Keep your head on a swivel

@Pew by the Grace of God you're ok, that's good you're ok. But you're right this serves as a reminder how crazy it's getting out there in the world. It's not the old man yelling at people to get off his lawn. It's literally getting unhinged out there! Definitely keep your head on a swivel!! If it feels weird.. forget the plans you had, drive away!

Reactions: Pew
1) Glad you’re ok. 2) Glad you’re choosing to carry now. 3) Recommend reading this.

Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper.

This is a short book, but an important one because it spells out 7 immutable principles of self-defense , armed or unarmed.
  • Alertness.
  • Decisiveness.
  • Aggressiveness.
  • Speed.
  • Coolness.
  • Ruthlessness.
  • Surprise.
You survived because of two things - luck (the blow to your head didn’t knock you unconscious - sometimes we need luck) and your willingness to act. Guns are not wands that magically make problems and bad people go away. Your mindset, immediate action, and willingness to do violence won the day. The gun will just be a new tool, YOU are the weapon. Have a tool, heck, have many tools, but also sharpen the weapon.

T&EO: Battle Drill: Near Ambush

https://www.slideserve.com/stan/battle-drills-07-3-d3992-07-3-d3993

tasks-steps-performance-measures-n.jpg
He isn’t a solider and this wasn’t a battlefield ambush. It was a civilian attempted armed robbery and assault via a preponderance of numbers and force. He didn’t have gun or… smoke grenades. And what would taking cover do? Back him into a corner and make surrounding him easier? I truly mean no offense - this is horrible.

Here in OH you basically have to assume everyone is carrying at all times...
this area has always had a very high rate of ccw permits, and a couple years back the state legislature pushed through what basically amounts to "constitutional carry"...
Any one over the age of 21, that isn't prohibited from owning a firearm for other reasons, is allowed to concealed carry. No permit needed.
Some do still go for the classes and permit though...

3 dudes just tried to jump me in after I parked at a restaurant for a company party. Not a single soul around in the parking lot either. Hit me in the back of the head with something metallic when I went to go scan the QR code at the booth to pay for parking. I never touched the ground, at worst they only knocked off my glasses before I caught it and stood back up, hands at the ready. For some reason they didn't continue to hit me, 1 guy went back into the car and the other 2 was following me as I was backing up. Then they tried to run me over twice but I ran between two cars and over a guard rail twice before I finally got somewhere public enough to call 911.

My mom hits harder than whoever swung the metal thing, they only left a pimple sized bump on my head. Only pain is me tripping from jumping the guard rails because my dress shoes were too long. Props to whoever can run in dress shoes, it felt like I had clown shoes on when I was running from their car.

Anyways, I've always been a believer in conceal carry but I don't my CCL. Well tomorrow I'm going to buy a pistol and sign up for classes. At least IL only require veterans to do the last 8 hours of the 16 hour class.
This question will probably get me in the doghouse….
Are you Caucasian, or light skinned? If so, in my opinion you are a target.

Or Asian female. Maybe. But stats show, criminal scum will do this regardless of skin tone, as long as they are close and appear vulnerable. Most likely to be same tone as perp, actually.

OP Glad you are OK - you did the right thing, just be 200% aware. These guys sound like amateurs.

Or Asian female. Maybe. But stats show, criminal scum will do this regardless of skin tone, as long as they are close and appear vulnerable. Most likely to be same tone as perp, actually.

OP Glad you are OK - you did the right thing, just be 200% aware. These guys sound like amateurs.
Not around here…. If you are white or have light skin, you are on the hit list. These attacks won’t stop unless people realize they have to separate their activities from areas where these thugs congregate or better yet arm themselves and take matters into their own hands. The problem is though consequences are stricter when someone of privilege (white) reacts in like manner. It’s all about what took place prior to January 1st, 1863.

Thank you for sharing Pew and I, too, share sentiments of gladness this turned out o.k.. Situational awareness and quick response traits spelled out by ATex7239 above are VERY difficult to maintain daily. Hmmmm.....seems like a good learning/class topic to suggest at the workplace.

Way to be resilient and react to contact! (Reminder; Near ambush = assault thru (Speed and violence are key)

Two things:
s-l1600.jpg

I would highly recommend the S&W "J-frame". VERY easy to conceal, even pocket carry. Simple, reliable, easier to shoot well, especially under stress versus a pocket/compact/wonder-9 semi-auto. Probably legal in your slave state also. I would not sweat the lesser capacity; your in a defensive, close quarters combat situation; 99/100 five rounds of "eff off in another direction" .38 Special +p will get it done. (Personally, I'm carrying a 60-14 LadySmith more often than not these days.)

wm_6774154.jpg

Smith-and-Wesson-Model-340-PD-and-40-J-frame-snub-nose-357-Magnumand-41_101352042_64542_363423C421F1543F.JPG

https://www.smith-wesson.com/products/j-frame
The Best J Frame Revolvers Review (2022) | Peak Firearms

Not so sure about the J Frame advice. Many better options out there then the venerable J. Glock 43X and Sig P365 are just 2 of them. J triggers are much more difficult and heavier to shoot accurately than either of the 2 pistols mentioned above. Add to that easier to conceal and a min 10+1 capacity with options for extended magazines. 3 Assailants and 5 rounds does not instill confidence.

Nothing wrong with a J at all in any way but there are better choices.

Not so sure about the J Frame advice. Many better options out there then the venerable J. Glock 43X and Sig P365 are just 2 of them. J triggers are much more difficult and heavier to shoot accurately than either of the 2 pistols mentioned above. Add to that easier to conceal and a min 10+1 capacity with options for extended magazines. 3 Assailants and 5 rounds does not instill confidence.

