Ko-ken Nut Grip Sockets vs. Magnetic Sockets

Was considering a set of 1/4" dr magnetic sockets (mainly need 10 and 12mm) and came across these "Nut Grip" sockets from Ko-ken. They appear to use ball bearings on each side of the hex to retain the fastener, which could be more desirable than having a magnet.

Does anyone own a set of these?

Sorta choking on the price although I guess if you used them everyday.

Only real advantage over magnets is they would work on non magnetic fasteners?

I have not used them yet, or really even felt the need. I can see how there are situations where they may be useful. And as mentioned, the retaining feature will work on non-magnetic fasteners which is a plus.

If your goal is to have every type of socket, then it is a must have.

Only real advantage over magnets is they would work on non magnetic fasteners?
Plus they will not attract metal filings/shavings.

I have not used them yet, or really even felt the need. I can see how there are situations where they may be useful. And as mentioned, the retaining feature will work on non-magnetic fasteners which is a plus.

If your goal is to have every type of socket, then it is a must have.
There are a few Toyota applications (e.g. 2GR alternator and Prius EGR cooler) where having a magnetic 12mm would have been super handy, so this should theoretically fill that void. I currently just stuff the nut into the socket with a piece of napkin, but something more elegant (and reliable) would be nice.
Yes, in both 1/4" and 3/8" - they work great. Thank you to @Sam_Julier for recommending them.
Went ahead and ordered the deep's from Zoro with a coupon. I was pleasantly surprised that they're offered in shallow/semi-deep/deep, but I'll stick to deep for this specialty use.

I bought a cheap set of Ampro 1/4 and 3/8 sockets and some magnets and made my own, I used the Ampro because they had a shallow broach but just deep enough to fit the magnets and allow the whole bolt head in the socket, I just eyeballed the fit.
Loctite super glue has held them in for years and not failed. I used the stronger magnets that really hold the bolt tight, IIRC the 14-19mm have 3-5lb pull, bolt heads are usually not flat so you don't feel that amount of pull but its strong.

Subaru flex plate bolts sure benefited from the 14mm and a locking extension, it is on top of the engine, drop the bolt and you are worse than screwed. The ones from Koken look fine and I am sure they work okay but until what I am using is not good enough I don't need them. Good for Titanium and aluminum fasteners though.

I bought a cheap set of Ampro 1/4 and 3/8 sockets and some magnets and made my own, I used the Ampro because they had a shallow broach but just deep enough to fit the magnets and allow the whole bolt head in the socket, I just eyeballed the fit.
Loctite super glue has held them in for years and not failed. I used the stronger magnets that really hold the bolt tight, IIRC the 14-19mm have 3-5lb pull, bolt heads are usually not flat so you don't feel that amount of pull but its strong.

Subaru flex plate bolts sure benefited from the 14mm and a locking extension, it is on top of the engine, drop the bolt and you are worse than screwed. The ones from Koken look fine and I am sure they work okay but until what I am using is not good enough I don't need them. Good for Titanium and aluminum fasteners though.

I use K&J magnets for PS fluid reservoirs. Excellent.

Attachments

• 1EABF154-BB6B-46BA-B117-53F640D00990.jpeg
    1EABF154-BB6B-46BA-B117-53F640D00990.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 22
  • C36C5412-FA5B-4196-8E9B-0967F7DDB6B4.jpeg
    C36C5412-FA5B-4196-8E9B-0967F7DDB6B4.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 22
I’ve looked at these but just couldn’t justify the price. I have a set of 1/4 Astro magnetic sockets that I use all the time. To be honest the don’t leave me wanting for much.

Use a piece of paper towel or blue paper shop towel placed over the fastener, place socket or wrench over the fastener. It will hold well to start or remove a fastener.

Back