Is it safe to mix 0W20 and 5W30 in 75/25 proportion of the same oil brand and type?

Hi All, I would appreciate an advice here. I am thinking of trying this Valvoline Restore & Protect motor oil in my Honda Accord 2012 4 cyl with 200K mi for the benefits described in this video by Lake Speed, Jr. on YouTube. Honda recommends 0w20 for all year round in my Honda Accord according to the manual. However, the kinematic viscosity at 100C of this Valvoline Restore & Protect 0W20 oil is a bit on the lower side for my engine - it has 8.4 according to Valvoline PDS. I used Valvoline Extended Protection 8.4 oils in the past and the engine performed quite noisier than with oils of higher visc@100C coefficient. In order to raise kinematic viscosity coefficient at operating temperature, I am thinking to mix Valvoline Restore & Protect oil where I use 75% of 0W20 with 8.4 and 25% of 5W30 with 10.8 visc@100C. Again, both 0W20 and 5W30 will be Valvoline Restore & Protect, just different viscosities.This will provide me with roughly 9.0 visc@100C that is better viscosity number for my engine. It's just putting 5W30 by itself with 10.8 is too much that's why I am considering to go for a 75/25 mix.Please share you insight regarding this. Much appreciated your take on that.

It's not too much. Your engine can handle 20W-50 without concerns - other than a slight drop in mpg.
Mixing is safe, but the resulting goo won't necessarily be better than the original components.
If he has the stuff sitting around and wants to use it up it shouldn’t matter.

If his engine burns oil he could start with 20wt and add a higher viscosity as it drinks the lightweight stuff.

Thats what I do with my old 5.2 dodge, calls for 5w30 but my topoff oils are 40wt or 50wt.

After a while the drinking stops then it’s about time to change the oil.

Hi All, I would appreciate an advice here. I am thinking of trying this Valvoline Restore & Protect motor oil in my Honda Accord 2012 4 cyl with 200K mi for the benefits described in this video by Lake Speed, Jr. on YouTube. Honda recommends 0w20 for all year round in my Honda Accord according to the manual. However, the kinematic viscosity at 100C of this Valvoline Restore & Protect 0W20 oil is a bit on the lower side for my engine - it has 8.4 according to Valvoline PDS. I used Valvoline Extended Protection 8.4 oils in the past and the engine performed quite noisier than with oils of higher visc@100C coefficient. In order to raise kinematic viscosity coefficient at operating temperature, I am thinking to mix Valvoline Restore & Protect oil where I use 75% of 0W20 with 8.4 and 25% of 5W30 with 10.8 visc@100C. Again, both 0W20 and 5W30 will be Valvoline Restore & Protect, just different viscosities.This will provide me with roughly 9.0 visc@100C that is better viscosity number for my engine. It's just putting 5W30 by itself with 10.8 is too much that's why I am considering to go for a 75/25 mix.Please share you insight regarding this. Much appreciated your take on that.
yes it is

I've done it* many times with no issues.

* I'll put a 5 qt jug of 5w20 and a single quart of 5w30 of the same brand in the 5.7 quart crankcase of my Escape 2.5....I run a longer 3600 size filter so the extra .3 quart brings it to FULL on the dipstick.

You are not achieving anything by mixing these oils. Far more important considerations are oil change intervals and overall maintenance of the engine. I would consider shorter intervals.

Safe - yes
Why - if it keeps you happy, rock on.
Older Honda 2.4- I'd just do the 5W-30 and sleep well, that's the weight in my daughters '08 CRV with over 235k on it. When my stash runs out, maybe it will be the R&P.

I just had M1- 0W-40 in my Accord. I didn't like the cold performance of the motor. It now as other stuff in it a bit thinner. Cold VTC/VVT performance is better. I still hear slight clatter at start but that has been from multiple oils and weights.

If long drives maybe extend OCI some. If short trip consider it "extreme" conditions and go shorter.

Blend your mentioned oils to your heart's content. I've been doing it since 1970. I'm first & last owner and those that say oil life may get shortened because of it, well I'm living proof that 300+k can be reached doing it, with minimum consumption at the end (approx 20 years)...... vehicles died because of rust dangers.

It's the oil grade the engine desires that matters more. It's the increased amount of OCIs the engine needs that matters more. It's keeping the dipstick oil level at FULL that matters more.

The main issue with blending 0W20 and 5W30 is the cold temp performance will become an unknown. If cold temp performance is not an issue, then it is probably ok to do.
5W is still good down to -22º F so it's probably not a concern.

I do it every OCI on certain engines, and have in various applications for decades (if it made sense).

My current example, my MAZDA 3 (with the 2.5) will use almost a qt of oil running just 5/30 during a 5k mi OCI.
I first found the car loves EURO oils, I then found that if I do 2qts 0/40 and the rest the called for 5/30, the car uses no oil at all or hardly any on a 7k mi OCI. All the same oil, just different viscosities to bring the viscosity index up a bit.

Last oil change on my 1.5T Civic, cleaning out the garage, I mixed Valvoline 0W20, Castrol Magnatec 5W-30, Quaker State 0W-20, and topped it off with some QS 5W-30. All quality synthetics. If there is a problem, I don't know about it.

Back