Kia K5 GT oil suggestions

But the first drain of the factory fill was basically just clean oil. It smelled a bit sharp, which I imagine was from the first tank of 87 that the dealer put in, but other than that it was good clean oil.

When we bought our Stinger, the dealer told us the engine had break in oil. Not sure if that is accurate, but if it is, they may use it in the 2.5L. Perhaps that was the smell?

When we bought our Stinger, the dealer told us the engine had break in oil. Not sure if that is accurate, but if it is, they may use it in the 2.5L. Perhaps that was the smell?

I'd love to know how the dealer knew that. Nope, they don't know, they're just lying through their teeth. Half the time they don't even know what kind of oil they're selling you in their service department. Modern, mass-produced engines don't ship with break-in oil. It's not like your Stinger came with a flat tappet V8 that needs break-in oil or you just did a cam swap in your HEMi. DOHC motors ship with regular oil in new cars. But hey, they need to say something to either make that sale or seem smart ;)

I'd go Quaker State 5W-40 because it's the most up-to-date formulation (same thing as PP Euro 5W-40). The Walmarts around here still have it in API SN Plus formulation, however, as soon as I can find it in API SP it's going in the 2017 Santa Fe. I have yet to see any true benefit of Castrol EDGE 0W-40. I based my recommendation on other's experience that ran it in Turbo engines, however, so far there is nothing special about it. In the HEMI, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, after 5000 miles looks almost like new on the dipstick. Granted, I went to a 180F thermostat and did a grille shutter delete. It's very good oil. Mobil 1 (Exxon) and PP/QS (SOPUS) are pretty much number one.
ok well that narrows it to between QS Euro 5w-40 and the M1 FS 0w-40. The QS is cheaper per bottle, but the M1 has a rebate...

I'm not running it because it's "high mileage" oil. I have been running this oil for years because it's a thick 30 grade instead of a Resource Conserving 30 grade that's really just barely above a 20 grade for thickness. This M1 oil also has a higher HTHS than many other 30 grade oils on the shelf today. Viscosity at 100C is 12 cst, most 30s are closer to 10.

Basically that bottom end is under massive load when the boost comes on, and you have to allow for some fuel dilution from the GDI. At least I do.
I have to agree, high mileage means nothing other than specific add pack, that high mileage vehicles need. This add pack also works well in situations noted by the author. I lease a HYUNDAI KONA and love it. oil service is part of my deal, so its done at the shop, high revving Otto cycle engine, made in China, everything else KOREA, Seven speed transmission makes it peppy, cruising at 70mph 34.8 mpg. Had her since October 2020 and she has 20k miles, it is a perfect cross over vehicle, room for 5, with a fair sized hatch. I was quite shocked that regular, 5w20 is being used, at about 7k intervals. I don't want to sound like an ADVERTISEMENT for my dealership, but while waiting for the car, another customer had bought a used HYUNDAI SONATA , he had drivability issues, turns out the knock sensor was bad, a known problem, and they replaced his plugs for no cost . I know that i kinda high jacked this thread, but these are seriously great cars to drive the pants off.

I'd love to know how the dealer knew that. Nope, they don't know, they're just lying through their teeth. Half the time they don't even know what kind of oil they're selling you in their service department. Modern, mass-produced engines don't ship with break-in oil. It's not like your Stinger came with a flat tappet V8 that needs break-in oil or you just did a cam swap in your HEMi. DOHC motors ship with regular oil in new cars. But hey, they need to say something to either make that sale or seem smart ;)
I have to disagree, sorry, i am on first name terms with the guys and gals and even the clean up crew. Everything is up front no bull. I Drink Starbucks Coffee and Hot Chocolate as i wait, everything is documented, receipts given, etc. Making a statement, that is so general, without first hand knowledge, is just wrong. My dealer had a 2015 Maserati on the lot from a sister location, 35k and super slick. Being semi-retired now, i can make any excuses to stop on by. BTW, while the Stinger is DOHC, it runs like a rabbit on speed, and research shows that some issues were noted in early, product. hyudai/kia, has been on a continues improvement process, and that's why i fully believe the statement. BTW, my Salesman didn't try any stuff, i have sold cars, i bought it, period end of story.

