Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

We can disagree here-but IMHO many use them because of convenience. Over 75% of the cars in my neighborhood are Suburbans, mini vans, and CUV's-none the cheap kind, and that's what I see pulling in to those places. Mom drops the kids off at school-her husband says to take the Suburban up the street and get the oil changed. A half-hour later (or less) and it's done and on to the next errand. And 99.5% of time it's done so at least the vehicle doesn't blow up. The Valvoline (for one) gives solid choices in regards to their oil.
Depends on the region, demographic and vehicle line. Most of the import owners here use the dealer. Domestic owners primarily use Jiffy Lube for some reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: CKN
We can disagree here-but IMHO many use them because of convenience. Over 75% of the cars in my neighborhood are Suburbans, mini vans, and CUV's-none the cheap kind, and that's what I see pulling in to those places. Mom drops the kids off at school-her husband says to take the Suburban up the street and get the oil changed. A half-hour later (or less) and it's done and on to the next errand. And 99.5% of time it's done so at least the vehicle doesn't blow up. The Valvoline (for one) gives solid choices in regards to their oil.
I don't think we're disagreeing here. Convenience is part of marketing. Think about it this way, you can have the most convenient business around, but if no one knows who you are, you won't have any customers. Jiffy Lube, etc. have all done so much marketing through the decades that practically everyone has their names embedded in their brain. Then they make their shops convenient to reinforce the marketing. Hard to compete with a household name that is also the most convenient place to go.

Reactions: CKN
You should give him at least $60 for that.
It's a big indy shop with like 9+ bays so that's just their $20 special on oil changes.

Yes, but some are easy to remove, others are not.

Also, a lot of euro cars do not have a dipstick and the oil level check procedure can be extremely time consuming.
I think mine aren't that bad, just a bunch of 8mm bolts. Mine is older and it has a dipstick, the guy must have looked it up as he put in 8.5 quarts exactly as the book calls for. He was also lazy about resetting the oil change interval, but it's relatively easy to do and I always have to watch a 1-2 minute youtube video on the right sequence to reset it. They always put a sticker on the car for 6 months and 5k for the next oil change even though it's supposed to be 1 year/10k.

Wow! Prices have gone up everywhere, including ECS Tuning where I get my OEM VW oil / filter. Total cost is around $68 now, was around $50 about a year ago...

Still less expense than Jiffy Lube.
Walk in to a supermarket lately....I'm seeing 25% to 40% price increases.......including the incredible shrinking packages.

Wow! Prices have gone up everywhere, including ECS Tuning where I get my OEM VW oil / filter. Total cost is around $68 now, was around $50 about a year ago...

Still less expense than Jiffy Lube.
Why not get it from FCPEuro? Just pay for it once and it's free for life. You just have to pay for shipping. But if you use Paypal, they will pay up to $30 to ship it back to them. I'm going to do that now with some rotors and pads, got them years ago for about $278 now they're up to $383. Weights about 25 pounds each so we'll see what it costs to ship back.

I pay about $85 in Philly for Pennzoil synthetic at a quick lube place. That comes with a "free" car wash. I use to do it myself in years past when I had somewhere to do it.

I see dismissive comments all the time on here about how people should DIY if they really care about their vehicle. Most people who live in big cities just don't have that as an option.

I pay about $85 in Philly for Pennzoil synthetic at a quick lube place. That comes with a "free" car wash. I use to do it myself in years past when I had somewhere to do it.

I see dismissive comments all the time on here about how people should DIY if they really care about their vehicle. Most people who live in big cities just don't have that as an option.

Understood, but if I was in the same situation I would stay away from chains. Small recommended shop would be a better choice

Understood, but if I was in the same situation I would stay away from chains. Small recommended shop would be a better choice
Due to pure economies of scale, many good small shops charge more than chains and dealerships.

You really think that is less likely to happen at a smaller shop?
Yes, if its a smaller family owned shop thats been around for a long time with good reputation, they are likely to employ better and smaller set of workers with better salary compared to what chain pays.

Yes, if its a smaller family owned shop thats been around for a long time with good reputation, they are likely to employ better and smaller set of workers with better salary compared to what chain pays.
Regardless of where you go, oil changes are most likely going to be done by an entry-level tech, which is likely to be an inexperienced tech starting out.

The place I go to is not a chain but they specialize in oil changes. I was offering a point of comparison on the price. Nobody has tried to upsell me on anything there either. When I pull into the bay it's done in 15 min or so. I go at times I know they aren't busy.

There is a shop that I use for other things such as when I had to get front brake pads and rotors done. An oil change there for Mobil 1 is about the same price (I don't remember the exact #) but I have to make an appointment, and when I get there I have to wait about an hour for it to be done. I also have to find somewhere to park the car until they are ready for it. That's where the convenience of the quick lube place comes into play.

Believe it or not, the seasoned pro is more likely to make a mistake on the simple tasks. I knew a top diagnoser who started a car but forgot to add the oil. He actually did it twice that I know of. And his knowledge and abilities were legend.

Believe it or not, the seasoned pro is more likely to make a mistake on the simple tasks.
Take a look at the Dunning-Kruger Effect and the curve. When are you most likely to make mistakes? When your skills are low but confidence is high (aka overconfidence). This is not the area of the "seasoned pro". Many people in this area on the peak of the curve may think they are a seasoned pro and even tell other people they are a seasoned pro and act like a seasoned pro, but that's just not the case. That also isn't to say a seasoned pro can't be overconfident, but it's just not that common.

The reason it seems like it's correct is because experts make those simple mistakes so rarely, they really stand out in your memory when they do make them. While experts absolutely do make mistakes, they are most certainly not more likely to make mistakes than a novice. It might seem like semantics, but that is a big distinction.

Good luck with quick lubes. I dont have to worry about them as I am DIY.
As much as people on here love to bash quick lubes, literally millions of vehicles are serviced by them every year, and there isn't some widespread pandemonium of cars being wrecked by them.

Back