Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

But have you looked at the lube tech salaries at a dealer vs Jiffy Lube?

Hint…they are similar, sometimes less.
Around here, I figure they're all the same, minimum wage. But minimum wage here is $14.25 now. I did have a tenant that worked at Jiffy Lube once, he made the minimum, but I think it was in the $10 range as it was a while ago. I used to go there ages ago, probably mid 2000's. Back then it was typically in the $20 range and they charged like $2 extra per quart of oil. The car took 5.75 quarts of oil so you'd get hit with the extra $1.50 charge on the oil change. I used to frequent different shops so eventually one shop said the oil drain plug was stripped but they'd replace it for $2. I think it was really something like $28 but they'd always have those coupons in the mailer so you'd get down to about $20 for a regular change. I guess they need to make money now so the prices have all gone up. Oh I guess they still have $10 off coupons

Around here, I figure they're all the same, minimum wage

At my Lexus dealer if you come for an oil change it is done by ASE technician minimum. They do NOT get paid min wage even if they just started. Maybe some other OEM dealers let non ASE do it, not around here

In the end it all comes down to the particular person who is working on your car or in other settings is helping you.

The internet amplifies the negatives.
Its true, but I am of the opinion that business can get more competent people if you offer better salary. Its not always the case, but old saying “you get what you pay for” is true to some extent

Its true, but I am of the opinion that business can get more competent people if you offer better salary. Its not always the case, but old saying “you get what you pay for” is true to some extent

In some cases that might apply but that goes to the manager and how they determine who gets hired. The meth head working for $15/hr up the street will surely take the $25/hr job you offer him but he will still be a meth head.

A lot depends on the system. Valvoline seems to have a good one at their fast change outlets. They even tell you what they are doing as you sit inside the car.

At my Lexus dealer if you come for an oil change it is done by ASE technician minimum. They do NOT get paid min wage even if they just started. Maybe some other OEM dealers let non ASE do it, not around here
I think the Mercedes dealer charges $199 just for an oil change, their normal service A is about $300. I just take my Mobil 1 and filter to the local indy and he does it labor only for $20. I don't think he can charge more than that because he still does a $20 5 quart conventional oil change special, his synthetic is $50. My other indy who used to work at a Ford dealer and has his ASE certification says he used to get paid around $20/hour and it hasn't really gone up much, said he worked at an indy shop a couple years ago and it was only in the $25 range and he didn't get that many hours as the place was only busy a few days a week and the owner would just tell him not to come in when it was slow so he didn't last long there.

Mistakes run less than 1%-per someone who actually works at a dealership. This subject is a "kumbuya thread" for those who DIY on here. Why theses threads continue to live is beyond me. We have proven two things OVER AND OVER AGAIN-
1) Yes-it's cheaper to perform this service yourself
2) MOST PEOPLE DO NOT perform this service themselves and most have it perform in a shop of some sort with no ill effects.

3) Those things are irrefutable.

Let this thread burn out.......
2) MOST PEOPLE DO NOT… We do not care, proven OVER AND OVER AGAIN-

Since CO has pay transparency, let's use Denver as an example:

1) Jiffy Lube:

$14-20/hr

2) Lexus of Lakewood

$15-16/hr

These salaries are not for technicals changing oil.

1) Jiffy Lube:

$14-20/hr

2) Lexus of Lakewood

$15-16/hr

So you compared technician job at

1) Jiffy Lube:

$14-20/hr

2) Lexus of Lakewood

$15-16/hr

Different positions compared. The one you mentioned for lexus is a some kind of “lube” position, not ASE tech. Around here at Lexus dealer you get ASE even for oil change.

Different positions compared. The one you mentioned for lexus is a some kind of “lube” position, not ASE tech. Around here at Lexus dealer you get ASE even for oil change.
Toyota/Lexus dealers use lube techs in their express maintenance program. They may or may not be ASE certified technicians.

The comparison I provided was valid; it was JL tech vs Toyota/Lexus entry-level tech.

Toyota/Lexus dealers use lube techs in their express maintenance program
So now we are looking for dealers offering express lube service? Around here you get ASE for a standard oil change at Lexus dealer, in fact also for one Acura dealer thar I know.
If some lexus dealers use cheap labor thar requires no experience or being ASE, shame on them. I would certainly avoid those dealers.

