Just bought a BMW, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

I've been using 15W-40 Delo in my '92 325i, but as an experiment, I think I'll try 10W-40 Syntec next change. I know it is Group III, but that grade carries ACEA A3/B3 and BMW Longlife ratings. I think 0W-30 and 5W-30 are just too thin for the older engines in a warm climate.

10w40 Syntec starts out at 13.2 cst at 100c, and I would be willing to bet it thins out down to a mid 30wt in no time too, based on how easily their 10w30 thins out to a 20wt. So why not use the 0w30 German stuff then? It starts out at 12.2 cst and should stay pretty close to that point.

If you ran each of those oils for 6k, I bet the 10w40 would finish up much thinner than the 0w30.

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:

quote:

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother with their free oil changes, I'd just use my own stuff on my own terms.
Thought of that, but there are warranty issues so I have to let them do it. [/QB]

I can't believe there are warrenty issues if you bring your own oil and let them put it in! I've done this on both of my Jettas that had Free oil changes during the warrenty period.

As long as the oil meets the specs they should be able to pour it in for you. I look at it this way. I'm paying for the oil anyhow, I just get free labor and a free filter out of the deal. As the European OEM filters are really good!!

I'd at least call and ask if you can use your own oil!

Hi,
Sprintman - yes I should be - I used to buy the Castrol RX & Enduro LD that way.
In recent years a client of mine has been purchasing D1 in bulk for a 5000ltr reserve.
I was using that. They have stopped so its time I readjusted my buying practices too

Regards

Yeah vettenuts, that was me with the brown sludge using BMW 5-30 for 10k intervals. I would either suggest that you split the BMW interval in half or use an oil with more cohones...whether that be Syntec 10-40, 5-50, or 20-50, M-1 0-40 or 15-50 etc...

I believe that A3 30 weight oils are a minimum requirement...hence, don't use M-1 5-30 or 10-30...nor Syntec of the same grade. Otherwise, an A3 30 weight will hold up a little better...but, from my experience NOT the whole 10k interval without breakdown and consumption issues....and these are bad (contrary to popular belief). You pick it....fuel economy vs. protection...it's up to you where you draw the line. That's why the GC is a good product (A3)...but I'm not using it.

In my BMW, Syntec 5-50 has held up well from my experience. However, I switched to Castrol TWS 10-60 too early to tell if it would have held up for the full 10k mi.. Otherwise, I've found it to be a better choice than any Mobil products (with maybe the exception of Delvac 1). Mobil product have consumption and poor engine sound characteristics. You pick the flavor. I'm currently on my second interval with the 10-60 and fuel economy, smootheness, power delivery and engine cleanliness are at their highest...oil consumption at it's lowest....

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
I checked the Mobil web site, and I don't see the A3 or BMW requirements in the specifications list. Not sure the dealer will go along with that particular choice.

Just read my bottles of Amsoil ASL that I have for my next change in the Corvette, they state specifically on them A3 and BMW. Wonder if the dealer will accept it's use rather then Mobil or the Castrol.

Yes they will except it, as long as it meets the specs.

A fellow engineer here where I work has a 325i in the parking lot right now that has >350K on the odeometer. He bought it with about 35K on it and has run only Super Tech 10W-30 since he bought it. He pays no attention to the number of miles between oil changes, he just changes it every six months. He commutes about 50 miles each way to work so they are fairly easy miles, but it is still impressive. The car burns no oil, runs great, and just passed an emissions inspection (after replacement of an EGR valve).

[ September 25, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: garyb80 ]

Isn't Mobil-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 the same as Delvac-1? The mobil 1 turbo diesel oil is available at pretty much any auto zone that've been too around here.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I bet he figured out what to do by now.

I should hope so.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
Isn't Mobil-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 the same as Delvac-1?

Nope, not anymore at least.

Originally Posted By: vettenuts
Well, just took the plunge and bought our first BMW. I have spent the last several hours researching here on the oil. So far, here is my findings:

1. Factory fill won't go 15K miles
2. Castrol 0W-30 SLW may be a really good way to go
3. I need to change more often, but not reset computer.

OK, I am looking for recommendations on oil for my changes. I am leaning to the Castrol 0W-30 (SLX-Green stuff
grin.gif
) but don't know where to find it or what the bottle looks like. Thanks for any input.

vettenuts,

If your BMW is still under warranty then don't do it! It'll void the warranty and if you take it to the dealership they won't do the OCI for you until your OLM monitor says so. That's what my friend told me on his BMW out here in So. California. Still if you prefer I'd use the higher quality Castrol synthetic and go from there.

Durango

SO mobil-1 Turbo Diesel and Truck is no longer the equivalent to Delvac-1? When did this change happen? I thought that this was proven to be the same formula as of a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back