The Ecoboost engine and the type of oil...

I use Castrol 0w-40 mainly because of the fuel dilution and timing chain issues. Im not to worried about LSPI, I haven't found much for LSPI issues for the 3.5 Eco. I change at 5k intervals, but I have not done any UOA. I did consider using 5w-30 for the last OC I did just last week, but decided against it just because I have a jug of 0w-40 already for the 6th quart.
I do use the 0w-40 vs 5w-40 just because of what Ive read on here about it being a "better" oil. IDK....

Interesting thread!

Originally Posted by Srt20
I use Castrol 0w-40 mainly because of the fuel dilution and timing chain issues. Im not to worried about LSPI, I haven't found much for LSPI issues for the 3.5 Eco. I change at 5k intervals, but I have not done any UOA. I did consider using 5w-30 for the last OC I did just last week, but decided against it just because I have a jug of 0w-40 already for the 6th quart.
I do use the 0w-40 vs 5w-40 just because of what Ive read on here about it being a "better" oil. IDK....

Interesting thread!

I am the one who is pushing that and here is why, just to be clear.
Frst, both oils are same price. So that is comparison measure. Not that Edge 5W40 is bad oil, but for the same price you can get more.
Edge 0W40 has lower cst, between 12.9 and 13.1 depending on batch. However, HTHS is at 3.7 while Noack is at 9.1%
Edge 5W40 has cst at 13.9 but HTHS is same as 0W40 at 3.7. That means that Edge 0W40 has same HTHS but it has lower KV100 which indicates better base stock (and 0W40 is 25-50% PAO, while 5W40 is strictly GrIII). Also, Edge 5W40 has Noack 11%. If they were both same base stock, 5W40 should have lower Noack, but it dos not.
In the end for those who are not interested in such details, Edge 5W40 does not have MB229.5 approval, while Edge 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS do have.

1st gen eco on my 2016. Exclusively Castro's 0w40 (made in Belgium or Germany) year round in Calgary. 5-8k km oil changes.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Srt20

Interesting thread!

I am the one who is pushing that and here is why, just to be clear.
Frst, both oils are same price. So that is comparison measure. Not that Edge 5W40 is bad oil, but for the same price you can get more.
Edge 0W40 has lower cst, between 12.9 and 13.1 depending on batch. However, HTHS is at 3.7 while Noack is at 9.1%
Edge 5W40 has cst at 13.9 but HTHS is same as 0W40 at 3.7. That means that Edge 0W40 has same HTHS but it has lower KV100 which indicates better base stock (and 0W40 is 25-50% PAO, while 5W40 is strictly GrIII). Also, Edge 5W40 has Noack 11%. If they were both same base stock, 5W40 should have lower Noack, but it dos not.
In the end for those who are not interested in such details, Edge 5W40 does not have MB229.5 approval, while Edge 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS do have.

Good info!

The following image appeared on the Blackstone oil blog. The post was taken down possibly because of lawsuit threats.

Amsoil responded in a blog that any 5W40 is better than any 5W30 oil stating Blackstone was comparing apples to oranges.

Shell Rotella T6 5W40 isnt suggested for gas engines because of cat converters and its basically a group iii type oil. Its not the best 5W40 on the block, but yet does better than the entire group including Amsoil.

So whatever 5W40 you get it will most likely be better than any 5W30 even boutique oils like Amsoil.

[Linked Image]

I like knowing I have high quality stuff so I went with Delvac knowing its mainly Group 4 PAO type. The best is probably Redline or Motul with Group 5 esters. However its so expensive that I couldnt justify it. Summit Racing sells Delvac at a good price so went with that.

Castrol 5W40 will be at least better than any 5W30 oil. I would go with Delvac because of price and quality. Mobil right now has a rebate of 10 per jug.

The reality is any 5W40 will be better than any 5W30 you can come up with...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
I like knowing I have high quality stuff so I went with Delvac knowing its mainly Group 4 PAO type. The best is probably Redline or Motul with Group 5 esters. However its so expensive that I couldnt justify it. Summit Racing sells Delvac at a good price so went with that.

Castrol 5W40 will be at least better than any 5W30 oil. I would go with Delvac because of price and quality. Mobil right now has a rebate of 10 per jug.

The reality is any 5W40 will be better than any 5W30 you can come up with...

Motul is not Ester based. Only V series from Motul is Ester based.
Old X-Cess etc. is PAO based, and numbers are really not that good, but perception is strange thing.
As of last year Motul moved to Group III based oils.
Redline is good, but nothing special. Their professional series is mediocre at best and it is repackaged Phillips66.

