kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?

A lot of this isn't because they are inherently bad cars, but because parts/service support is lacking. They were a good value when new, but there was no intention of them being in service 15+ years later, even if they were capable of it with a good supply of replacement parts.

Getting parts for an older Hyundai or Kia is often difficult. Some stuff we still stock like Sorento u-joints (at $105 or so each) and coolant reservoirs, but on the early "luxury" cars, forget it. Aftermarket support for Hyundai/Kia is even worse than OE, which compounds the problem.

What's really going to bite Hyundai/Kia is their inability to supply collision parts for very new cars. It really upsets people when they buy a new car, it gets wrecked in a few months, and the parts to repair it are on backorder with no ETA. Yet, there are new cars on the dealer lot. You can't explain it to customers, and if Hyundai/Kia keeps it up, they are going to hurt the reputation they are trying to build. Having a nearly new car out of service for months due to a lack of parts is not good for building customer loyalty and trust in the brand.
Hmm, I've had 3 collisions, 2 with very serious damage and never had an issue with shops getting the parts.

I had a Sephia manual, a Spectra5 manual and a Forte5 manual+a Soul auto and not a one grenaded. Just sayin'
Outside of the theta II engines every one I've seen fail personally was due to neglect. A Japanese engine will keep running if you skip oil changes or run it low on oil (though it will probably start burning some), a Korean engine will lock up or throw a rod if you do that enough, that's where the major difference in reliability is.

Outside of the theta II engines every one I've seen fail personally was due to neglect. A Japanese engine will keep running if you skip oil changes or run it low on oil (though it will probably start burning some), a Korean engine will lock up or throw a rod if you do that enough, that's where the major difference in reliability is.
indeed,also kias are known to throw rods, even been recalls

That's exactly the problem.

Honda today, or even the last 5-10 years, isn't the Honda of yesteryear. Also, I'm fairly certain I've been around Hondas more than you have, despite however many you've owned.
I have 2 issues with Honda... many of their rides have a bit too much of a feminine look (for my taste anyway) and they still can't get the paint/clearcoat right after what seems like decades!

Hmm, I've had 3 collisions, 2 with very serious damage and never had an issue with shops getting the parts.
Some models aren't as bad as others, but yes it is a very real issue. I've been dealing with it day in and day out for over two years. Our backorder report, which has hundreds of parts on it, mostly says "no ETA available ". They certainly aren't the only ones having issues, but they are among the worst for resolving it, and their consumer affairs number is useless. They literally call the dealership to ask the dealer for the ETA because they "can't log in to the website," I'm guessing it's just a contracted call center. We just tell them it says "no ETA available". 2023s are already getting wrecked left and right, so I hope they get it sorted out. I want to bill parts out, not check backorders all day.

Last edited:
4DDC85D6-428E-4F7B-9280-EEAC61823AEE.jpeg
Original engine+trans at 430k miles 2015 azera ,mostly highway.
Anything is possible with good care and maintenance 👍

I have to say I love my 2020 Elantra with the simple 2.0L engine (no direct injection, no turbo) and the CVT. This drivetrain feels great, delivers fantastic MPG and it is really smooth and non-CVT-like.
I think it's one of the best 4-cylinder/transmission combinations I've driven as far as NVH, responsiveness, and gitty up. They made this combo feel "torquey" without drowning you in droning.

Now it may still grenade at some point but it is an impressive combination at 3,000 miles.... :)

I’d never take a risk based on everything I have heard on the newer models, but man we had a 2009 Elantra in the family until last year and that thing did 260,000 miles with no major issues.

For a long time I wondered what that unique smell is that all Hyundai and KIA vehicles have, especially when new. Then later on, that smell gets worse, and worse.

Well, it's the smell of broken promises, unreal depreciation, neglect, and desperation.

Not really :confused:
The 2.4/2.0 Theta II engine deserves all  of it's shoddy reputation, no good engine has a class action or two over it's durability 😳
The older 1.8/2.0 MPI engines were better, but can still be harmed by neglect
And the latest 2.0 Smartstream in the Elantra has issues of its own, I've got two neighbors with 2020 Elantras
One has only 8000 miles on it, and an open recall for piston ring inspection the owner hasn't had done yet
The other one has 35,000 miles on it, he just told me he had it towed into Hyundai with a rough idle/misfires, and "codes for timing chains", I doubt he got is piston ring recall done either

kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?​

Probably really serious to the Kia/Hyunda owner stuck on the side of the road or reselling.

Probably overinflated to me........but I'll stick to my Honda's and Toyota's.

I've been checking out Hyundai/Kia. I saw a Venue on the road and got obsessed.

SavageGeese did a full overview of the Forte and claimed it was simply engineered, nothing fancy, straightforward.

SIL bought a 2017 Forte manual, two or so years back with 30,000 miles. Apparently the head cracked recently, it lost two pistons. Repaired. Now it's steaming up inside overnight.

I liked that car. Neatly put together, comfortable, one for my list if I ever buy again. I haven't heard back yet the cause of this condensation problem. I suspect heater core, but then...

She works from home and doesn't put the miles on it.

Distressing to hear.

Cars I buy I keep. They're chosen for their simplicity, ease of maintenance , commonality of parts, ease of service and availability of shops that will work on them.

Not sure I could commit for the long term.

when i bought my 2003 sorento with 140k -i was worried about the mitshibshi 3.5 v6 in it. now i am glad it has this engine and not an actual kia/ hyundi desighn. 161k and runs great still but the damm leaking valve cover gaskets only issue. new starter is only engine repair needed since i got it. it gets 3k dino oci.

kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?​

Probably really serious to the Kia/Hyunda owner stuck on the side of the road or reselling.

Probably overinflated to me........but I'll stick to my Honda's and Toyota's.
How many have you personally seen stuck?

Kia / Hyundai 1.6L Gamma engines are good for 100K, then will drink every drop of oil you put in. No maintenance schedule will prevent this. Engine design flaws. Our 2014 Kia Rio is over 130K, and runs fine, but needs a new CAT (because of all the oil usage) and drinks oil like crazy.

Our 2012 Santa Fe 2.4L had 160K or so when it got totaled. Car was great. Oil was always at the full mark throughout the whole OCI. Only issues I had were the crankshaft position sensor failed at 65K (known issue with that model for some reason,) ABS sensor failed and the MCV motor needed to be replaced as the plastic (mind boggling engineering decision) shaft broke.

2019 Hyundai Tucson, 35K on the 2.0L Nu engine. Only had it a couple months. Seems good so far. Changed oil with Mobil 1 5W-30 and an OEM filter. Replaced the PCV valve. Oil stays where it's supposed to in the 2,000 miles we have put on it.

Those are our experiences so far in 3 Hyundai / KIA vehicles.
2010 Sonata 2.4 auto. Mobile 1 Purolator upgrade 5 - 6 k. 358,000 runs fine, I run it easy, 65% highway in nj. Bought new.

Back