'15 Avalon 0w20/5w30 mix and OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

We recently acquired a new (used) Toyota Avalon. The car has about 92k miles on it now (about 4k miles since purchased) and it is showing a maintenance required soon msg on the dash. FWIW, this is primarily my Wife's car, and sees a lot of around town driving (about 80%) with a 45 minute commute each way to work. It also sits overnight in an attached garage during the winter months while the "toys" are in storage.

I would like to change the oil and filter with Mobil1 0w20 and a Mobil1 filter, as those products have always been good to me in the past. This being the first car we have owned requesting a 0w20 (with no alternatives listed in the manual), I do not have any in stock and was planning to take advantage of an Advanced Auto oil change special with 5qts and filter. This car supposedly takes 6.5 qts and I was considering adding the 1.5qt difference using some Mobil1 5w30, of which I have plenty. I am considering this partly to save from having to buy an additional 2qt singles or another 5qt jug, and also to help thicken the oil slightly, as this is also our first vehicle with direct injection, which I hear typically goes hand in hand with fuel dilution.

Also, with all of our past cars I have done 10k OCI's with no problems (Older NA Honda's and Acura's). I would like to do the same with this car for simplicity. I was thinking of running this next OCI out to 100k (about 8k miles) and then doing a UOA to verify before hopefully going to steady 10k intervals, however I am nervous that even 8k might be too long based on it's service history /integrated reminders (According to the carfax, it saw dealer services about every 5k miles, and from what I can tell the longest you can set an oil change reminder is 5k miles using the integrated maintenance app).

That said, are there any reasons I may not want to do this? Any input/discussion appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

As far as I know, the Toyota DI engine does not have fuel dilution issue.

Have you read somewhere that it has that issue?
Just a note that we CANNOT normalize statement if A (singular) DI engine have fuel dilution issue then ALL (plural) have fuel dilution issue?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
As far as I know, the Toyota DI engine does not have fuel dilution issue.

Have you read somewhere that it has that issue?
Just a note that we CANNOT normalize statement if A (singular) DI engine have fuel dilution issue then ALL (plural) have fuel dilution issue?

I cannot say that I have read anything along the lines of this particular engine having fuel dilution issues. I can just say that in general it seems as though whenever Direct Injection is discussed, that fuel dilution is soon to join the conversation. I assumed (Perhaps incorrectly) that the principles of operation of DI contributed to fuel dilution when engines were run in sub-optimal temperatures.

By the way, mixing different viscosity of oil is fine and even if there is fuel dilution, there will not be any harm.

Toyota has never been picky with oil.
Despite what people think, all the engine knows is that it has oil or not.
The engine cannot decipher the mix of different viscosity.

It can to a certain degree... CATERHAM has many posts on here detailing increases in oil temperatures and changes in mileage based on the HTHS of a given oil, and you better believe the engine will be able to tell if you tried running a 60wt oil cold in an Alaska winter.

The Liqui-Moly PPT posted here a couple days ago sums it up best, I think: Pick an oil with the correct specifications for your engine FIRST, then choose viscosity.

Would a 2015 Avalon have direct injection?
I know the 2GR-FE engines in my our 2006 Toyotas (wife's Avalon and my old RAV4) were port injected, but I can't tell for sure from poking around online if DI was ever introduced into that particular engine...seems like Toyota will usually add or change a letter when a mod is made, but I guess that may not be a given.
I looked up the power numbers for the 2015 Avalon found 268HP, same as for the 2006s.
I see that the 2019 Avalons have a 2GR-FKS engine that is definitely DI.

Anybody know for sure about a 2015?

BTW, 5W30 was recommended for the 2GR-FE in 2006...

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I know the 2GR-FE engines in my our 2006 Toyotas (wife's Avalon and my old RAV4) were port injected, but I can't tell for sure from poking around online if DI was ever introduced into that particular engine...seems like Toyota will usually add or change a letter when a mod is made, but I guess that may not be a given.
I looked up the power numbers for the 2015 Avalon found 268HP, same as for the 2006s.

I was going based on an article I read here https://ourautoexpert.com/2015-toyota-avalon-xle-touring-sport-test-drive/ which states "All non-Hybrid Avalons will be powered by a 3.5-liter, DOHC, 24-valve V6 engine with dual VVT-I and Toyota Direct Injection, which produces 268 horsepower at 6,200 rpm along with 248 pound feet of torque at 4,700 rpm."

That is interesting about the previous engine recommending the heaver weight oil. I was actually considering running straight 5w30 in the summer in this car. That makes me feel better about wanting to do so.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the replies so far!

By the way, mixing different viscosity of oil is fine and even if there is fuel dilution, there will not be any harm.

Toyota has never been picky with oil.
Despite what people think, all the engine knows is that it has oil or not.

I have kind of been in this camp (within reason) and have never had a problem going up a grade on any of my vehicles in the past. This car however is the newest/most high tech car I have ever owned and so I was leaning towards "better safe than sorry" in case this engine was actually designed around the thinner oil. Also, I tend to drive a lot harder than my wife does with lots of WOT/Redline where I felt the heavier grade of oil was hopefully providing a little better protection, this car likely won't see those conditions.

For one oil change go for it. no problem. Those two oils are close anyway. Especially of they are both synthetic and from the same manufacturer.

For later on go ahead and buy an extra jug of 0w20 and use that for the 1.5qt top off. you'll get three per jug which will be much cheaper than buying qts.

With DI engines check the oil at 5K. compare to fresh to see if there is a radical change in thickness and clarity. if so dump it and stay with 5K. For reference my 2014 sienna (2gr-fe) has a 10K OCI on 0w20 oil and the mainteance interval is still set for 5K. they want to get you back in the dealership for an oil check and shake down for other profit items. I reset the light and wait for the next time. I used to change it at 5K but it got embarrassing dumping dark honey colored oil into the recycle bin. even at 10K its dark maple syrup colored. nowhere near black, watery of pigmented like black paint. In the 80s at 3K, the oil was black. you could not see your finger. new oils are much better.

I wouldn't fret one bit about adding some 5w-30 to the 0w-20. But unless you know the specific oil change history of the car you purchased, in the event it got synthetic blend changes every 5K miles, you may see some temporary oil consumption and some minor oil leaks after switching to Mobil1. If you don't, you'll be ahead of the game.

Personally I'd probably use 5w-20 high mileage full synthetic in CT with a motor approaching 100K miles.

The 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 engine is port injected. The 2GR-FSE is direct injected. As far as I know, Toyota doesn't spec out a specific oil except API SN for the 2015 Avalon model year. Check you owner's manual and use what it says. As for mixing grades, I would follow what the owner's manual suggests as that grade is what the engine was designed for.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Virtus is correct:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avalon

Avalon engine is NOT DI (2GR-FKS) till 2018-19.
2GR-FSE uses both DI and Port Injection Hybrid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back