's not enjoyable to point and squirt. It's better for highway cruising and eating up miles. I Don't care for 0-60 times (I have other wheels for that) and the throttle isn't sharp, never has been and I believe that's by design.

Everyone extreme? How so?
I feel like the manufacturer purposely leaves this vague because it gives them an out if something goes wrong. Not that it matters now anyway. The car is well outside warranty and its built well. Very likely we will get rid of it before we face any engine wear issues anyway.

Lol I should elaborate. The car is of course fairly quick, however it's not enjoyable to point and squirt. It's better for highway cruising and eating up miles. I Don't care for 0-60 times (I have other wheels for that) and the throttle isn't sharp, never has been and I believe that's by design.
Just about everyone drives on the highway going at a high speed and that puts more load on the engine. Air resistance is quadratic, even a light to mild headwind at highway speeds will make some vehicles start to burn oil because it really increases the engine load. But that's why i said "if it doesn't burn with a 20 it's fine" As in keep using it regularly. But if it burns a bit use a 30 grade. If it doesn't then you can use either depending on what you have on hand. Considering you already have 5w-30 I'd just run the 30 grade anyway. If you had 0w-20 on hand instead i'd tell you use run that 20 grade anyway just the same.

Never tried one - I am rooted in my gen mid-sixties performance - but cheap enough plug N' pLay toys.

Sorry, this post is turning in to a Gen- Z JDM fanboi mod catalogue slayr, bet?

Not familiar with GS350 engine, but for ES350 they changed oil from 5w-30 to 0w-20 in 2013 while keeping the same exact engine

Not familiar with GS350 engine, but for ES350 they changed oil from 5w-30 to 0w-20 in 2013 while keeping the same exact engine
Yes, and I’m successfully using 5W30 in that engine now...I’d venture to guess that 5W30 would be fine in the GS350 as well.

Just about everyone drives on the highway going at a high speed and that puts more load on the engine. Air resistance is quadratic, even a light to mild headwind at highway speeds will make some vehicles start to burn oil because it really increases the engine load. But that's why i said "if it doesn't burn with a 20 it's fine" As in keep using it regularly. But if it burns a bit use a 30 grade. If it doesn't then you can use either depending on what you have on hand. Considering you already have 5w-30 I'd just run the 30 grade anyway. If you had 0w-20 on hand instead i'd tell you use run that 20 grade anyway just the same.
I’ve never heard of this theory in my life, interesting. I have wondered if the high speeds of highway driving cause oil consumption simply because of less throttle plate opening for long durations of time=higher manifold vacuum=possible oil consumption, but that’s just a theory (and soemthing I read years ago). And I’m nor sure any of it’s true anyway.

My Rx 350 has 295 hp and is sluggish off the line too. Push the pedal and nothing happens so you push more it starts to roll and then you push more and all of a sudden it takes off and you're at red line. The 0-60 time is pretty slow too.

I’ve never heard of this theory in my life, interesting. I have wondered if the high speeds of highway driving cause oil consumption simply because of less throttle plate opening for long durations of time=higher manifold vacuum=possible oil consumption, but that’s just a theory (and soemthing I read years ago). And I’m nor sure any of it’s true anyway.

This would be a good read on that subject. It's the most recent post that brings it up.

Back