2019 Ferrari 812 Superfast, 1,009mi on 0W-30 RLI oil and 3,700mi on the Car

I previously ran the OEM provided 5W-40 Pakelo oil then changed to Renewable Lubricants Inc. (RLI) 0W-30. As always, going thinner. But again, my track days are over. Ferrari recommends only the one oil for all usages. Interesting that the previous front engine 6.0L V12 spec’ed the Shell 10W-60. But I found it to become a 40 grade oil in the first 1,000 miles so they have all been using just a 40 grade oil most of the time.

The 812 oil temperature runs at 170 - 180F around town depending on how hard I run up the RPM. On the highway (say 80 MPH) it is about 165 - 175F, cooler at all times.

Sure, this car has a little more break-in now but the UOA difference is compelling. I plan to run this oil another 1,000 miles then let Ferrari do another oil change. The car comes with 7 years of free service, a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I did the most recent service myself. Next will be the real test, going back to the thicker Pakelo oil after using my thinner RLI oil. The dealer uses the Pakelo oil. FYI, Ferrari supposedly does the initial engine wear-in on the bench then installs the engine in the car. Later they run the car on their track. The cars are always delivered new with 40 - 50 miles on the clock.

UOA compare 812.jpg

Results:

The thicker, Pakelo oil, took more of a viscosity hit with a little less fuel dilution than the RLI. The Pakelo thinned to a thick 30 grade oil. The RLI stayed in grade, so a 30 grade oil works fine in this engine.
I used less then half a qt. of make up oil with the 0W-30 and at least a full qt. of the 5W-40 oil for the same interval. The motor uses 12 - 13 qts.

Wear metals from this 0W-30 are nil, just as in my Ferrari Enzo that spec’ed the same 10W-60 grade Shell oil of the previous V12 engine.

Half of the generous amount of TBN was used up from the Pakelo oil but only a small portion of the RLI oil. I am not sure what this means.

I like the lower NOACK and higher flash point of the RLI oil compared to the Pakelo oil. The lower 40C viscosity is something I always admire, typical of HOBS based oils (among other benefits).

I always have to run up the RPM within a minute of leaving my house. I have to get on a highway at 55 MPH with heavy traffic. I appreciate the lower 40C viscosity of this oil. I believe it helps diminish the wear during the start up period that we know lasts up to 15 - 20 minutes of driving.

Note that the RLI oil is different than other oils being essentially a “vegetable based” oil. This is my go-to oil as it always seems to excel in engine protection as far as I can tell. I worked with the formulator to tweak the oil back in my early Enzo days. Other than paying the $5,500 current yearly API fee plus a per gallon fee to use the API rating the RLI has none of those regarded certifications as MB229.5, VW502, 505, BMWLL01 and the like. I go by results, not certifications.

After the next test of the Pakelo oil once again, I will likely go to the RLI 20 grade oil. Should I try a 5W grade after that???

Ali

I previously ran the OEM provided 5W-40 Pakelo oil then changed to Renewable Lubricants Inc. (RLI) 0W-30. As always, going thinner. But again, my track days are over. Ferrari recommends only the one oil for all usages. Interesting that the previous front engine 6.0L V12 spec’ed the Shell 10W-60. But I found it to become a 40 grade oil in the first 1,000 miles so they have all been using just a 40 grade oil most of the time.

The 812 oil temperature runs at 170 - 180F around town depending on how hard I run up the RPM. On the highway (say 80 MPH) it is about 165 - 175F, cooler at all times.

Sure, this car has a little more break-in now but the UOA difference is compelling. I plan to run this oil another 1,000 miles then let Ferrari do another oil change. The car comes with 7 years of free service, a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I did the most recent service myself. Next will be the real test, going back to the thicker Pakelo oil after using my thinner RLI oil. The dealer uses the Pakelo oil. FYI, Ferrari supposedly does the initial engine wear-in on the bench then installs the engine in the car. Later they run the car on their track. The cars are always delivered new with 40 - 50 miles on the clock.

View attachment 141742

Results:

The thicker, Pakelo oil, took more of a viscosity hit with a little less fuel dilution than the RLI. The Pakelo thinned to a thick 30 grade oil. The RLI stayed in grade, so a 30 grade oil works fine in this engine.
I used less then half a qt. of make up oil with the 0W-30 and at least a full qt. of the 5W-40 oil for the same interval. The motor uses 12 - 13 qts.

Wear metals from this 0W-30 are nil, just as in my Ferrari Enzo that spec’ed the same 10W-60 grade Shell oil of the previous V12 engine.

Half of the generous amount of TBN was used up from the Pakelo oil but only a small portion of the RLI oil. I am not sure what this means.

I like the lower NOACK and higher flash point of the RLI oil compared to the Pakelo oil. The lower 40C viscosity is something I always admire, typical of HOBS based oils (among other benefits).

I always have to run up the RPM within a minute of leaving my house. I have to get on a highway at 55 MPH with heavy traffic. I appreciate the lower 40C viscosity of this oil. I believe it helps diminish the wear during the start up period that we know lasts up to 15 - 20 minutes of driving.

Note that the RLI oil is different than other oils being essentially a “vegetable based” oil. This is my go-to oil as it always seems to excel in engine protection as far as I can tell. I worked with the formulator to tweak the oil back in my early Enzo days. Other than paying the $5,500 current yearly API fee plus a per gallon fee to use the API rating the RLI has none of those regarded certifications as MB229.5, VW502, 505, BMWLL01 and the like. I go by results, not certifications.

After the next test of the Pakelo oil once again, I will likely go to the RLI 20 grade oil. Should I try a 5W grade after that???

Ali
These results are much more convincing that there are some instances where thinner oils still do a sufficient job protecting the engine. Your Navigator (Expedition?) results were a dumpster fire compared to this UOA.

Looks like this instance may be fine, but I don’t yet feel you can say this works across the board. 👍🏻

I'd run some HPL Super Car oil in that car. They're a forum sponsor on here if you haven't heard of them and can answer any questions you have.

The oil is what Red Line sold me. THEY call it a 0W-5 oil:

I assume it is the second grade from the top of the J300:

sae-j300-engine-viscosity-table.jpg

I got a Virgin Oil Ananysis:

sss.jpg

Red Line states the HTHS is 1.58. I had it measured and found the VOA had a HTHS of 1.84 as per Savant Labs. The J300 does not specify a HTHS range for this grade. The UOA in the Lincoln showed oxidative thickening as the HTHS became 1.99 and the 100C viscosity was measured at 5.4 despite around 2% fuel dilution.

It met the J300 min. 100C viscosity of 3.8 being 4.9 (VOA) measured by Polaris Labs.

This is what I used in the Navigator. 'Best I can do.

Again, I do not actually plan on putting this into the Ferrari. I made that statement/suggestion in jest.

Ali

I thought it might be interesting to get a pH reading of the virgin oil. And before anybody asks, as any good chemist, I calibrated the meter at both pH 7.00 and 4.00 before taking this reading:

IMG_2490.JPG

The oil is what Red Line sold me. THEY call it a 0W-5 oil:

I assume it is the second grade from the top of the J300:

1677308779772.jpg
It's shown as "5WT" (5 WeighT) on the RL bottle ... but it's actually 0W-5 (also written as 0W5) to be precise (as RL shows), not a "5W".

No it's not the 5W in the J300 table, it's a 0W (RL says it's "0W5"). This was pointed out in another thread where you used the same notated J300 table.

Capture+_2023-02-24-23-00-38-1.png

Last edited:
Back