Late Model Corolla 1.8L 0W20 Or Thicker OK ?

Curious for those that have late model 1.8L Corollas - I believe they call out 0W20 oil . Does the manual state if thicker oils such as 5W20 , 0W30 or 5W30 are allowed ?
Is anyone successfully using thicker than 0W20 and if so , what are you using ?

regards of recommendations i would opt for a 10-30 in your heat or prolly 5-30 if under warranty as most 10-30 dont meet manufacturers specs BUT is better IMO

Due to tightened fuel economy mandates in US Toyota recommends use of 0w-16 and 0w-20.
For example in Australia fuel efficiency standards have not been implemented yet and Toyota recommends oil grades 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30.
If I had late model Toyota 1.8 or 2.0 my preferred grade would be 5W-30 or 10W-30.

Could there be a problem not using recommended oil grade if still under warranty? Possibly. The latest Toyota Maintenance and Warranty Details have this provision.: Warranty would not be covered due to lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids and fuel other than those specified in the Owner’s Manual.

Last edited:
Arbitrarily recommending a higher weight is not the best advice.
If they recommend 0W-20 I would go with that unless you can find specific information on whether your particular engine is prone to fuel dilution, etc.
I guess that's why you asked? It would be helpful to know exactly which model year we're talking.

I gave my sister my 2004 Corolla when I moved on from it. I always used 5w30, mind you that is what was specd. Before I did my own changes a mechanic put 5w20 Valvoline HM in it instead of the 5w30. Knowing the newer Corollas used it I was okay but skeptical. After about 1,000 km or so I had enough it was eating me alive. Going up a grade is fine to me, going down is not.

I drained it, refilled the car with PP HM 5w30 and I was satisfied. Those low viscosity oils can do the trick, no doubt, but again CAFE standards and all. I rather give up a few MPG than the condition of my engine no matter how miniscule it may be. A quality oil filter like Wix/NAPA and Fram TG/US goes a long way as well. These cars are so well built and can handle abuse that it's ridiculous.

i spend (before the flu panic shut down travel) alot of time in southeast asia where toyota 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8 liter engines are ubiquitous. i have never seen -w20 oil for sale. if you go out of your way to ask at an auto parts shop you can find -w30, otherwise big box stores there pretty much only have -w40 on the shelves. my french made, u.s. spec, 2014 yaris 1.5 specifies -w30 and i would put $1, mexican made, dollar tree store -w30 sn oil in it before any -w20.

Reactions: FZ1
I gave my sister my 2004 Corolla when I moved on from it. I always used 5w30, mind you that is what was specd. Before I did my own changes a mechanic put 5w20 Valvoline HM in it instead of the 5w30. Knowing the newer Corollas used it I was okay but skeptical. After about 1,000 km or so I had enough it was eating me alive. Going up a grade is fine to me, going down is not.

I drained it, refilled the car with PP HM 5w30 and I was satisfied. Those low viscosity oils can do the trick, no doubt, but again CAFE standards and all. I rather give up a few MPG than the condition of my engine no matter how miniscule it may be. A quality oil filter like Wix/NAPA and Fram TG/US goes a long way as well. These cars are so well built and can handle abuse that it's ridiculous.
My last winters OCI was with PUP HM 5w-20 I did see one difference it went from using its generally standard 1 cup of Oil in a 5 to 6K miles OCI to nearly two cups. That may have been coincidence. I'll know more the end of April this year. As for losing MGP well very likely it won't be MPG it very likely to be 1 or 2 tenths of a MPG at best. Presently I don't see anything coming out of the car companies that has impressed me so much I need to dump the Corolla.

My last winters OCI was with PUP HM 5w-20 I did see one difference it went from using its generally standard 1 cup of Oil in a 5 to 6K miles OCI to nearly two cups. That may have been coincidence. I'll know more the end of April this year. As for losing MGP well very likely it won't be MPG it very likely to be 1 or 2 tenths of a MPG at best. Presently I don't see anything coming out of the car companies that has impressed me so much I need to dump the Corolla.
Keep me posted on this. What do you usually use as the original fill for the Rolla? Yes you're right, mpg loss will be very miniscule and won't be a "whole" digit. Interesting enough, I have not had any serious consumption on the car been using PP HM 5w30 for two intervals now.

