What’s the ultimate road trip car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
In your opinion, what’s the ultimate road trip car?

Just got back from the longest trip I’ve taken my Genesis on so far. Previously the longest I had done was a trip to Vegas. I drove up to Monterey, CA to take Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway down to Long Beach, then back to Phoenix. Also drove around the LA/Hollywood area.

To me, it’s the ultimate road trip car. Extremely comfortable seats and effortless high speed interstate cruising made it a joy through the boring parts of the trip.

The handling is as good as a big heavy car can get, and the Pacific Coast Highway is full of twists and turns.

The V8 has all the power you need/want and will rip it’s way merging from the shoulder or into/out of a turn.

It also has all the tech I want, with Apple CarPlay for Waze, ventilated 14 way adjustable seats, radar cruise control, and automatic climate control.

1,698 miles and 81.39 gallons turned out to be 20.86 mpg. I’m not an easy going driver at all. Most of one tank was sitting in traffic in LA. riving back to Phoenix was almost entirely with the cruise set at 85, with some areas at 90 to keep up with traffic. My best tank was 23.1 mpg. I also only run it on 87 octane, not sure if that makes a difference.

Although it turns out it isn’t too good in the sand, as I got stuck in the parking lot at Pismo Beach by trying to create my own parking spot. :ROFLMAO: But I dug with my hands for about 5 minutes and was able to back up, threw off some good rooster tails onto some people, I apologized but they were laughing so all was well.

So what’s the ultimate road trip car to you?

611349CF-65A9-4388-9DDD-033AD1143F07.jpeg

44D71BFC-8A5F-4F80-87DB-0E7086BC8F4C.jpeg

If price is of no concern, I'll say the Bentley Continental GT Convertible is at the top of my list.

iu

For the less-traveled road a G Wagen would suffice.

iu

Last edited:
I’ll second the Lexus LS460. Big v8, heavy car but not floaty, silent. tall, relaxed gearing. My FIL had one. my Gs 350 is too twitchy at the wheel and the 18” wheels transmit every crack in the pavement, but the cockpit isn‘t a bad place to be. I enjoyed every road trip in our Volvo s60s. Of the ones in our stable now, it may very well be the f150. It’s quite relaxed on the road and is comparable in cab quietness to the Lexus.

Chevy Suburban - I put 125,000 miles on it seeing the country.
Ditto this. Our favorite road trip car - with the kids - was a 2003 Yukon XL. Roomy, comfy seats, and quiet. Fuel economy…not great.

Our 2021 CX-9 also eats up the miles and gets a steady 26 mpg. The turbo motor is smooth and has loads of torque. Super quiet interior and comfy seats.

Prius.

Hear me out.

500 miles to a tank. Radar cruise, decent climate control. Non intrusive powertrain.

And it's so cheap to run you can do a spontaneous road trip and pay for it with pocket lint. A road trip should be about the trip, not the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back