It never fails.... oil pan drain plug threads stripped out by mechanic.

Why is it your shop's fault that Jasper has bad quality control?
What comes to mind, and this is without knowing much of the OPs situation with the Jasper engines — usually I’ve seen Jasper as an option offered by shops and sold to customers. Versus your typical Joe Blow going to them, buying their reman engine/trans and then taking it to a shop for installation.

I am not sure if Jasper even sells to an individual without being an authorized reseller/installer.

If the latter is not the case, where as the shop did the sale of a new engine, etc. there should be a limited warranty that Jasper provides that is what the OP would be getting. In that case it isn’t OP or really the shops fault, but the shop sold the “part” and should make right on it. But three times is a rough go.

Probably a crummy pan on the Jasper engine after reading through all this.

I don’t know if I personally would go with a Jasper reman. I’d probably go with an acceptable mileage (acceptable to my requirements, cost, use) junkyard used motor or take it to a local machine shop for rebuild.

What comes to mind, and this is without knowing much of the OPs situation with the Jasper engines — usually I’ve seen Jasper as an option offered by shops and sold to customers. Versus your typical Joe Blow going to them, buying their reman engine/trans and then taking it to a shop for installation.

I am not sure if Jasper even sells to an individual without being an authorized reseller/installer.

If the latter is not the case, where as the shop did the sale of a new engine, etc. there should be a limited warranty that Jasper provides that is what the OP would be getting. In that case it isn’t OP or really the shops fault, but the shop sold the “part” and should make right on it. But three times is a rough go.

Probably a crummy pan on the Jasper engine after reading through all this.

I don’t know if I personally would go with a Jasper reman. I’d probably go with an acceptable mileage (acceptable to my requirements, cost, use) junkyard used motor or take it to a local machine shop for rebuild.
Jasper will sell to anyone, but the warranty is only intact if the engine is installed by a "certified installer." Can't blame them for that, really.

What's REALLY amazing is all this hub bub over such a minor part of an engine and people being unreasonable all around. I stubbed my toe.....whelp, better amputate the whole foot......

Why not pursue something like a Timesert? I did one on an aluminum pan in a Freestyle (Ford 500) and it was great. And you get steel threads for the future.

If it was a Jasper engine, do they reuse oil pans? If so, previous history unknown!
I was going to suggest the Timesert. This is the scenario where they are a great fix. Done in well under half an hour, no need for a new pan, steel threads for future use.

Of course, the shop would have to have purchased the Timesert kit before hand, and this doesn’t sound like a shop that would invest in things like that.

I had this happen with my last oil change so I understand that it is as annoying as any explicative that you can think of. However, do we really want to hold them responsible for stripping the aluminum pan when attempting to unscrew rather than tighten the drain plug?

They don't know whose been under the vehicle regardless of what the customer says and aluminum pans are what they are.
Unless the tech screwed up and tightened first, by accident, before removing. Stripping the threads.
Tired things like that can happen.

I was at a Ford deadlier waiting for something and watched a "Tech" doing an oil change using a impact wrench to remove and replace a drain plug. For this, one pays a premium price to have a "profession" change your oil. Shows there is no pride in the work anymore at this shop. Ed

I bet that the vehicles with drain plugs located such that an impact wrench CANNOT be used on them...rarely have the drain plug strip out.

With an impact in hand, you bet. With a wrench? Unlikely…
we used to have a guy like that at my job... this individual stripped every drain plug he touched. air gun... he eventually got fired..

ike I said somewhere earlier in this post,. there are kits available for drainplug repair.. I don't know why they don't avail themselves of this tidbit of info and use it...

guess they just want to complain.

we used to have a guy like that at my job... this individual stripped every drain plug he touched. air gun... he eventually got fired..
When you pay for your own mistakes, you quickly learn not to make them.

When somebody else (like a customer) eats the cost, it’s easy to believe that you do a good job.

Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Really sucks that this shop couldn't at a minimum, comp you some of the labor given they've been the only one to touch this "wear item", with records to support this.

It sounds like they don't want your business anymore. Probably best to move on. Really good shops are hard to find these days.

Jasper will sell to anyone, but the warranty is only intact if the engine is installed by a "certified installer." Can't blame them for that, really.

What's REALLY amazing is all this hub bub over such a minor part of an engine and people being unreasonable all around. I stubbed my toe.....whelp, better amputate the whole foot......
That makes sense warranty wise.

I'd figure to do a timesert as well. Maybe the "we don't wanna do a timesert" is the shops way of saying go away.

I posted earlier in the thread , being a machinist , i would find a drain plug the next size bigger , and retap the hole for that size, easier than taking the pan of , and given your luck , i would be scared to take the pan off for fear of finding something i didnt want to see

I think mechanics over tighten because they reuse the crush washer. (General comment. May or may not be the reason here).

I found a drain plug on my daughter's vehicle that I could not budge. I figured there was a chance the threads were stripped. Probably done at JL. Told her to bring it back to the place that changed the oil last.

Last edited:
How can the mechanic be sure you had not taken the vehicle to JL or changed the oil yourself? However if he wants your business he should of offered something. Like you bring in an oil pan and I will install it at no cost.

Back