This. My first carry gun was a snub nose revolver because that is what everybody says to get. I was not a fan. The cylinder was bulky while trying to conceal, I didn’t like the snappy recoil, short grip and long trigger, among other things. But most of all, I had the one thing everybody says does not happen to revolvers happen - the cylinder locked up and it failed on me. Completely jammed. I got a Glock 26 and never looked back to the revolver as a carry weapon.

Thank you for sharing Pew and I, too, share sentiments of gladness this turned out o.k.. Situational awareness and quick response traits spelled out by ATex7239 above are VERY difficult to maintain daily. Hmmmm.....seems like a good learning/class topic to suggest at the workplace.
Not really. You should read the book. It is not one of those “you gotta always be watching your six and be on high alert” books. It is very realistic. Basically, the story illustrates exactly what is in the book. You gotta be ready to make decisions and hit the go button mentally when the times comes. That is why decisiveness is number two. You can be caught on the back foot but once hit, you’ve gottta be ready to get in the fight. Pew was all this. He made fast decisions, stood his ground and then got himself out of the situation - he made it home alive.

Biscuit, you are spot, but would like to add one supplement to your post. Although this can't be planned as part of tactical defense, a badly injured bad guy in grave pain is a huge combat multiplier for the "good guy(s)", when dealing with multiple bad guys. A dead bad guy is not necessarily a combat multiplier for the good guy side. A gravely injured bad guy screaming out to his bad guy teams usually provides a very powerful advantage to the "good guy" side.

Way to be resilient and react to contact! (Reminder; Near ambush = assault thru (Speed and violence are key)

Two things:
s-l1600.jpg

I would highly recommend the S&W "J-frame". VERY easy to conceal, even pocket carry. Simple, reliable, easier to shoot well, especially under stress versus a pocket/compact/wonder-9 semi-auto. Probably legal in your slave state also. I would not sweat the

lesser capacity; your in a defensive, close quarters combat situation; 99/100 five rounds of "eff off in another direction" .38 Special +p will get it done. (Personally, I'm carrying a 60-14 LadySmith more often than not these days.)

wm_6774154.jpg

Smith-and-Wesson-Model-340-PD-and-40-J-frame-snub-nose-357-Magnumand-41_101352042_64542_363423C421F1543F.JPG

https://www.smith-wesson.com/products/j-frame
The Best J Frame Revolvers Review (2022) | Peak Firearms
I'll definitely check that out. The only barrel gun I've shot was a Taurus judge. I'm looking at the Walther PPK or the Sig365, both fit really well in my small hands.

What did the police do? They review the camera footage? What town?
What town was this in, if you don't mind saying?

It was the Fulton Market area in Chicago. They took my statement but I doubt they'll be able to do much with it. Two of them were wearing masks and were in a silver or white Kia crossover and the only camera was by the front booth. Unfortunately they were out of angle of my dash cam too.

Asian, but the area is on the up-and-up with money starting to come in so they were probably hoping for an easy hit.

That's what I was thinking too. If they did follow up hits after their initial strike then I probably wouldn't be here right now but I think they were stunned it didn't work.

Wow that's not even a bad area. Just goes to show the bad element can show up anywhere.

I've worked on a bunch of new buildings in that area and have been there at night many times. I like to photograph interesting buildings at night and that area has a lot to shoot. But your advice is good; keep your head on a swivel.

Glad you are OK, what a terrible thing to have to go through. I hope you got that lump on the head checked out.

Things are not bad around my sleepy NH town, still pretty much and old rural colonial place with little or no urban creep.

But, there has been some weird stuff happening now and then out at the east-west state highway and access roads with transients passing through - but mainly bizzare car accidents or sad pedestrian or cyclist accidents.

I am starting to see some "freaky acting" out of towners at the local WM.
Took note of that the other day.

Again @Pew glad you survived that disgusting incident and with hopefully only minor injuries - Ken

Wow that's not even a bad area. Just goes to show the bad element can show up anywhere.

I've worked on a bunch of new buildings in that area and have been there at night many times. I like to photograph interesting buildings at night and that area has a lot to shoot. But your advice is good; keep your head on a swivel.

There was a similar hit in the area on Monday too, with 5 guys: https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/2-people-robbed-struck-in-head-chicagos-west-side/

I'm happy with the police reaction time too, they were there in like 2 minutes. But as the saying goes "when it is a matter of seconds, the police are only minutes away."

You guys should consider DPS X- stream pepper spray. It has an 18 ft range and contains both extremely strong pepper and tear gas. It's legal to carry on all 50 states. I carry the 2 oz version but they make it in a two three and four oz version and each can come with a belt clip version if you want it which most of the versions have. Be sure to use three or four small rubber bands like the kind women use for their hair towards the bottom of the belt clip where there's a indentation. Putting the rubber bands so that the indentation is pulled tighter against the can prevent it from accidentally coming off of your belt easily. But when you want to deploy it it doesn't slow down you pulling it from your belt at all. Even if you carry a pistol your situations where you're better off using a very potent pepper spray. Look on YouTube for DPS pepper spray. Buy it directly from defense Protection Systems. When they can expires in date then get another one and use the old one to practice with some place like out in the woods.

Pepper sprays come in stream, fog, and a few other dispersion patterns. The stream is probably the best because it doesn't get bystanders easily and it doesn't flow back on you easily if it's windy. But you do have to make sure you aim it better and it might require you to make a quick correction when you initially starts spraying it. But the stream also ensures that you'll have great range.

Back