Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

As much as people on here love to bash quick lubes, literally millions of vehicles are serviced by them every year, and there isn't some widespread pandemonium of cars being wrecked by them.
Hundreds of stories of stripped drain plugs, overfilled, underfilled, or wrong oil put. Those things might not necessarily “wreck” your car, but its not acceptable to me

Hundreds of stories of stripped drain plugs, overfilled, underfilled, or wrong oil put. Those things might not necessarily “wreck” your car, but its not acceptable to me
Hundreds, huh? I doubt you have personally seen hundreds of stories, but lets go with it.

Let's say you know of 999 stories of something going wrong with a quick lube. Jiffy Lube alone services 20M vehicles per year. That is .005% of all vehicles serviced by Jiffy Lube alone. Not including the millions of others serviced by other chains. Jiffy Lube alone would have to screw up over 200,000 vehicles per year to even have a 1% mistake rate. If a .005% chance of any type of mistake (minor mistakes included) is "unacceptable" to you, I'd hate to ever do any type of work for you. You sound like what we refer to as a nightmare or high maintenance customer. I don't know how you would do business with anyone with standards like that.

Nearby Jiffy Lube:

$109.99 for 5-quarts of full synthetic (PP at most locations)

Each additional quart is $12.

I recognize that most BITOGers change their own oil and chase sales to save a few dollars on the cost of oil.

This pricing at Jiffy Lube illustrates that we are already saving a significant amount of money by DIYing, regardless of which oil we use. In other words, don't lose too much sleep if you missed a Walmart oil clearance. ;)

I posted in another thread recently that a Valvoline Instant Oil Change shop charged me $105 the other day for an oil change on my 21 Bronco Sport work vehicle using 5.3 quarts of Synthetic Maxlife 5w20. I'd still rather go there than Jiffy Lube 🤮

Mistakes can happen anywhere, but if you think probability of a mistake is the same in jiffy lube vs car dealer or reputable family owned shop, please go ahead and take your car to jiffy

Take a look at the Dunning-Kruger Effect and the curve. When are you most likely to make mistakes? When your skills are low but confidence is high (aka overconfidence). This is not the area of the "seasoned pro". Many people in this area on the peak of the curve may think they are a seasoned pro and even tell other people they are a seasoned pro and act like a seasoned pro, but that's just not the case. That also isn't to say a seasoned pro can't be overconfident, but it's just not that common.

The reason it seems like it's correct is because experts make those simple mistakes so rarely, they really stand out in your memory when they do make them. While experts absolutely do make mistakes, they are most certainly not more likely to make mistakes than a novice. It might seem like semantics, but that is a big distinction.
I didn't say they were more likely to make mistakes than a novice. I do agree that mistakes tend to stand out...

I much prefer to do my own maintenance, which includes oil and filter changes. I'm 83 years old and can still do these things. So, there could be a time when I'm no longer able to do this and I might have to use a shop. However, I would always check the oil level before I leave the place.

Mistakes run less than 1%-per someone who actually works at a dealership. This subject is a "kumbuya thread" for those who DIY on here. Why theses threads continue to live is beyond me. We have proven two things OVER AND OVER AGAIN-
1) Yes-it's cheaper to perform this service yourself
2) MOST PEOPLE DO NOT perform this service themselves and most have it perform in a shop of some sort with no ill effects.

3) Those things are irrefutable.

Let this thread burn out.......

Last edited:
Mistakes run less than 1%-per someone who actually works at a dealership

How does “average” probability of a mistake during oil change compare between jiffy lube employees and an OEM dealer?

I tend to think its higher error margin for jiffy lube. Did you compare average salary for jiffy lubes entry level vs OEM dealer entry level techs, who do you think can hire more competent people?

Last edited:
How does “average” probability of a mistake during oil change compare between jiffy lube employees and an OEM dealer?

I tend to think its higher error margin for jiffy lube. Did you compare average salary for jiffy lubes entry level vs OEM dealer entry level techs, who do you think can higher more competent people?
That's the rub-business who (supposedly) screw up (restaurants, dentists, garages,etc.)get plastered on "Local Town" Facebook pages. It's not happening to a major degree, Thats more anecdotal than your theory.

Last edited:
I didn't say they were more likely to make mistakes than a novice. I do agree that mistakes tend to stand out...
I see. I think I misinterpreted your statement. You mean they are more likely to make mistakes on the simple tasks compared to more complicated ones. Given the context of the discussion previously was that inexperienced techs would be the one doing oil changes, that's how I interpreted your statement.

I tend to think its higher error margin for jiffy lube. Did you compare average salary for jiffy lubes entry level vs OEM dealer entry level techs, who do you think can hire more competent people?
I'm still waiting on your facts to back up your claim. You're the one claiming Jiffy Lube or other such places have a higher probability to make mistakes then dealers or indy shops. Based on what? I can go down the risk assessment road with you, but I don't know if you realize how complex it is to make these assessments. You're talking about breaking out all individual variables, finding credible (primary) sources, and then analyzing the data on them to assess a weight to each variable, then collating the data, accounting for error margins in your own analysis, and then presenting that. If you aren't going to do that, you shouldn't be talking trash about business models or lifestyles with absolute statements. You can have an opinion, but you're making absolute statements, contrary to any evidence presented so far.

Reactions: CKN
I'm still waiting on your facts to back up your claim. You're the one claiming Jiffy Lube or other such places have a higher probability to make mistakes then dealers or indy shops. Based on what? I can go down the risk assessment road with you, but I don't know if you realize how complex it is to make these assessments. You're talking about breaking out all individual variables, finding credible (primary) sources, and then analyzing the data on them to assess a weight to each variable, then collating the data, accounting for error margins in your own analysis, and then presenting that. If you aren't going to do that, you shouldn't be talking trash about business models or lifestyles with absolute statements. You can have an opinion, but you're making absolute statements, contrary to any evidence presented so far.
Pretty hard to quantify. But dealerships make mistakes on oil changes.
I service a friend's drop dead gorgeous 2015 Jeep GC with the Turbo Diesel. It was at the dealer for warranty work and they changed the oil. I did the next service; I had to remove the drain plug all the way with a ratchet. I was concerned as I usually only have to break torque with the wrench. The threads had some kinda crap on them. After I cleaned and wire brushed the drain bolt, I was able to spin it back in with fingers only. I did ask Debbie to pick up another drain bolt, just in case.

Wow-that's the best reply I have ever seen to the nonsensical argument he made.

Pretty hard to quantify. But dealerships make mistakes on oil changes.
I service a friend's drop dead gorgeous 2015 Jeep GC with the Turbo Diesel. It was at the dealer for warranty work and they changed the oil. I did the next service; I had to remove the drain plug all the way with a ratchet. I was concerned as I usually only have to break torque with the wrench. The threads had some kinda crap on them. After I cleaned and wire brushed the drain bolt, I was able to spin it back in with fingers only. I did ask Debbie to pick up another drain bolt, just in case.
Compelling evidence .. :geek:

You can have an opinion, but you're making absolute statements, contrary to any evidence presented so far.

Where did I say that I have absolute facts? Everything people say here is based on opinion. Yes, that is my opinion that jiffy lube has higher chance messing up your car than say average Lexus dealer.

Where did I say that I have absolute facts? Everything people say here is based on opinion. Yes, that is my opinion that jiffy lube has higher chance messing up your car than say average Lexus dealer.
But have you looked at the lube tech salaries at a dealer vs Jiffy Lube?

Hint…they are similar, sometimes less.

Back