Decent/good smartphone?

I would stick with a Stylus 5g. Ridiculously cheap for the performance.

Then again I use a Google Pixel 3a XL and it has been an absolute workhorse. I plan on replacing the battery once it's on its last legs.

Samsung's only get about 3 years of OS updates, your S10 is outdated and stuck on Android 12 while currently we are on Android 13 with Android 14 about to release.

I do not recommend buying older Samsung phones.

My S22 has 4 years of promised updates.

Not that it matters, in the land of cheap android phones and plans you can basically get a free phone with your plan every 1 or 2 years.

I know several family members running old samsung phones and one is still using an old LG g6. No security issues, phones work as flawlessly as they did the day they were purchased.

I'm a fan of samsung. They make budget and high end phones. I've been using the galaxy lineup for years, my current s22 has 120hz screen refresh and I cannot go back to plain 60hz. Performance is excellent, battery life is quite good. Price reflects all this. But they make cheaper samsungs which are also good.

The only motorola I have experience with is a moto g power, and to put it bluntly; performance is sub optimal. Screen refreshs are slow, apps open slow and pages scroll jerky.

I'd never use an iphone, apple's walled garden (vendor lock in) is a major turn off.

Just depends on what you're looking for, many people would be happy with the g power.
The S22 is a flagship phone designed to be the best of the best. Much like a Hellcat.

The Moto G Power is all about battery life. Much like a 70's oil crisis Civic.

But yeah, people own both and are happy with their choices as long as it meets their goals/needs.

Well no offense to you but this just shows you don't take stability, security and app support seriously. And nowhere did OP says he was considering buying a $70 phone he said a budget phone, there is plenty of good up to date budget phones out there.

Keep in mind Android is the most targeted OS and is known to have more vulnerabilities compared to iOS I could go down a huge list in regards to this, if someone is really that bad off financially which many of us are they would be better to buy a $99 Iphone 11 from Cricket which will likely receive updates for multiple more years and is set to receive iOS 17 then buy an outdated Android.
C’com man … once it’s on a Chinese owned company phone it’s double secure 🤷

on the serious side - the company is very strict on security and will only issue Apple iPhones …

My own - scaled down to the SE to go back to thumbprint …

Last edited:
C’com man … once it’s on a Chinese owned company phone it’s double secure 🤷

on the serious side - the company is very strict on security and will only issue Apple iPhones …

My own - scaled down to the SE to go back to thumbprint …
Yeah, not many know Motorola mobility is owned by a Chinese company called Lenovo.
I’m not saying good or bad as our home has run on an incredibly reliable Motorola owned by Lenovo router for years now. Bothers me a little but works so well and I don’t think anything can beat it.

For the OP I suspect he is just wanting a new basic phone at an almost or free price. Just for a change to something different. I kind of get that,

For me personally I wouldn’t want to give up the iPhone integration with my other Apple devices and in my case I’m too involved with Apple owning an iPhone, desktop, laptop and watch.

I entered the Apple sphere for a reason and wouldn’t find satisfaction in the Android or Windows world again. But I do get the idea of wanting to try something different. I’ve always loved electronics.

I recently got a Google pixel 6A. So far so good, much better than the Motorola I had before it. Don't know how much you interface your phone with your car, but the Motorola did not like Ford Sync.

I just upgraded a old Samsung J3V to a Samsung A54. The A54 is similar to the S22. I would recommend the Samsung A45 or Google Pixel 7.

Yeah, not many know Motorola mobility is owned by a Chinese company called Lenovo.
I’m not saying good or bad as our home has run on an incredibly reliable Motorola owned by Lenovo router for years now. Bothers me a little but works so well and I don’t think anything can beat it.

For the OP I suspect he is just wanting a new basic phone at an almost or free price. Just for a change to something different. I kind of get that,

For me personally I wouldn’t want to give up the iPhone integration with my other Apple devices and in my case I’m too involved with Apple owning an iPhone, desktop, laptop and watch.

I entered the Apple sphere for a reason and wouldn’t find satisfaction in the Android or Windows world again. But I do get the idea of wanting to try something different. I’ve always loved electronics.
I think my family has cooled on Apple Watches (many) - the constant need for charging is painful (mine on charger now) …

You have to be more specific. You can spend 100 or 1000. "Budget" could mean $75 or $500?

My wife still uses an Iphone7. Its on the latest software rev and the battery still lasts OK. So they can last a long time.

I have the Iphone 13 - company issued. Only reason I went up is my 6S quit - actually pretty sure it was just the sim but the battery was done also.

