Italian Tuneups: What's the longest you've run your engine at high RPM?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I was thinking about those "Italian Tuneups" and giving the ol' Camry a high rpm run tomorrow as I've a long trip to make on some wide-open, low-traveled roads. What have you done in this regard, and have you noticed any improvements in performance when done exercising your "steed?"

The best I've ever done was about 3,500rpm in top gear (abt 100mph) for a few minutes.

3500 rpm isn't exactly high rpm, but with that said, I've been of the opinion that beating on an older out of warranty car is not the best thing for it or your wallet. You might find the engine will now fit loosely in a 5 gallon bucket.

I've never done one much longer than an occasional blast on steep uphill onramps to get up to 75mph or so and only then when the engine is fully warmed up. The uphill nature in ramps like that means I get to wind it out a bit more (fighting the hill) than on flat ground, but I wouldn't probably want to do much more than that (I don't have a reason to drive on the highway in third gear or anything like that, though if I had symptoms that might be solved with an Italian tuneup I'd consider it).

I haven't spent much time in cars that are geared short, so even rather high highway speeds (think South Dakota's 80mph limits on the interstate) lead to RPMs well under 3000 in all of our cars (closer to 2000 in most of them).

Well, mine would be at about 4000+ on my 91 Miata for about 3 hours straight on a highway. Geared short and keeping pace with traffic on an interstate trip. Same car I regularly tracked on Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park. Didn't use oil, didn't complain.

Miss that car.

more manufacturers need to step up + use both port + DI to eliminate the carbon issues, VW has it overseas but NOT in USA go figure!!! it surely costs more + complicates things even more so i only own older port injected vehicles with real manual transmissions!! thats just how i roll!!

1985 Toyota MR2 (1.6L 4 cyl) running from Cheapeake, VA to New England and back in the ‘90s. The engine was turning at well over 4K RPMs for hours on end at “highway speeds” that are typical on Rt.95, New Jersey Turnpike, etc. I couldn't stand hearing the engine running at that speed for so long, but it was what it was….

5-6k rpm from Chicago to Salt Lake City and back on a Honda CB 750 long time ago.
images

5-6k rpm from Chicago to Salt Lake City and back on a Honda CB 750 long time ago.
images
Nice bike. I rode one for a short time back when they first came out, 1969-70 I believe. Do you recall the redline on that puppy?

Back