I have to disagree, sorry, i am on first name terms with the guys and gals and even the clean up crew. Everything is up front no bull. I Drink Starbucks Coffee and Hot Chocolate as i wait, everything is documented, receipts given, etc. Making a statement, that is so general, without first hand knowledge, is just wrong. My dealer had a 2015 Maserati on the lot from a sister location, 35k and super slick. Being semi-retired now, i can make any excuses to stop on by. BTW, while the Stinger is DOHC, it runs like a rabbit on speed, and research shows that some issues were noted in early, product. hyudai/kia, has been on a continues improvement process, and that's why i fully believe the statement. BTW, my Salesman didn't try any stuff, i have sold cars, i bought it, period end of story.
My first visit to my local dealer in Tallahassee was fun for me. They did sell me the wrong oil filters, but everybody was nice. One of the sales guys came up to me and did the quiet, "Is that a GT?" :D So I talked cars for a few minutes.

At one point, Honda shipped their vehicles with break in oil, so who knows. If anything, it prompts me to do some research.

My first visit to my local dealer in Tallahassee was fun for me. They did sell me the wrong oil filters, but everybody was nice. One of the sales guys came up to me and did the quiet, "Is that a GT?" :D So I talked cars for a few minutes.
following this post, i visited my friend Kim, also switched his vehicle. Same experience could not be happier

Went with M1 FS 0w-40. The QS Euro 5w-40 was SN+ stock and it's really hard to not take advantage of the awesome rebate Mobil has going right now. $15 back on a 5-quart jug gets you 5 quarts for $7-8 (don't feel like doing math), so I'm still under $20 for a full syn oil change.

The drained oil had darkened a bit, had a slight whiff of fuel but not like the first oil change. There was some very fine sparkly bits in the bottom of the filter housing, but not much at all. It was from some of the yellow metals as it had a golden brass kind of look to it. And we are talking just a tiny bit. I wiped it out real good, changed the O-ring and put it all back together. Car is running great

Pics posted in filter forum

EDIT

Did math, it's $22.37 + tax for 5qt jug of M1 FS 0w-40. so adding tax that's $23.94, subtract the $15 back and grand total of $8.94 for 5qt of M1 FS 0w-40

$1.79 a quart. Not too shabby. I know we have some members that wheel and deal and keep it under $1 a quart by stalking sales, but I don't have that kind of time.

Last edited:
I have nothing constructive to add to the oil discussion, however, as an owner of a new 2022 Kia Stinger GT2 this has been a very knowledgeable and timely thread.

Congrats on your K5 GT. That is a very nice car. 👍

Time to bump the thread:

I just purchased a 2022 Kia Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD (2.5T). Just purchased the OEM filter (26350-2S000, $12 at dealer) and began looking for Castrol Edge in the recommended 0W-30 weight/rating and it ain't happening. Seems like Edge is in 0W-20 oil (which I ran in the wife's 2014 Rogue for 140K miles flawlessly till we traded for the Sorento) or 5W-30. Living in TN with our semi-mild winters, I think I'd be fine at Castrol Edge 5W-30 with an OCI of 4K miles. Plan on changing it out after 1K miles or so. After reading this thread, I might just stick with Castrol Edge 0W-40, same OCI once I'm well broken in.

BTW: I do run Castrol Edge 0W-40 w/Fram Ultra filters in my Turbo Kia (modified) with 4K OCI. That engine is very tough on the oil even with running 93 octane, catch cans and a sharp ECU tune. I have several UOA showing how Castrol Edge is much better than M1 0W-40 Euro oil in my specific engine/state of tune.

>> Holy cow this 2.5T engine is super snappy and the wet clutch DCT in Sport mode is FUN! I'm VERY glad I got the AWD version.

