Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

Safety and ease of use are key reasons I use the MityVac. I swap out the filter every 2nd (or 3rd) time.
I used to be a naysayer, but now I am a believer!

Additionally, learning proper ways to get up really help.
Looking into a MityVac or equivalent at HF, but keeping a filter thru 2/3 oil changes, no thank you, Old Skool, an oil change will get a fresh filter. ;)

I think most of dealers (japan OEM) will change your oil for less than $110 from jiffy lube. I really do not understand why someone would take their car to jiffy lube. Its a very horrible place

I think most of dealers (japan OEM) will change your oil for less than $110 from jiffy lube. I really do not understand why someone would take their car to jiffy lube. Its a very horrible place

It’s owned by Shell so you should ask them.

Convenience. The dealership might be far away.

It’s the same reason people buy over priced drinks/snacks at the gas station and eat out rather than buying in bulk from the grocery store or cooking at home.

The Euro change is so stupid that it costs more, the filter isn't $20 more, the oil is no more expensive than ILSAC oil and they still surcharge above 5qts and almost every euro car takes above 5qts.
Have you removed the belly pan on a late-model VAG product? The extra labor time needed to fuss with the multiple different types of fasteners definitely warrants a higher charge.

Surprised people go to Jiffy Lube, most horrible place to take your car and it looks like overpriced, they charge more than car dealers, its a joke.

Why they even have mineral oil, its almost impossible to find it. i want them to put 0w-20 that is non synthetic. Oh wait, they willl probably put wrong viscosity anyway
It seems like more than 1/2 of the vehicles at my local Jiffy Lube(s) on any day are owned by large fleet companies. They have pre-negotiated rates for using JL.

Also, conventional (Blend) is a very needed option for the FCA and Ford products that only require 5W-20.

Have you removed the belly pan on a late-model VAG product? The extra labor time needed to fuss with the multiple different types of fasteners definitely warrants a higher charge.
Don't a lot of cars now have belly pans to remove? I know on my car when the indy charges $20 just for labor, he's got to remove 9 bolts to remove the plastic shield, and he even rotates the tires for the $20 too. He used to fill the fluids too, but now with windshield washer fluid so high, he skipped it the last time.

Don't a lot of cars now have belly pans to remove? I know on my car when the indy charges $20 just for labor, he's got to remove 9 bolts to remove the plastic shield, and he even rotates the tires for the $20 too. He used to fill the fluids too, but now with windshield washer fluid so high, he skipped it the last time.
Yes, but some are easy to remove, others are not.

Also, a lot of euro cars do not have a dipstick and the oil level check procedure can be extremely time consuming.

I just checked for Service Specials at the two Nissan dealers local to me . One of them has a coupon for a Synthetic oil change with Nissan filter for $49.99 .

Not gonna lie, it's a very valid point. But $110 for a vanilla synthetic oil change even in this economy is a bit of a stretch by any standard.
Considering that technician is gonna spend 48.00 to purchase lunch for him & one other technician in 2022. I don't think 110.00 is unreasonable. Rather the technician gets paid 100 an hour, that's a different discussion.

You should give him at least $60 for that.

My 2008 F-250 with the 6.4L Power Stroke took 15 quarts of HDEO 15w-40. $170 for an oil change at the dealer, and that was back in 2008 - 2010. Every other oil change it would need the two fuel filters changed out. That was another $190 (P&L) on top of the $170. Once my 50K mile warranty was up, I was more than happy to be doing the services myself.

I don't think $110 is unreasonable for a retail price. Can you DIY for cheaper? Of course. Can you go somewhere else for 10% or 20% less? Maybe, it depends on where you live. Is a Jiffy Lube service worth $110? No, probably not, IMO. I don't see the value in having a JL do the service for $110, unless it is literally one of your only options.

My 2008 F-250 with the 6.4L Power Stroke took 15 quarts of HDEO 15w-40. $170 for an oil change at the dealer, and that was back in 2008 - 2010. Every other oil change it would need the two fuel filters changed out. That was another $190 (P&L) on top of the $170. Once my 50K mile warranty was up, I was more than happy to be doing the services myself.

I don't think $110 is unreasonable for a retail price. Can you DIY for cheaper? Of course. Can you go somewhere else for 10% or 20% less? Maybe, it depends on where you live. Is a Jiffy Lube service worth $110? No, probably not, IMO. I don't see the value in having a JL do the service for $110, unless it is literally one of your only options.
There is one Valvoline-and three Jiffy Lubes within 5 miles of me. Obviously-many must use them since they have all been open a long time. No dealers on this side of town at all-this could have something to do with it.

There is one Valvoline-and three Jiffy Lubes within 5 miles of me. Obviously-many must use them since they have all been open a long time. No dealers on this side of town at all-this could have something to do with it.
The reasons many people use JL and similar chains is because of marketing, plain and simple. The vast majority of people give no thought to what goes in their car or who works on it, except if it breaks down. All they know is "My car (or the sticker) says I should change the oil. I take it to the place that does that, they do it and the car doesn't bother me about it anymore (or the sticker has a higher number)."

Not saying they mess everything up all the time. I just think there are better options in most cases (but not in all cases).

The reasons many people use JL and similar chains is because of marketing, plain and simple. The vast majority of people give no thought to what goes in their car or who works on it, except if it breaks down. All they know is "My car (or the sticker) says I should change the oil. I take it to the place that does that, they do it and the car doesn't bother me about it anymore (or the sticker has a higher number)."

Not saying they mess everything up all the time. I just think there are better options in most cases (but not in all cases).
We can disagree here-but IMHO many use them because of convenience. Over 75% of the cars in my neighborhood are Suburbans, mini vans, and CUV's-none the cheap kind, and that's what I see pulling in to those places. Mom drops the kids off at school-her husband says to take the Suburban up the street and get the oil changed. A half-hour later (or less) and it's done and on to the next errand. And 99.5% of time it's done so at least the vehicle doesn't blow up. The Valvoline (for one) gives solid choices in regards to their oil.

Back