The 04 corolla and the years that followed were golden. Those engines can take a beating as well as those transmissions. I use to redline the snot out of that car with my highschool buddies. I kept the oil changes on point, hell I even used castrol 0w-30 GC in that car a few times that's how much I loved it. I still love it, no ABS or traction control it's a real peach to drive in the winter with winter tires on. Sister learned on it and I believe it made her a better driver. She needs a upgrade now though car is showing its age.

I'd go with the manufacturer's recommendation at least until the warranty has expired. Check the owners manual. Sometimes the manual will give oil type options depending on operating temperature.

Arbitrarily recommending a higher weight is not the best advice.
If they recommend 0W-20 I would go with that unless you can find specific information on whether your particular engine is prone to fuel dilution, etc.
I guess that's why you asked? It would be helpful to know exactly which model year we're talking.
OP Here : Considering the 2018 - 2021 Toyota Corolla LE 1.8L and curious how oil recommendations would play into my stash of 5W30 synthetic oils used for other vehicles ? I do not believe the Toyota 1.8L 139 H.P. is a DI engine , so fuel dilution is not a concern . *Supposedly Toyota went to 0W20 because of tighter tolerance builds of the engines allowed for the oil formulation (one would think CAFE may play a part as well ?) ... Also of note is what oil weight is specified for Australia and Europe for the same 1.8L Corolla engine ? That would tell me if any sort of true warrantee was being violated (unless Toyota is building different 1.8L engines for those regions - (highly doubtful ?)

Keep me posted on this. What do you usually use as the original fill for the Rolla? Yes you're right, mpg loss will be very miniscule and won't be a "whole" digit. Interesting enough, I have not had any serious consumption on the car been using PP HM 5w30 for two intervals now.

The 04 corolla and the years that followed were golden. Those engines can take a beating as well as those transmissions. I use to redline the snot out of that car with my highschool buddies. I kept the oil changes on point, hell I even used castrol 0w-30 GC in that car a few times that's how much I loved it. I still love it, no ABS or traction control it's a real peach to drive in the winter with winter tires on. Sister learned on it and I believe it made her a better driver. She needs a upgrade now though car is showing its age.
I generally use what is on sale. The 5W-20 I got on sale a WM after the dust settled and I got my rebate 1 for 3 applied for the oil cost me $4 a Jug. So I've used most of the popular brands and anything from 5w to 10-30. It all works. I'm 6 weeks or so out from my next OCI depending on weather.

I generally use what is on sale. The 5W-20 I got on sale a WM after the dust settled and I got my rebate 1 for 3 applied for the oil cost me $4 a Jug. So I've used most of the popular brands and anything from 5w to 10-30. It all works. I'm 6 weeks or so out from my next OCI depending on weather.
4 dollars a jug? That's a dream here in Canada haha! Our OTC oils on sale are equivalent to what you guys in the states pay for the regular price, such a rip off.

In Australia we get fully imported Toyota cars, straight off the regular production line. We are way too small a population for a special engineered design, and what for anyway?

We can get full synthetic 0W20 to mineral 15W40 in every auto store, so we are not limited in oil selection either.

From the Oz net lube guides, which must reflect the Australian owner’s manual, you get:

Corolla Hybrid, ZWE211R, 1.8 Ltr 2ZR-FXE Eng., CVT Trans. (2018-2021)
0W20, 5W30, 10W30, 15W40

Corolla, MZEA12R, 2.0 Litre M20A-FKS Eng. Man/ CVT Trans. (2018-2021)
0W20, 5W30, 10W30

BTW here is a BITOG link to pictures of the 2018 Camry Hybrid VVTI Owners Manual, Toyota say you can use 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and 15W40.

Last edited:
Here are the UOA from Blackstone on my 2010 1.8L. It pretty much like nothing you throw in it.

*So , internationally we see that the OM states 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and 15W40. In Georgia , USA (*the other penal colony) I use 5W30 synthetic in all vehicles with a cSt @ 100 C. off approx. 10 ~ 11 (i.e. M1 , QSUD , Valvoline) so I should be safe to keep my stash standardized with 5W30 synthetic unless the Toyota OM states the 1.8L Corolla engine will grenade itself if other than 0W20 is used .

Back