You could buy 6 quarts of High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus at full price (BITOG discount aside) and a Fram Ultra filter for cheaper.

Yes.. I think we need to talk about High Performance Lubricants more on here and recommend for more applications. They make some of the finest motor oil known to man, really care about the customer base and experience and they are mail-only as far as I know.. great products...

Doing your own oil change is always a great option, if you can. The initial investment may be less than paying for the service.. although, in certain instances, not worrying about disposal of the used oil and having it done for you makes sense.

The issue being is you do't need to be ASE to change oil-the shade trees on this site have proven that.

Yes.. I think we need to talk about High Performance Lubricants more on here and recommend for more applications. They make some of the finest motor oil known to man, really care about the customer base and experience and they are mail-only as far as I know.. great products...

Doing your own oil change is always a great option, if you can. The initial investment may be less than paying for the service.. although, in certain instances, not worrying about disposal of the used oil and having it done for you makes sense.
I would agree the "Jiffy Lube and Dealer" bash threads are tiring and the same thing over and over again. According to some there should be thousand of vehicles littering the highway with stripped drain plugs and oil slicks under neath. YEA-OK.

The issue being is you do't need to be ASE to change oil-the shade trees on this site have proven that.
I have personally proven you don't need to be an ASE to spill a quart of dirty Honda CVT HC-2 on my favorite garage rug.

Regarding Lexus oil changes... The service cost is partially buried in the price of the car. And they love to sell you the scheduled maintenance packages. And they want to give you a loaner so they can sell you another car. What uppity Lexus (or MBZ or whatever) owner wants to be seen driving a 3 year old Lexus?

Anyone who thinks Lexus dealerships are doing you a favor has another guess coming.
Don't ask me how I know...
By the way, Lexus dealerships are better than most.
PXL_20211105_194201681.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree the "Jiffy Lube and Dealer" bash threads are tiring and the same thing over and over again. According to some there should be thousand of vehicles littering the highway with stripped drain plugs and oil slicks under neath. YEA-OK.

I mean, I'm either one of them or used to be one of them. But I also not only have been in situations where you just can't do your own oil change, but can also see the utility of having a place do it.

You will get raked over the coals if you do, I remember grand total quoted something like $120 because those places make their money on an upsell, but, it can be done.

Exactly like when you go to Arby's and order ONLY the 2 for $6 Roast Beef sandwich. To "make them happy" they would PREFER you then add a drink and fries, but. No.... Ask yourself, is it your job to make them happy? (Happy = money. The 2 for $6 is the Loss Leader and they probably make no money off it, even lose money a la Burger King.)

You will pay every tax and fee at the shop.. but it can have utility.

As mentioned before, sometimes, SOMETIMES (and to some people, money is not a concern..) it can work.

Thats true, but one thing is when you doing it yourself and care about your car vs some moron working min wage and only learned a week ago how to change oil. Another issue is when you paying dealer prices, you expect someone with auto mechanical training that can spot other issues by quickly looking under car.

I mean, I'm either one of them or used to be one of them. But I also not only have been in situations where you just can't do your own oil change, but can also see the utility of having a place do it.

You will get raked over the coals if you do, I remember grand total quoted something like $120 because those places make their money on an upsell, but, it can be done.

Exactly like when you go to Arby's and order ONLY the 2 for $6 Roast Beef sandwich. To "make them happy" they would PREFER you then add a drink and fries, but. No.... Ask yourself, is it your job to make them happy? (Happy = money. The 2 for $6 is the Loss Leader and they probably make no money off it, even lose money a la Burger King.)

You will pay every tax and fee at the shop.. but it can have utility.

As mentioned before, sometimes, SOMETIMES (and to some people, money is not a concern..) it can work.
They show me my engine air filter and I say no thank you. I lock my glove box manually with the emergency key and leave the key fob in the vehicle. They cant access the cabin air filter without unlocking the glove box. When I get the bill- under cabin air filter it simply says "N/A". I really don't understand the ability to SAY NO to the upsell. It's not rocket science. If you don't read your owners manual for service intervals on stuff-that's a whole other thread.

Back