I have a feeling they chose 0w30 as the specified oil because you can't get a conventional 0w30. It doesn't make sense to have the 0w30 in just about half of the US, but it is usually made with better base oils to get the "0" rating. I don't see how a 5w30 or even a 10w30 would hurt anything. Probably no different than many vehicles that went from specifying 5w20 to 0w20 all of a sudden.

You have to realize that some of the decisions they make are to keep the complete morons out there in check, at least somewhat. Although honestly, most oil change places will pour anything into any vehicle and not care what so ever. I think the manufacturers are just trying to get the best results for themselves to keep warranty cost minimal.

I'm curious to see if fuel dilution will be an issue in those engines since they are port injection as well as GDI. I am interested in getting one when the market calms down a bit. Just want to see how these engines turn out first.

Time to bump the thread:

I just purchased a 2022 Kia Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD (2.5T). Just purchased the OEM filter (26350-2S000, $12 at dealer) and began looking for Castrol Edge in the recommended 0W-30 weight/rating and it ain't happening. Seems like Edge is in 0W-20 oil (which I ran in the wife's 2014 Rogue for 140K miles flawlessly till we traded for the Sorento) or 5W-30. Living in TN with our semi-mild winters, I think I'd be fine at Castrol Edge 5W-30 with an OCI of 4K miles. Plan on changing it out after 1K miles or so. After reading this thread, I might just stick with Castrol Edge 0W-40, same OCI once I'm well broken in.

BTW: I do run Castrol Edge 0W-40 w/Fram Ultra filters in my Turbo Kia (modified) with 4K OCI. That engine is very tough on the oil even with running 93 octane, catch cans and a sharp ECU tune. I have several UOA showing how Castrol Edge is much better than M1 0W-40 Euro oil in my specific engine/state of tune.

>> Holy cow this 2.5T engine is super snappy and the wet clutch DCT in Sport mode is FUN! I'm VERY glad I got the AWD version.
My answer will always be 0w40, 5w40, or 10w40 in any Korean car.

Time to bump the thread:

That's a solid choice. I currently run EDGE 0W-40 in my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport /w 2.4L Theta II without any problems (Fram Titanium filter). The 0W-30 they recommend is a fuel economy choice and makes very little to no sense at all. Even dealerships just run bulk 5W-30 in these Turbo engines. If you buy a Hyundai Tech Info subscription/access, you'll see that at the technician level, multiple oil viscosities are allowed for each motor, up to 20W-50.

Mobil 1 FS 5W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 are also very good choices, especially the Quaker State. I ran the QS in my Hyundai for a few thousand miles and I was amazed how clean it stayed and how clean it kept the engine. I do however have a huge stash of Castrol, so I will use that up first.

I have the same 2.5T in my Hyundai Sonata N Line which calls for 0W-30 full synthetic. I use Mobil1 AFE 0W-30.

2021_hyundai_sonata_n_line_5_2560x1440.jpg

I have the same 2.5T in my Hyundai Sonata N Line which calls for 0W-30 full synthetic. I use Mobil1 AFE 0W-30.

View attachment 79167
It would be interesting to know how that M1 AFE 0W-30 performs in your Turbo. If I had one of these I'd run M1 FS 5W-40. I love how it performs in my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa FE SE 3.3L V6.

For my second upcoming oil change for my Kia Sorento 2.5T, I will use Castrol EDGE 5W-30 for the first 5 quarts (1 jug) and Castrol Edge 0W-40 for the remainder (~1.3 quarts from the 5 quart jug) running 87 octane Top Tier gas and 4-5K OCI w/OEM filter cartridge.

So far, at 4.5K miles (I changed the factory oil at 1K using Castrol EDGE 5W-30 w/OEM filter), the oil is still light colored and doesn't smell of fuel. Very different from my '12 Kia Optima 2.0T (tuned) running Castrol EDGE 0W-40 oil which gets dark at ~1K miles.

I think the MPI and GDI seems to make a difference here. The 2.5T is super fun to drive with the AWD system.

Comments?

Back