JD POWER 2020 3yr Dependability ranking. The industry's improving

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Maybe if they got data from 36,000 people of one particular model for one particular year it would mean more than 36,000 out of 17,200,000
lol.gif

Don't wait on "they" to do what you want! YOU need to conduct the next study personally, and YOU give us the results from 36,000 people who own one model.

Step up Skippy! Get it done and report back!

Then you will discredit it because I'm not JD Power or Consumer Reports, or that I'm biased in some way. But hey... you want to take their little study and use it as the gospel, be my guest. I'll continue looking at them with a massive grain of salt.

I mean... there are more than 48,000 people who think the earth is flat, clearly they are onto something!

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Maybe if they got data from 36,000 people of one particular model for one particular year it would mean more than 36,000 out of 17,200,000
lol.gif

I know. That's a keen example.

Seriously, I'm not trying to pick on anyone but that representative sample or method falls way too short.
Take that tiny percentage and fan it out to cover domestics only and it has to be factored by cars, trucks, vans, SUV's etc .... by all GM, All Ford Lincoln Merc and All CFA . Still a teeny sample.
I'd rather see the 36,000 vehicles parsed by color and given a score.
Lets say all Domestics in Red come in with a favorable by-owner rating average of over 56% and all other colors come in less favorable. Just go with Red !

No way is any one person's concept of how to pick a good car or winner going to settle it for everyone. No sense getting too excitable about some naysayers. It isn't personal. Those numbers just don't sway me and yet there is plenty of other sources and information out there. I'm not super informed of this stuff, just tripping over information though the years such as;
- VQ was (is?) a good motor,
-VW had oil consumption issues a while back.
-Chrysler / Plymouth = tranny or head gasket issues.
-Ford CD4E tranny issues in 'the day'.....

Those are just a few things that factored into what/when I ended up buying or not buying.

Last edited:
"Yeah from the junk dealers send to the auction. And with little insight into what the various issues are, just generic "powertrain", "transmission". and "engine" issues."

Excuse me?. No! These cars are trade-ins that come from the largest dealer networks in the USA.

There are over 2.4 million vehicles that have been professionally inspected by mechanics at this point. Not owners who often have no clue about cars. Not a statistician who is paid to conceive a pre-determined result. Mechanics. Professionals who are experts at inspecting and appraising vehicles.

Here is some greater detail.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/click-here-first/

The information helps dealers figure out the type of used car inventory they should carry and which models should be avoided. For example, if you trade in a VW Passat with a bad transmission the last thing you want to see on the showroom floor is another Passat. It also keeps these dealers from purchasing vehicles for resale that may become defective in the near-term future.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Originally Posted by macarose
There are over 2.4 million vehicles that have been professionally inspected by mechanics at this point. Not owners who often have no clue about cars. Not a statistician who is paid to conceive a pre-determined result. Mechanics. Professionals who are experts at inspecting and appraising vehicles.

While I generally agree with your perspective on the larger topic at hand, it is laughable that you would disparage a statistician while simultaneously speaking praises of auto mechanics.

Not when you know the background of my partner in this study. But yes, bad data certainly can't overcome the abilities of a statistician. That's why J.D. Power is considered a joke within the auto industry.

Originally Posted by macarose
Not when you know the background of my partner in this study. But yes, bad data certainly can't overcome the abilities of a statistician. That's why J.D. Power is considered a joke within the auto industry.

I wouldn't go that far when every manufacturer that scores well produces television commercials touting it. Hardly a joke then.

36,000 people is not a small sampling.

360 is a small sample in this case.

Depending on the study, a fair sample of something could be 20 people.
I asked everyone who I served today, if they were happy with my service. 27 out of 27 said yes they were.
36,000 vehicle owners is at least for me, a significant amount of people. If someone thinks they are capable of getting all 17 million to do their survey, I will be looking forward to their results. As a matter of fact, I'll be very impressed with them getting just 25%, of those 17 million to give them back a completed survey about their vehicle ownership satisfaction.

Back