Just how much phone....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to pick up a new smart phone, as my current one is starting to struggle after closing in on four years old. I currently roll with a HTC Desire 626, which has been a great (and simple) phone.

With my current job, I use my phone quite a bit. Since my last promotion, I really used it for different things! (Pictures, apps etc) I am just not sure what phone to get. Running with AT&T, my choices are pretty much iPhone or some S or J series Samsung phone. I am looking to keep the phone simple, not expensive-but one that multitasks well. A phone that I can check my work email, take good pictures and video, and can handle getting beat up once in a while is what I am looking for. I am kinda leaning more toward a Samsung S10e or A6 over an Iphone at the moment, but I am opened minded.

For a good phone for work, what do you guys use, and have any good suggestions?

I've been out of the phone game, and need some insight. Thank you!'

After using Android phones since the original Motorola Droid came out (10 years?) I bought my first Iphone this last Black Friday. I'm not sure I can go back to another Android. I'm very tech-savvy so it's not the ease of use per se, it's how polished and fast the operating system is overall. Functions just blend together really well and everything is intuitive.

The newer Android systems seemed to be a mishmash of added "new features" but with poor implementation, and I could never get more than a year out of a flagship Android device without complaining about speed.

YMMV, but check both out and compare. On the Iphone side of things, I think a 7/8 would more than suffice for what you are expecting of a phone. Pretty sure Apple is still selling them at a discount price. Nice thing about Apple is you get system updates for many years, whereas Android products I've owned were updated for 2-3 years at best.

Disclaimer- I worked for a telecom carrier and telecom hw R&D for 15+ years: My opinion, based on internal reliability data, is that the iPhone hardware and OS is a bit more reliable in the long run. The Samsung's phone are really good, but they seem plagued by the same issue in model after model- the charging / data port can be fragile and prone to corrosion . Beyond that, I say use the OS that you prefer.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
IFor a good phone for work, what do you guys use, and have any good suggestions?

I've gone from Galaxy S4 to iPhone SE to iPhone 8. I mostly switched to iOS because Android had no privacy protection at the time and updates were so rare that my phone was full of serious security holes by the time I replaced it.

The SE was good and easy to carry because it was so small, but getting a bit underpowered for new apps by the time I replaced it. Got the 8 because the carrier had a $99 deal a few months ago, and it's a bit too big for my pocket but runs everything better.

I came from a Galaxy s8 to an iPhone 8. Never switching back. My iPhone is used at least 12 hours a day, streaming music mostly, while at work in a machine shop.

It seems far more durable than my previous 2 androids (Galaxy s7 edge, Galaxy s8) were. The s7 got dropped from about 5ft and shattered the screen, but I take full responsibility for that, I should have had it in a case with a screen protector. The s8 though... dropped from 3ft while in a case, the entire back shattered. My iPhone on the other hand... I drop it all the time, not a scratch so far.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
check out the new nokias. my nokia 6.1 has been 100% and gets regular updates

I'm checking it out right now. Made from a solid block of aluminum. Interesting.
55.gif

I love my new Galaxy s10e. I got it right when it was released and it's absolutely fantastic, except that battery life could be better, though I'm coming from a Galaxy S8 Active that had an extra-large battery.

if it's so expensive that a drop in the toilet makes me cry I'm agin it. Like my Moto E4 cause I paid $70 for it and its battery lasts days. I have money and cheap phones, my kids are broke and have expensive phones, go figure.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
check out the new nokias. my nokia 6.1 has been 100% and gets regular updates

Picked up a 7.1 a few months ago. Just make sure you get a case for it, its slipperier than a bar of soap without one.

Been solid so far, Android One so it gets regular updates, takes good pics, basically does everything I need it to.

I've also been a big fan of the MotoG series phones and after the Nokia will give them a good look again.

Always ticks me when people go: ohhh, android is slow, unreliable bla-bla-bla...all of my samsung phones...bla-bla-bla. People don't seem to realize that there are other manufacturers out there than Samsung and Apple and that actually Samsung is pretty crappy when it comes to bloatware and how smooth android runs.

When it comes to smartphones these days you can buy one for the price of a good lunch or a 2nd hand vehicle, it's all about how much you are willing to pay.

Personally I gave it a try a couple of years ago to the OnePlus brand, because I really liked the colab with Cyanogen they had going. Bought the OP One and it was smoother and faster than anything on the market at the time for half the price, of course I got the stinky eye from the brand snobs but eff them. Got more phones from them for me and my family members and all of them are still going strong after 3 years.

OnePlus 7 is just around the corner (launch date 16th of this month) and it comes with some pretty high specs for the money, you might wanna give it a try since there are also a couple of carriers in the US that offers it now (T-mobil for sure)

Originally Posted by Andy636
Always ticks me when people go: ohhh, android is slow, unreliable bla-bla-bla...all of my samsung phones...bla-bla-bla. People don't seem to realize that there are other manufacturers out there than Samsung and Apple and that actually Samsung is pretty crappy when it comes to bloatware and how smooth android runs.

This I can agree on. I loved my HTC One, except the speakers kept blowing out. But otherwise it was perfect.

I swung over to iPhone after having years of Androids and like the rest of the family I do like them better. My rule of thumb is to avoid the newest edition as there's just no darned way I'm payin a grand for something like a phone . Sams club deals come along regularly.
The big issue is size / weight. If you're over 45 you better get a Plus or you're fooling yourself as to being able to use the Internet features realistically( like surviving your wife digging through the cloths racks at TJ Max ...ž).

I love my LG android I bought 4 years? ago. Works great. Previous phone was a Motorola and it was a great phone, but, alas, they priced themselves out of my reach. Ed

The kids at work ( who make some of the highest tech in the U.S.) say Moto G.

Me, I dislike android o/s and Apple so I have an outdated Microsoft Nokia that was free with a 35/ mo pay as you go unlimited data plan

Last November, I picked up - $173 for an "A+" condition iPhone 6S from a very highly rated seller on ebay

I am completely happy with it.

It's very sophisticated compared to other iPhones I have had in the past.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Get one with a large screen if you will use it for work email.

Ditto. Just easier to work with.

I have an older Moto G4 and I can't complain, it has decent life and runs whatever Android it came with and gets whatever updates. I've thought about switching to iPhone but until my Moto gives up or I find a screamin' deal, it doesn't make sense. I just wish they'd standardize on a SIM size, my Moto is micro but the iPhone 6S that I'd like to get is nano. Oops.

I've thought of, once making the switch, to get both an SE and a 6S. SE for weekends and 6S during the workday where I'm more apt to answer emails. Just swap SIM card as I see fit. Buy used and it's not that expensive, and I always have a backup phone "just in case".

Originally Posted by Andy636
OnePlus 7 is just around the corner (launch date 16th of this month) and it comes with some pretty high specs for the money, you might wanna give it a try since there are also a couple of carriers in the US that offers it now (T-mobil for sure)

Still not working on Verizon though. I was with someone who had T mobile in the suburbs. Had no service, my Verizon phone had service. Plus there's usually some sale on Samsung around black Friday. I got my S8 for $370 then. Usually either half off or they knock off $300-$350. Makes it cheaper than a Oneplus. No complaints about my S8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back