kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?

Um you have never done a vw diesel timing belt if you think the honda is difficult. You don't need special tools for the Honda.
I can do an Odyssey timing belt in like 7 hours, including water pump and pulley replacement.
That's still a job that wouldn't have to be done if Honda wasn't too cheap to equip the 3.5 with chain instead of a belt...

That's still a job that wouldn't have to be done if Honda wasn't too cheap to equip the 3.5 with chain instead of a belt...
Still a long chain with attendant wear points.

Maybe Honda has been waiting it out for it to be perfected by others—or doesn’t have long term plans on V motors, as I4 power output is creeping upwards. Seems odd that they have still been holding onto the belt in this segment.

Actually I think the 2.4 was a decent engine before 2011. I think that year also correlates to it going GDI but IDK if that's why they went downhill or if it was the casting issue (leaving swarf in the blocks at the factory IIRC.)

Our 2008 Elantra was a very solid car but I'd avoid H/K until they straighten out their issues.
I think it's a major manufacturing oversight with the engine itself. If it was junk left in the engine it would have been solved a long time ago. If it was gdi there would be far more stories from other manufacturers, including h/k newer engines.

There's just something with how they designed/built these engines that is clearly subpar.

**** quality low tension piston rings is a major factor.
I'm not so sure it's an issue with the rings. From what I understand the main problem is a lack of oil going to the big end rod bearings. Fuel dilution might play a role in the speed of the failure, but I think it would be a secondary cause.

Back