My daughter has a pixel - I think 7?? She likes it but she is a software guru and wouldn't be caught dead with a iphone. Other daughter has iphone 13 and loves the camera.

I actually will be getting an Android tablet so I can run Torque Pro, and I like being able to add the micro SD. As for daily use, IOS is probably better still though, even though I am not a fan of Apple, their controlling everything does make things easier sometimes.

Whats wrong with your old phone?

Yep. "Budget" is in the wallet of the beholder.

I've been using a Moto G Power for the past 2+ years - incredible battery life and reception at an affordable price, also custom ROM friendly. However, the massive size of it, and so many new phones is a PITA.

Recently I switched to a used Pixel 5. It's considerably smaller and can be (and now is) loadedwith GrapheneOS for security & privacy.

What Iphone do you have?

I personally am an Android person, however when it comes to long term software updates Apple does an amazing job at that. If you are really set on switching to Android for a entry level phone I would say the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G, for an excellent mid-range phone go for the Samsung Galaxy A54 5G.

The A54 5G is a beast of a phone for the price and also gives you that more premium feel since it is a Galaxy S23 based design.

But I highly recommend you look into the Google Pixel 7a it is an amazing phone for the money.
The Pixel 7a is a great choice... it's an easier transition from an iPhone than a Samsung (there's a reason they call it the iPhone of the Android world), it has one of the best cameras in any class, it has some of the longest support out there for an Android, and the price for what you're getting is amazingly low... especially if you find a sale, which are usually happening either on Google's site or one of the retailers.

Lenovo (Motorola) is the only Chinese brand I'd still hesitatingly trust. I probably won't be buying any more, but they make solid hardware for a budget price. The budget models aren't the fastest, cameras are average, it's an average to below average experience depending on what you buy. And the software support is lacking.

But they get the job done, and usually do it for a long time... not bad for a cheap phone that still behaves like a real smartphone. Plus if you shop sales you can pick them up stupid cheap.

i had the first moto g, it was amazing for its time. back then phones in that price range were terrible. now i have a 14+, had a xr for five years before that. iphones while expensive are really good about support for a long time. that is one plus of the walled garden.

LG Velvet 5g on eBay is in the $250 range new. There are unlocked, T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T variants. They will update to Android 12 and possibly 13. Excellent phone.

i have been rocking this phone for almost a year. other than a bad charge port, which they repaired in a week., its been solid. the one neg is the camera is kinda slow, but i don't take too many pix so don't matter to me

can't go wrong with an iPhone. it may be a few generations behind decent Android phones from Korean or Chinese brands but you know that it's a steady brand.

Like someone else mentioned, if the OP has been using iPhones, unless he purposely wants to move to an Android, I'd suggest sticking with what you're comfortable with. They're both good devices that get the job done just fine 😉

PS- I decided to address the original post directly (it's below), so forgive me for this slightly redundant one 😉

Last edited:
Hello folks. Pondering going to either a Motorola smartphone or keeping my IPhone. Few coworkers have Motorolas on Crickett phone service.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on a good, budget smartphone and recommendation? I don’t use mine much at work to be honest. Use my IPad when home also.
It can be hard to get a good, budget smartphone.. you either get "good" or "budget", but rarely both. Motorola's budget phones will disappoint you coming from an iPhone.

If you really want to try Android the best budget phone out there imo is the Pixel 7a...it can be picked up cheap on sale almost any time, it runs stock Android and is the easiest to learn on (it's referred to as the iPhone of the Android world), plus it has a class leading camera and all the cool Pixel stuff like automatic call screening with the Google Assistant, and automatic spam call filtering with the Assistant, and you don't have to lift a finger.. it does it all for you.

That same feature on my higher end Pixel cut my spam calls down to zero, and I was getting a lot 😧

But honestly, if you're used to an iPhone I'd stick with that... they're both good devices that do the same thing, which is do what a modern smartphone should do. No need to change unless you're looking for something different.

I've never understood the whole us vs them when it comes to smartphones though, or anything else for that matter, which threads like this often turn into ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

They're just tools like anything else... designed to get a job done. I'm not as concerned about the tool as long as it gets the job done satisfactorily for me. I've got more important things to focus on than taking sides over a tool 😉

But then people seem to need something to fight about.. regardless of what it is.

I think they call it the human condition 😆

One thing that Android allows is more access into the internals when it comes to WIFI interrogation. I use WIFIMAN to analyze the WIFI in some buildings and the amount of information WIFIMAN can pull is significantly more from an Android phone that an iPhone. The iPhone has some things locked down and WIFIMAN can not access all the data it needs.

Back