kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?

I mean, I would think they have their issues straightened out by now I’m looking at a 2023 telluride, it’s a good engine, right?!

While under warranty, its all good.
If you keep the vehicle past the warranty, then I wouldn't want any product from HyundaiKia.

Aftermarket warranty might allow you to keep a vehicle longer. I don't bother with them. If I did, then I bought the wrong vehicle.

I have noticed a trend, almost everyone here bragging of "no issues" has 30, 50, 70,000 miles. It seems that if you trade your car every other year a Kia or Hyundai is probably fine, but if you aren't a fan of debt and like to keep your cars a while, Kia and Hyundai probably aren't the way to go. If you were to ask the same question about a Camry or Corolla, or even a Civic, you'd be seeing responses in the 200,000 to 300,000 mile range. Yes, in the current Brandon silliness Toyota vehicles are overpriced, but then again, everything is. If you plan to keep a vehicle a while, to me the Kia/Hyundai feels like a very bad investment.
You seem to be focused on time when it's mileage that will be the limiting factor for most people. It has a 10 year 100k miles powertrain warranty and for most people they will exceed the 100k miles before they exceed 10 years. Kia/Hyundai are still an worthy value proposition IMO for their cheaper vehicles if you don't drive all that much and it's not your primary car. The Soul was a perfect car to buy for a 17 year who will be going off to college next year just to have his 15 year old brother get his license so he can go off to college and have his 13 year brother get his license. If it can serve the three of them for the next 10 years for $20K then it's a win for me. If it needs warranty work during that time it's not a hardship.

At the current pace which will go way down for a while after each kid leaves and the other is waiting to get their license, 10 years will come before 100k miles. If the vehicle needs a new engine it's not a mission critical vehicle for the family. If it's worth nothing at the end of 10 years for $20K vs $25-30K for a similar Toyota/Honda who cares?

They are a risk if you drive 25K miles per year and it's your only transportation and it would be a huge hardship to be without the vehicle for weeks to months.

Reactions: CKN
I see a few.
I had the Accord in for warranty repairs- they loaned me a Kia 'equivalent'. What a piece of garbage.
1670692094822.jpg

I would be concerned about the entire car, not just the engine. I don't believe the quality is as good as other brands.
Their powertrains leave a lot to be desired. We have owned a lot of KIAs and Hyundais during the past 15 years. In 2020 was out last Hyundai purchase. They can keep them. People who just got them or had them for a few years and didn't have to be towed in to the dealership have nice things to say about them.

However, you never hear from people bragging how their Kyundai made it to 200K or 300K miles without any major issues. The rare breed that nursed their Kyundai to 200K miles are like me: the type of individual who babies their vehicle every step of the way. It's not worth the time and money though.

I don't care what vehicle you purchase- they ALL have their specific issues. I don't know what Honda figured they save per car on paint but my Accord has had 1/3 resprayed on Honda's dime with a colour that doesn't seem to stand out for problems (compared to orchid white). Maybe I should have gone for their 6 cyl but I figured the Honda 2.4L I4 was world class and at 200hp (with a tune) was sufficient for me- unfortunately it only came with a CVT which I'm not a fan of for various reasons- Nissan was having a hell of a time with theirs around 2015, I bought the MT6 which I really don't mind rowing gears.

Their powertrains leave a lot to be desired. We have owned a lot of KIAs and Hyundais during the past 15 years. In 2020 was out last Hyundai purchase. They can keep them. People who just got them or had them for a few years and didn't have to be towed in to the dealership have nice things to say about them.

However, you never hear from people bragging how their Kyundai made it to 200K or 300K miles without any major issues. The rare breed that nursed their Kyundai to 200K miles are like me: the type of individual who babies their vehicle every step of the way. It's not worth the time and money though.
They are out there in the wild, just not on this forum. I believe people who have 300,000, 400,000 mile Hyundais or Kias are NOT on oil websites. they're a different type of person/breed. minus me :LOL:

I have noticed certain makes and models attract certain personalities... Such as Subaru...

IMG_2328.jpeg

I owned 2 00s Hyundai/Kia products and 1 2012. My 07 Rondo has been passed on and last I heard was around 165K, still going. Port injection and 10w30. Not refined, but very reliable.

I sold the 2012 Sonata at 95K, didn't want to get stuck in a bad situation with a spun bearing, I mean, I know Hyundai will replace the engine, but, I don't want to be dead in the left lane with 80mph traffic buzzing by. Then I hit a deer with it and that made the decision easy, sold it to my BIL's used car lot for a very fair deal considering the body work it needed.

I'd like to say never again, but I'd probably buy another under the right set of circumstances. That being that it's a value priced vehicle. I would never pay MORE for a Hyundai or Kia than competing models, like with the Tellurides. I'd buy a used BMW before I'd pay more for a Hyundai/Kia, and that's saying something considering the reliability of used BMWs.

Not really :confused:
The 2.4/2.0 Theta II engine deserves all  of it's shoddy reputation, no good engine has a class action or two over it's durability 😳
The older 1.8/2.0 MPI engines were better, but can still be harmed by neglect
And the latest 2.0 Smartstream in the Elantra has issues of its own, I've got two neighbors with 2020 Elantras
One has only 8000 miles on it, and an open recall for piston ring inspection the owner hasn't had done yet
The other one has 35,000 miles on it, he just told me he had it towed into Hyundai with a rough idle/misfires, and "codes for timing chains", I doubt he got is piston ring recall done either
What engine was in a 2008 Elantra? We had one in our family and it was still running good at 250,000 miles When my son dumped it.

They are out there in the wild, just not on this forum. I believe people who have 300,000, 400,000 mile Hyundais or Kias are NOT on oil websites. they're a different type of person/breed. minus me :LOL:

I have noticed certain makes and models attract certain personalities... Such as Subaru...

View attachment 130168
Is the one in the picture your Sonata?

Back