Valvoline SynPower w/MaxLife 5w30, 5,338 miles, 2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8L

Engine continues to love anything I put in it. For reference on prior analysis:
3/8/20: Amsoil OE 5w30
8/3/19: Phillips 66 Shield Choice 10w30
4/27/19: Amsoil OE 0w20

The MaxLife stayed within its grade when compared to the prior two changes. Noticed some titanium in there. Other than that, just a plain Jane report. Wrote Blackstone back to see what the average miles is for the universal average. I’ll edit when I hear back. Put Amsoil SS 5w30 in this time to get me into next spring - winter oil changes and I don’t get along. 😎

3A79FFFC-D043-49C3-B7F2-E9AD7961B54F.jpeg

Looks as though she does like anything. Only ~90K miles on her?...Nice!
Since all of the OCIs look so similar, you may want to just stay with the le$$er expensive SYN oils offered on store shelves.

Certain model years of those Toyota 1.8L in your Corolla [could] be oil burners but you don't seem to have one of them and it is unlikely that this will change. And even the oil burners among them were long lasting(from owners who kept an eye on oil level) and still very reliable.

You may want to consider Full SYN oils on sale or something such as the full syns from SuperTech, CarQuest, ProLine(all very good in fact) and stay with around 6K-7K mile OCIs. That's what I am doing with the CIVIC in my signature. However, if you're using Amsoil, I don't believe that price is a concern to you...* this is not a knock toward you nor Amsoil. ;)

Looks as though she does like anything. Only ~90K miles on her?...Nice!
Since all of the OCIs look so similar, you may want to just stay with the le$$er expensive SYN oils offered on store shelves.

Certain model years of those Toyota 1.8L in your Corolla [could] be oil burners but you don't seem to have one of them and it is unlikely that this will change. And even the oil burners among them were long lasting(from owners who kept an eye on oil level) and still very reliable.

You may want to consider Full SYN oils on sale or something such as the full syns from SuperTech, CarQuest, ProLine(all very good in fact) and stay with around 6K-7K mile OCIs. That's what I am doing with the CIVIC in my signature. However, if you're using Amsoil, I don't believe that price is a concern to you...* this is not a knock toward you nor Amsoil. ;)
Likely going forward I’ll go with Phillips 66 Shield Choice synblend 5w30 during the warm months for 5-6k changes, since Orscheln Farm & Home here in the Midwest has it on sale every couple of months for $1.69-$1.99/qt. Once fall rolls around, Amsoil SS for the cold flow properties since we see sub-zero temps in Indiana. This is the 2nd Corolla my wife’s had. We bought a 2004 new and got 245k miles out of it before moving up to this 2010. In the 14 years we had the ‘04 it I never need an ounce of top-off oil, and that included one OCI that I took to 11k miles with Amsoil XL. I believe the oil burners were prior to the 1ZZ-FE that came out in the late 90’s.

Likely going forward I’ll go with Phillips 66 Shield Choice synblend 5w30 during the warm months for 5-6k changes, since Orscheln Farm & Home here in the Midwest has it on sale every couple of months for $1.69-$1.99/qt. Once fall rolls around, Amsoil SS for the cold flow properties since we see sub-zero temps in Indiana. This is the 2nd Corolla my wife’s had. We bought a 2004 new and got 245k miles out of it before moving up to this 2010. In the 14 years we had the ‘04 it I never need an ounce of top-off oil, and that included one OCI that I took to 11k miles with Amsoil XL. I believe the oil burners were prior to the 1ZZ-FE that came out in the late 90’s.
My previous 2001 burned a little oil with the 1zzfe. Seems like after 2003 they fixed the issue. My 2008 is a gem with only 128k and no oil burning.

SynPower, Phillips 66 and Amsoil in 5W30, 10W30 and 0W20 they all worked great. If you didn’t tell us what they were it would have been almost impossible to pick them.

I like the Valvoline SynPower 5W30 for viscosity retention and the Phillips 66 Shield Choice 10W30 for the low iron and aluminium wear numbers (even taking distances into account).

That Toyota engine should be happy on almost any viscosity oil, given the correct cold starting abilities for your winter, which sound very could to me (living in tropical Australia).

You might find the Australian print of the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid VVTI manual interesting, they say you can use any of: 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 within your winter starting suitability. Yes not your exact car, but it shows what Toyota finds acceptable around the world.

SynPower, Phillips 66 and Amsoil in 5W30, 10W30 and 0W20 they all worked great. If you didn’t tell us what they were it would have been almost impossible to pick them.

I like the Valvoline SynPower 5W30 for viscosity retention and the Phillips 66 Shield Choice 10W30 for the low iron and aluminium wear numbers (even taking distances into account).

That Toyota engine should be happy on almost any viscosity oil, given the correct cold starting abilities for your winter, which sound very could to me (living in tropical Australia).

You might find the Australian print of the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid VVTI manual interesting, they say you can use any of: 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 within your winter starting suitability. Yes not your exact car, but it shows what Toyota finds acceptable around the world.

This is from the Australian owners manual of a 2009 Corolla (same 2ZR engine as our 2010). Once I read this, I had no worries about running anything in it. Very similar to the Camry you referenced, but with the addition of 20w50 as acceptable.
IMG_1196.JPG

It boggles my mind why people think running a 30 wt in an engine where the manufacture recommends 20 wt will cause what ever the engine. But then,,,,

Back