kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?

Please let me know when your Hyundai can even come close to carrying the Civics jockstrap when it comes to resale value. :rolleyes:
Oh boy you nailed it on that one🫣. Best advice is when you Unload your Hyundai is try to use a combined dealership that sells Hyundai . That way if you are desperate you can grab another 🙈 Hyundi and if you are trading for another brand you won’t get RAPED quite as badly. That trade in is truly eyewatering to say the least. Been there done that……

they are now nonexistent in today’s world.

A lot of this isn't because they are inherently bad cars, but because parts/service support is lacking. They were a good value when new, but there was no intention of them being in service 15+ years later, even if they were capable of it with a good supply of replacement parts.

Getting parts for an older Hyundai or Kia is often difficult. Some stuff we still stock like Sorento u-joints (at $105 or so each) and coolant reservoirs, but on the early "luxury" cars, forget it. Aftermarket support for Hyundai/Kia is even worse than OE, which compounds the problem.

What's really going to bite Hyundai/Kia is their inability to supply collision parts for very new cars. It really upsets people when they buy a new car, it gets wrecked in a few months, and the parts to repair it are on backorder with no ETA. Yet, there are new cars on the dealer lot. You can't explain it to customers, and if Hyundai/Kia keeps it up, they are going to hurt the reputation they are trying to build. Having a nearly new car out of service for months due to a lack of parts is not good for building customer loyalty and trust in the brand.

We had several FESTIVAs . 1990 L Plus w/ 3 speed auto . Also had a Blue '91 L with the 4 speed manual (?) and a Red '94 with the 5 speed manual . Amazing interior room for the size . Liked the rear seat that would fold to the upright position close to back of the front seat . Did put a new love seat ( w/ fold out single bed ) in the car . They were scrappy cars that could take a beating . Seen one go for over 130,000 miles that was neglected .

Is there a trend here...maybe...no...???

Going through all these posts...I beginning to think that all the issues people are having with Kia/Hyundai engines are with the 4 cylinders. There doesn't seem to be that many complaints about their V6s (or their V8s even though they haven't made that many).

I don't have any personal experience with Kia/Hyundai 4 cylinders other than an occasional rental, but my sister-in-law had a 2013 Sorento with the 4cyl that left here stranded in AZ (she lives in Atlanta) with less than ~60K She went to a Highlander after that.

Now, I do have Kia ('08 Sorento) with the 3.8L V6...and I know I am only a sample of 1, but that engine is a beast. 200K+ miles and still going strong...cranks right up every morning and no strange noises. It will even put some modern crossovers to shame from a traffic light. Transmission...not relative here since it is a Nissan unit...everything seems ok except the rear end...OMG!...if only Kia copied Toyota here...

Every time one of these Hyundai/Kia threads pop up, I can’t help to think these are not this forms favorite brand.

And it also appears if you’re over at say 35 you don’t like Hyundai or Kia 😂
It's called experience..... Every single one of us when we were young, in our teens and early 20's thought we were smarter than the old folks, couldn't figure out why they were so stupid, it was once we got a bit of experience under our belt that we looked back and thought "Boy was I stupid back then". But it takes some folks longer than others to figure it out.

I remember when I was a kid my dad telling me "One day I'll just turn stupid, then years later when you grow up, you'll realize I wasn't so stupid after all". You know what, he hit the nail on the head.

I have noticed a trend, almost everyone here bragging of "no issues" has 30, 50, 70,000 miles. It seems that if you trade your car every other year a Kia or Hyundai is probably fine, but if you aren't a fan of debt and like to keep your cars a while, Kia and Hyundai probably aren't the way to go. If you were to ask the same question about a Camry or Corolla, or even a Civic, you'd be seeing responses in the 200,000 to 300,000 mile range. Yes, in the current Brandon silliness Toyota vehicles are overpriced, but then again, everything is. If you plan to keep a vehicle a while, to me the Kia/Hyundai feels like a very bad investment.

It's called experience..... Every single one of us when we were young, in our teens and early 20's thought we were smarter than the old folks, couldn't figure out why they were so stupid, it was once we got a bit of experience under our belt that we looked back and thought "Boy was I stupid back then". But it takes some folks longer than others to figure it out.

I remember when I was a kid my dad telling me "One day I'll just turn stupid, then years later when you grow up, you'll realize I wasn't so stupid after all". You know what, he hit the nail on the head.
Can you just go right to the point please? So you’re saying people who own Kia and Hyundais have no experience? You said a lot without saying anything.

I have noticed a trend, almost everyone here bragging of "no issues" has 30, 50, 70,000 miles. It seems that if you trade your car every other year a Kia or Hyundai is probably fine, but if you aren't a fan of debt and like to keep your cars a while, Kia and Hyundai probably aren't the way to go. If you were to ask the same question about a Camry or Corolla, or even a Civic, you'd be seeing responses in the 200,000 to 300,000 mile range. Yes, in the current Brandon silliness Toyota vehicles are overpriced, but then again, everything is. If you plan to keep a vehicle a while, to me the Kia/Hyundai feels like a very bad investment.
😂 okay.

i will say that i just started servicing 2 Hyundai dealerships here in the Houston area, and when i walked through their service departments last week, i was kind of blown away at the number of powertrain replacements technicians were performing. These aren't Nu warranty replacements either. It was literally staggering. Tons of engine crates piled 6’ hight behind the dealerships. If i can remember when I'm there next Tuesday i will take a picture and post to support my claim.
I will say being the owner of an 18 Kia Rio that i drive daily as my route rig, it makes me a tad nervous. Has been 100% reliable since i purchased it with 30k miles, until recently. I just turned 70k and my BCM started acting up (door chimes and turn signal audible “click” has quit working), and my AC seems to be crapping out. I really need her to keep it together for at least 2 more years :-/

Last edited:
Bitog seems to be the only place in the world where the average participant expects all vehicles to go 500K or they are junk. Wasn't there a thread on here that less than 1% of vehicles make 200k miles?

They're cheap cars that have a 10year 100k mile powertrain warranty and IMO are basically throwaways at 100k miles. If they're still in good shape and running well at 100k awesome - it's a bonus. It'd take me 10 years to go 100k miles and I don't expect much value in a $23K vehicle 10 years out.

If I could get one with a TWO HUNDRED thousand mile transferable extended power train warranty, sure-because they’re essentially worthless when the warranty is up!

Going through all these posts...I beginning to think that all the issues people are having with Kia/Hyundai engines are with the 4 cylinders. There doesn't seem to be that many complaints about their V6s (or their V8s even though they haven't made that many).
Hyundai has issues with the 3.3V6 GDI too. They are also known for failing rod bearings commonly around 100,000 miles.

The fact that people still put Honda on the same level as Toyota is truly astonishing.
Well everyone knew this comment was going to draw some attention, so I'll throw mine in. All of the newer technologies have made the newest cars less reliable than those from 10+ years ago, just my opinion. My latest Toyota (corolla) has been the least reliable Toyota that I've owned. I had a 1996 Honda Accord that literally needed nothing but normal maintenance in 200,000+ miles of driving. Maybe I'll need to change my user name from corollaman to something else.

I had a Sephia manual, a Spectra5 manual and a Forte5 manual+a Soul auto and not a one grenaded. Just sayin'

Back