Italian Tuneups: What's the longest you've run your engine at high RPM?

Hook 10-12,000lbs to back of 6.0L chevy and head for a hilly area. You will see 4500+rpm's for extended periods of time and the truck just won't care about it. It'll happily do that all day every day for a couple hundred thousand miles as long as you keep the tank full and change the oil, you might need to change a transmission at some point in there but the engine just keeps on going.

With all this advice about how it's good for the engine to run up to max power (which I agree with, so long as certain conditions are met), it's worth mentioning that most car engines are not designed to produce their max power for continuous lifecycle operation. For example, that wankel twin turbo that I mentioned ('95 RX-7) would get heat soaked, cut boost and lose power if you drove it HARD in 2nd gear for more than 10-15 minutes. Those motorbikes were the same, as is my '14 Mazda 3. And heat soaking is not the only issue. The bottom line is that while it's good to do this occasionally, even regularly, it's not good to operate it like this all the time.

There are exceptions, some engines designed to operate at 75% or more of their rated power continuously. More often seen in boats and aircraft, and perhaps commercial diesels in big trucks. Less often in passenger cars.

Don't be surprised on a OBDII or CAN-bus you get a DTC (or multiple DTC) )and even the ECU adjusting your engine into limp mode.
On older pre OBD1 or good old fashion none ECU you likely just break something
What multiple DTCs should we expect? Just curious.

What multiple DTCs should we expect? Just curious.
1631909356285.jpg

I get concerned re ring ridge... When an engine is not regularly spun-up, the max travel of the pistons and specifically piston rings is not as high (or as low) along the respective cylinder bores
.. and when you DO spin it up, the rings can crack... when hitting the ridge. At least that's the theory. Not sure though that a moderately worn engine actually generates much of a ridge in any case...
I bought a used 351 ford motor to rebuild, actually had to rent ridge cutter to get the piston/rod assembly out of the block, got to careful that you do not cut the ridge too much

3 or 4 minutes in my truck. 3rd gear , 4500 RPM trying to keep up 55 on a big hill in PA while towing.

The engine has some piston slap? lash adjuster noise? but it has never been quieter than it was immediately after that.

I had a 1988 Jetta GLI 16v and with my cousin on way to Great Sand Dunes national park was driving it 120 MPH at 5000+ rpm in 100F weather no less for about an hour.

The oil temp showed 245 F in it mini primitive computer.

I was thinking about those "Italian Tuneups" and giving the ol' Camry a high rpm run tomorrow as I've a long trip to make on some wide-open, low-traveled roads. What have you done in this regard, and have you noticed any improvements in performance when done exercising your "steed?"

The best I've ever done was about 3,500rpm in top gear (abt 100mph) for a few minutes.
What's "high rpm"? My old 02 Civic SI used to run at 4k in 5th going 80. I'd do that for 3 hours between gas stops for the equivalent of thousands of miles.

Every time I am in the car, engine will see 7,000rpm.
But, i did drive BMW at 6k for 20-25 minutes in February when I installed oil cooler to see how it works.
I did hour and a half track session this summer at 102 degrees and 5,000ft altitude in BMW also.

In my boats

- I ran my 406/6.6L at 5500 RM for an hour between Havasu Springs and Laughlin Nevada.
I ran my 505 CI/8.3L V10 ilmor 710 at 5200 for half an hour from Marina Del Rey to Avalon bay Catalina.

Skip to 1:25 and watch for a bit to get an idea of the sustained output. 3:13 to 4: 30 is another short burst.

We were prop testing that day.

Absolutely incredible output. Beautiful.

Last edited:
I was thinking about those "Italian Tuneups" and giving the ol' Camry a high rpm run tomorrow as I've a long trip to make on some wide-open, low-traveled roads. What have you done in this regard, and have you noticed any improvements in performance when done exercising your "steed?"

The best I've ever done was about 3,500rpm in top gear (abt 100mph) for a few minutes.
I have been running many cars at 3.5k rpm or 4 rpm for hours on hot day, but if your intent is to clean carbon deposit, I find 2 or 3 times x 1 hour idling in different days with Chevron Techron fuel is equally effective. However, I have not tried idling with other PEA additive like Redline SI-1 to see if that is also equally effective.

With all this advice about how it's good for the engine to run up to max power (which I agree with, so long as certain conditions are met), it's worth mentioning that most car engines are not designed to produce their max power for continuous lifecycle operation. For example, that wankel twin turbo that I mentioned ('95 RX-7) would get heat soaked, cut boost and lose power if you drove it HARD in 2nd gear for more than 10-15 minutes. Those motorbikes were the same, as is my '14 Mazda 3. And heat soaking is not the only issue. The bottom line is that while it's good to do this occasionally, even regularly, it's not good to operate it like this all the time.

There are exceptions, some engines designed to operate at 75% or more of their rated power continuously. More often seen in boats and aircraft, and perhaps commercial diesels in big trucks. Less often in passenger cars.

The diesel engine in my car had a 5 cylinder version aswell, which also had a marine application that produced 50 Hp more than the most powerful road version from the same displacement.

Not that it's easy to run at maximum power for long if you have enough, max speed is beyond the rpm of max power in my car so power is actually reducing above 135 mph...

My Prius sees WOT (whatever that results in, for a hybrid) multiple times a day when it goes up a 1/2 mile long hill near my house. So far it seems to be surviving after 221K and does not suffer any of the common oil consumption issues.

Back