Lambo Murcielago RLI at 1,800 mi., 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears the Lambo's German roots are showing vs the Enzo's pure Italian heritage; i.e. the oil temps more closely matching the coolant temp.

I think the Lambo experiment with light PCMO's is a more severe test than the Enzo. Not just the 7.9 cSt oil vs the 8.6 cSt in the Enzo but the higher oil temps and more mileage, as low as it is.
Even so, you appear to still have a sufficiently large cushion from bearing wiping with a 7.9 k'vis. I'm guessing the design minimum vis (HTHS) for the engine is somewhere in the 4.0 cP area.
Plus you have the advantage of running a very light oil (relative to the spec' grade) at start-up and during warm-up
which can only be beneficial in terms of minimizing wear not to mention the piece of mind of not having to be so concerned when 'giving it the beans' before the engine is 100% up to temperature.
Seems like a win-win to me.

I had the pleasure of having lunch with Hartmut Feyhl from Renntech this past weekend. We discussed the destruction of a car with only 15km on the odometer. The engine was pieces internally at many points. There were large particles in the oil filter. The conclusion was that the owner proably was revving the engine up without actually driving the car causing cavitation from too thick an oil. Yes, just one story but this is more usual than race track use at 200 MPH for the average owner in my experience.

Doc. Haas, you will have to ship the car out here. I have roads with enough space to get the car to at least 150 mph!!!

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
I had the pleasure of having lunch with Hartmut Feyhl from Renntech this past weekend. We discussed the destruction of a car with only 15km on the odometer. The engine was pieces internally at many points. There were large particles in the oil filter. The conclusion was that the owner proably was revving the engine up without actually driving the car causing cavitation from too thick an oil. Yes, just one story but this is more usual than race track use at 200 MPH for the average owner in my experience.
The engine should always be at operating temps before wot. It is basic knowledge and if you don't know it oh well. I have had several 7,500 Rpm big block Chevies in my boat and never had any lube caused failures running 15w-40 HDEOs . I always warmed up the engine by gradually increasing the load untill the oil pressure stabilized.

It's a more cultured version of BITOG when it comes to the thick:thin debate. I do applaud the fine doctor's demeanor over such matters. He appears to keep a 68-72 heart rate and lower blood pressure in text form. Others seem to get somewhat excited.

I don't understand why you've agreed to track your car with 20W when you have stated at least a hundred times that thin oils aren't made for this.

Actually the oil is a 30 grade but thinned with use and fuel dilution. In fact it has been further developed to withstand the Enzo better in a newer version of their 0W-30 at my request:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263977

I can always track the car with any oil and pay attention to the pressures and oil temperature. This will tell me where I can go with it and still be safe.

aehaas

I thought you could take first up to about 80MPH in first so why would anyone run along doing 80MPH in first gear? I can be lazy at times but never too lazy to reach down and shift gears?

Oh and Dr AE Hass how did you help someone ruin an engine? I mean your UOA have all come back just fine with the thin is in oils? So what is this person talking about?

"Oh and Dr AE Hass how did you help someone ruin an engine? I mean your UOA have all come back just fine with the thin is in oils? So what is this person talking about?"

He was saying that somebody he knew used a grade thinner and "blew up" his engine because of it.

In the Enzo there is no shifter on the floor nor a clutch peddle. It is done via paddle shifters on the steering wheel, F1 style. The clutch is engaged/disengaged automatically/hydraulically. This is unlike my wife's Murcielago where there are 6 on the floor and a hefty clutch peddle.

Also, I like to massage the internals by running up the RPM and in any other gear than first I would be going faster than safe for my driving area. Plus, I like the sound. There is essentially no wear penalty so why not. UOA shows lower wear than other owners of the same cars and filter element exposure shows no large particles. By all methods other than tear down I have essentially low normal wear.

The flash point is usually related to the fuel dilution and it is severe in all my cars.

aehaas

Personally, I turn my crank with a hand drill and prime my engine with oil that way before I use my egine at all.

I'm kidding of course, but some people take the "issue" of start-up and thin/thick too far. You don't blow up engines because of thick or thin oil, you blow an engine up because of a) stupidity b) fun c) all of the above.

Less work ..more play ..more road trips to stretch the Enzo's legs. NV or AZ ..5 star all the way ..no valet parking allowed.

One point that has been over looked about the RLI 0W-20 is that while the k'vis 100C spec' may be only 7.9 cSt it's HTHS vis is something greater than 2.9 cP which makes this bio-ester based oil more comparable to a light 30wt like M1 0W-30 as far as operational viscosity is concerned vs most typical 20wts which have a HTHS vis of only 2.6 cP.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
One point that has been over looked about the RLI 0W-20 is that while the k'vis 100C spec' may be only 7.9 cSt it's HTHS vis is something greater than 2.9 cP

Ya it's too bad RLI doesn't give any more specific HTHS # for its PCMO offerings. As I recall regardless of grade the spec sheet only shows HTHS as > 2.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back