I like knowing I have high quality stuff so I went with Delvac knowing its mainly Group 4 PAO type.
Delvac is not PAO based. 5w40 ESP has zero PAO. 5w40 non-ESP is 1/5 PAO. 5w30 is around 1/6 PAO. Safety Data Sheets give an approximate range, so I don't know who told you their 5w40 is all PAO.

Outside much of the Ravenol range of synthetics, and outside pure racing oils, very little all-PAO (in anything heavier than 0w20) oil exists on the market. I think even Amsoil SS only has part PAO, but maybe somebody here has seen a safety data sheet on Amsoil SS, I've not.

BTW I used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 in my 3.7 liter MKT...posted in the UOA section. Blackstone liked what they saw with that...said it was wearing much better than average. So IMHO whether it be Castrol, Mobil, Shell Rotella T6 or whatever...5W40 works better.

You can get the cheapest 5W40 on amazon...amazonbasics. Warren Distributing makes it. A 5W40 HDEO and a 5W40 Euro both API SN. If you use either of those it will come out with praise by Blackstone...

I've been running Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and a Fram Ultra for close to 10k intervals and my two 3.5 Ecoboosts have run perfectly, and the oil hasn't smelled like gas, like some of them I've seen. Both engines were in our 2015 Transit. The first lasted 85k before our local oil change place messed up and put the filter on top of the old filter's gasket, causing it to blow out oil. The engine ran a surprisingly long time with no oil in it. The new engine has about 45k miles on it now and it runs just the same on the EP as the first did.

The Transit never gets just short trips, though. My wife is in it and driving all the time, shuttling kids around and running errands. It does idle quite a bit, though. One of these days I'll get a 10k UOA done. Maybe this next change I'll do it. I'll get the TBN, too. It doesn't use any oil, either.

Last edited:
I think you are doing it wrong. 1 uoa means nothing and Blackstone can't do dilution.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I think you are doing it wrong. 1 uoa means nothing and Blackstone can't do dilution.

They can show viscosity, though, and other data. If a 10k UOA comes back and the viscosity is good and wear metals look good and it has decent TBN, then I think you can conclude that the oil has done or is doing just fine.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by BeerCan

They can show viscosity, though, and other data. If a 10k UOA comes back and the viscosity is good and wear metals look good and it has decent TBN, then I think you can conclude that the oil has done or is doing just fine.

Wear metals in a single UOA is irrelevant the rest of your post is accurate.

Unfortunately I can only do so many UOAs and Blackstone has been a tad slow lately in returning the results. From mailbox to results email it takes 2-3 weeks.

I think anyone can feel confident in any 5W40 whether it be Rotella, Amazonbasics brand, Castrol or Mobil. You are going to get a result superior to any 5W30. Now which is the best 5W40 without spending $40 a gallon for oil??? Hmmm....

I guess Rotella T6 has an advantage in that its everywhere at Walmart and dirt cheap but I personally wouldnt put anything in a gas engine without an API SN or equivalent rating. Thats why I grabbed Mobil at Walmart. Felt more comfortable in that somewhere on the label it says you can put it in there.

*I would use a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 SN+ synthetic oil AND change the oil sooner (no more than a 5K mile OCI) .

The following image appeared on the Blackstone oil blog. The post was taken down possibly because of lawsuit threats.

Amsoil responded in a blog that any 5W40 is better than any 5W30 oil stating Blackstone was comparing apples to oranges.

Shell Rotella T6 5W40 isnt suggested for gas engines because of cat converters and its basically a group iii type oil. Its not the best 5W40 on the block, but yet does better than the entire group including Amsoil.

So whatever 5W40 you get it will most likely be better than any 5W30 even boutique oils like Amsoil.

[Linked Image]

Ha ha ha... the beloved M1 and Royal Purple are the worst of all.... don't let the M1 or RP fan boys on here see that!
smile.gif

It did not get "taken down", it is right here:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

And they give an explanation for the higher numbers which is perfectly reasonable.

The stuff people post to support their conspiracy theories or preconceived notions is just... amazing.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Ha ha ha... the beloved M1 and Royal Purple are the worst of all.... don't let the M1 or RP fan boys on here see that!
smile.gif

Blackstone states those differences are irrelevant, and even so, track with interval not brand.

And before I get labeled as a "fan boy" I don't use either brand. I use Castrol.

Originally Posted by kschachn
smile.gif

Blackstone states those differences are irrelevant, and even so, track with interval not brand.

And before I get labeled as a "fan boy" I don't use either brand. I use Castrol.

There is not a bad or best motor oil when it meets the latest specs. I'm using a lot of Valvoline lately it seems Valvoline has moved into Pennzoil's market spot around here. It's alright with me as long as it meets my price point.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by kschachn
smile.gif

It's alright with me as long as it meets my price point.

BINGO!
thumbsup2.gif

Back