Decent/good smartphone?

One thing that Android allows is more access into the internals when it comes to WIFI interrogation. I use WIFIMAN to analyze the WIFI in some buildings and the amount of information WIFIMAN can pull is significantly more from an Android phone that an iPhone. The iPhone has some things locked down and WIFIMAN can not access all the data it needs.
This is true, Apple has this stuff locked down, which depending on how you look at it is a good thing for security. Its doesnt allow apps into its "system" when it comes to wifi data.
Being in the security industry I used a different app (struggling to remember the name) on a Samsung (Android) Tablet for this purpose.
I did A LOT trouble shooting connected wi-fi equipment and positioning routers. Retired now I still use it in my house, though since moving to a new one I advent needed too but think I will take it out for fun. I think it was simply called WiFi Analyzer

Samsung's only get about 3 years of OS updates, your S10 is outdated and stuck on Android 12 while currently we are on Android 13 with Android 14 about to release.

I do not recommend buying older Samsung phones.
"Samsung previously pledged to offer four years' worth of security updates for its hardware and three years of software upgrades back in 2021. However, this commitment to a full four years of major operating system updates, plus five years of security updates, has helped spur similar movements from other brands"

Ahh, the evil phones. Most people use them as cameras. Then they appear to be some kind of trance device in combination with a Ouija board - as I see people staring deep into them zombie like and sliding thumbs across the surface; no matter what else they are doing; driving on the highway, walking across traffic, or out on a dinner date.

I have a free phone from Cricket Wireless - a base Samsung. Battery lasts 2 days, I don't game so ... the camera is fair at best. Does everything else perfectly adequately.

I come from Bell Labs. We built the fiber network - most of the equipment right in my shop in Massachusetts. We were even planning fiber for the "last mile". Nobody came, nobody used it.

Then Jobs dropped the hydrogen bomb in the late 2000's.

By then it was too late, Lucent Technologies ran itself out of business.

My OA Repair Lean Cell ca. 2002:

victor assembling OA.JPG

Gail Fiber Routing OA.JPG

lea207_SC_faceplate.JPG

We usually get new open box iphones from bestbuy, in the $200-400 range, but there seems to be a shortage of them at the moment. If you like your ipad, and want the easiest new phone setup, I would look into those.

Ahh, the evil phones. Most people use them as cameras. Then they appear to be some kind of trance device in combination with a Ouija board - as I see people staring deep into them zombie like and sliding thumbs across the surface; no matter what else they are doing; driving on the highway, walking across traffic, or out on a dinner date.

I have a free phone from Cricket Wireless - a base Samsung. Battery lasts 2 days, I don't game so ... the camera is fair at best. Does everything else perfectly adequately.

I come from Bell Labs. We built the fiber network - most of the equipment right in my shop in Massachusetts. We were even planning fiber for the "last mile". Nobody came, nobody used it.

Then Jobs dropped the hydrogen bomb in the late 2000's.

By then it was too late, Lucent Technologies ran itself out of business.

My OA Repair Lean Cell ca. 2002:

View attachment 178420

View attachment 178421
View attachment 178422
Very cool.. thanks for sharing 👍😉

Consider a new iPhone(a few models back) that you can afford as they support it forever it seems in terms of security updates/bugs. Android unfortunately typically views lifespan in 3 years of OS release.

They seem to last . My parents just got rid of their iPhone 7 and my in-laws use iPhone 6s and 8 .

I had a Motorola G Power about 2 years ago. Not a bad or great phone, it did the job. I did like the shake the phone to turn on and off the flashlight option, that was super handy.

The Pixel is great for the pure Android experience. If I were to go back to Android when my current phone dies I wouldn't be sad if I had a Pixel,

I am currently running an iPhone 13 Pro Max although it's overkill for what I need I do love the integration and support that Apple gives you. Had a problem with the Find My app yesterday, I walked into an Apple store and they showed me how to do it in about 3 minutes no charge. Service like that is unheard of these days.

Wife has a cheap Samsung A13 for work. Great for what it is but seems bloated with all sorts of Samsung Apps. We were able to delete most of them.

One thing I never do is buy a phone from a Cell phone carrier. They are usually extra bloated and locked. I prefer to buy unlocked phones off of Amazon, Walmart or direct from Apple then go with any budget carrier I want. In the end they all do the same thing with varying degrees of capabilities and style.

Back