It looks like electric vehicles are going to be shoved down our throats

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 2.5 million registered vehicles in the city of Los Angeles, one of the cities that would benefit the most from E cars from the emissions standpoint. It would require over 20 gigawatts to charge them over night. More than 7 large nuclear reactors. Ok, they’ll charge at night, so subtract all of California’s solar energy production from the existing capacity. This is why Exxon Mobil is staying the course.

As a second car they are viable for many of you on here. This place (BITOG forum) is a board that is resistant to change to put it mildly. My wife's Santa Fe falls under the average trip from home miles.
quote-
Search Results
Average car trip distance
On a daily basis, the average person traveled 40 miles, most of it (35 miles) in a personal vehicle. Because more than one person can travel in a personal vehicle, these 35 person miles amounted to about 23 vehicle miles traveled. Annually, the total number of vehicle miles traveled in 2001 was nearly 2.3 trillion

These statistics make an electric car viable-at least for a second vehicle. Now-consider with the experience of working from home forced upon us by recent events-the miles driven are probably less, and may continue to be less if working from home is allowed after this whole thing is over.

BITOG is fear of the unknown/new tech on steroids.
Not may people are going to want a house payment for a 2nd vehicle...

A lot of things can happen by 2035. I will ride a horse instead.
Do you know why Ferraris have a Horse for their logo?? wellllll do you :p Ferrari usedsa Horse for their logo because they end up costing about the same to own. Don't forget you have to feed and shoe or trim the horses hooves and vet charges whether you ride them or not.

I would like an electric vehicle one of these days because for 20+ years I worked on electric forklifts ,and in some instances gas is better and some instances electric is better. We are in the infancy of electric vehicles and we will see what happens. But the bottom line will be ,where will the electricity come from to charge the batteries. Yeah it comes from the plug in the wall.

I keep seeing announcements form the automakers saying they want to be all electric by 20XX. What about what the public wants? Do they think they can produce any type of vehicle they want and people will just buy them? I'm sure some people will warm up to electric vehicles, but there are also those who won't...I can tell you I have no desire to own one...
If people don’t buy them, they won’t keep making them.

You still have a choice. Nothing being shoved down your throat.

Keep driving what you already have.

It all would be fine if it was done with pure magnetics and no electric. Electric is the most dangerous power there is, most all fires are started by something electric. And then there are the Li batterys that just go poof all by themselves. If your smart you would not park an electric car, or hybrid closer than 50 feet from your house. I'd like to know how anyone with a 2 week power outage plans to charge their electric car?

From that same article...

"The percentage may not be as high as the 70 percent that Volvo claims, as this also has a lot to do with suppliers and supply chains, but even if it’s lower, it is unlikely to be much more in the EVs favor. And as is stated in the AutoTrader source article, this news certainly lends more credence to some automakers’ claims that giving their EVs smaller batteries is the greenest way to go (the Mazda MX-30 and the Honda e are two vehicles created under such philosophies)."

For me and I’m sure like most people. It’s all about distance and how quickly one can charge. How efficient are the batteries going to be 10+ years down the road?

V8 only for me. No electric crap belongs in my garage or any true car enthusiast
Ha ha I retired from Tesla two years ago and my newest car is a Jaguar F Type R with a 4 cam, 32 valve supercharged V8 with 575 HP.
People ask me why I didn't buy a Tesla. It would actually be pretty practical for my driving requirements.

But it doesn't look like the Jaguar, sound like the Jaguar, have the cachet of the Jaguar nor garner the kind of complements that I receive almost any time I stop somewhere.

However, I am not naive enough to challenge a Tesla to a drag race !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back