2023 Tire Satisfaction Survey by JD Power

No massive surprises in this survey that looked at original equipment tires. But a little surprised to see Pirelli at #1 in passenger car tires. Check out the linked article to see detailed bar graphs.

The annual study measures tire owner satisfaction in four areas (in order of importance): tire ride; tire wear; tire traction/handling; and tire appearance. The study includes four vehicle segments: luxury; passenger car; performance sport; and truck/utility.

Study Rankings:

Michelin ranks highest in the luxury segment with a score of 833 for a 20th consecutive year. Goodyear (818) ranks second. The segment average is 813.

Pirelli ranks highest in the passenger car segment with a score of 828 for a second consecutive year. Michelin (827) ranks second and BFGoodrich (825) ranks third.

Michelin ranks highest in the truck/utility segment with a score of 809. Bridgestone ranks second (801) and Continental ranks third (798).

The 2023 U.S. Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study is based on responses from 32,151 owners of 2021 and 2022 model-year vehicles and was fielded from August through December 2022.

Seems off that ride & wear are more important in the survey than traction/handling. And why is tire appearance even in the survey? Wheels sure but not tires. Hmm not sure the results are relative with that scale...

No surprise who is on top..again....you get what you pay for...

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero on Atlas as OE, and they do everything exceptionally well for 255/50 R20 tire. Not sure why would this vehicle needs such a large tire, and I will get rid of wheels, but tires are doing realy, really well.

Seems off that ride & wear are more important in the survey than traction/handling. And why is tire appearance even in the survey? Wheels sure but not tires. Hmm not sure the results are relative with that scale...
Appearance is huge thing for customers. Companies selling all terrain tires literally advertise that their tire will look exceptional well, hold on, parked at the mall!

Appearance is huge thing for customers. Companies selling all terrain tires literally advertise that their tire will look exceptional well, hold on, parked at the mall!
Hey now, I take it off road sometimes!

The KO2’s do look good though 😏
IMG_4448.jpeg

Some thoughts:

1) The JD Power survey on tires is actually a side project. The main focus of the survey is on vehicle brands.

2) Tires tend to benefit from "The Halo Effect" where the satisfaction level of the vehicle is reflected in the tire rating.

For example, it is common for luxury car manufacturers to want a premium tire on their vehicle, so they tend to pick Michelin because of the reputation. In return, Michelin gets good reviews because people are happy with the vehicle. And the cycle repeats! Michelin makes it worthwhile for the vehicle manufacturer to source their tires on vehicles that are likely to generate high ratings.

3) Since we know that OE tires are basically designed to vehicle manufacturer's specs, there is a clear disconnect between OE tires and what the tire manufacturer offers in the replacement market.

I have a story to tell: In one of the earliest JD Power surveys, the issue of appearance showed up as a negative for one of tires we supplied. Interestingly, that same tire was supplied to another vehicle and there was no appearance issue there. Investigating further resulted in the conclusion that the problem was the tire SIZE - customers wanted a larger tire on the vehicle. Ergo, things aren't always what they seem.

Edit: And I note with interest the comments in this thread about tires that are clearly not OE tires.

In my experience OE tires are not great on any vehicle, but not terrible either.

Since 799 out of 1000 breaks down to 8 out of 10 as a rating, that seems like a reasonable score.

Car makers don't want to pay for a great tire, so they buy okay tires, and save money.

In my experience OE tires are not great on any vehicle, but not terrible either.

Since 799 out of 1000 breaks down to 8 out of 10 as a rating, that seems like a reasonable score.

Car makers don't want to pay for a great tire, so they buy okay tires, and save money.
Car manufacturers have different priorities.. they want smooth quiet ride with every ounce of fuel economy possible.

for most cars the traction and longevity is an afterthought.

Just look at how many years subaru has proclaimed their vehicles winter tanks..
but put those below average yokohama g91f and g95a tires on.
Some of their other options OEM Contis on outbacks were not better

There are exceptions sometimes enthusiast models get better tires

The jeep cherokee trailhawk getting real firestone destination AT's
Subaru forester wilderness getting yokohama geolandar g015

Some sporty models getting good summer tires.. etc.

No surprise who is on top..again....you get what you pay for...

You're referring to the J D Power survey results aren't you? My experience is that they can make a "survey" show any results that somebody is willing to pay for; just be asking the right questions and by how they "weigh" the responses. Have you ever listened closely to their advertisements? best made in America, in it's weight class, among small size, two door, new, family, sedans and the like. They EXCLUDE any competing car, tire, washing machine, or whatever until only their chosen brand remains.

The moment that I see any claim from JD Power and Ass, I start wondering what they're NOT telling us!

If the test is merely based on OE tires, it is worthless. OE tires are spec'd differently in terms of compound and uniformity. I've seen OE Continental's on Audi's with a foam strip inside the tire for noise control. The replacement tire the customer provided did not have the foam.
I've also seen Honda products with a plastic frequency control patch attached inside the wheel to control noise, they are marked with a specific frequency which I'm pretty sure would be tuned to the OE tire.

You're referring to the J D Power survey results aren't you? My experience is that they can make a "survey" show any results that somebody is willing to pay for; just be asking the right questions and by how they "weigh" the responses. Have you ever listened closely to their advertisements? best made in America, in it's weight class, among small size, two door, new, family, sedans and the like. They EXCLUDE any competing car, tire, washing machine, or whatever until only their chosen brand remains.

The moment that I see any claim from JD Power and Ass, I start wondering what they're NOT telling us!
you are right...they can even make a Dodge look good... :D

Back