Is it OK to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... run M1 5w40 in my wife's 99 Altima 4cyl, 2.4L?

It has 67K on the clock, running M1 5w30 for the past 20K with no leaks or oil consumption. OCIs have been 10K with 5K filter changes and top off. Driving conditions are close to perfect. Oil filter is either a PureOne or Prem plus.

would MPG take a big hit?

The reason I ask is because it would be a heck of a lot easier to just buy one oil for both her car and my Jeep.

Any arguements against or for?

Sure, M1 5W40 would be a fine choice. I had a 93 Altima with the same engine as your wife's, I believe, and I ran GC 0W30 in it. Didn't notice any fuel consumption difference, mostly because at the time my intake manifold gasket was leaking quite badly and my fuel mileage was just crappy, oil wouldn't have changed that. I had over 200000 miles on the odometer and the engine didn't leak or burn a drop of oil. Of course, thenone day my dad took the car out, without me knowing by the way, and banged it up badly in an accident. That was almost a year ago now. I loved that car, even though I swore at it many times, and I still feel a sense of loss whenever I see a 1st gen altima drive past.

quote:

Originally posted by askoop:
OCIs have been 10K with 5K filter changes and top off. Driving conditions are close to perfect. Oil filter is either a PureOne or Prem plus.

You don't have to change the oil filters every 5K. It's totally unnecessary.

I don't know. I've heard the argument that oil is only as good as the oil filter. Going 10K, it would be best to change the filter at 5K........PureOne isn't expensive. I personally wouldn't go 10K with M1, but I know M1 is capable of going that distance.

But back to the oil filter, can you imagine what all was picked up going 10K using the same oil filter? It's a cheap reassurance to change the filter at 5K in my opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by Intrepid:

But back to the oil filter, can you imagine what all was picked up going 10K using the same oil filter? It's a cheap reassurance to change the filter at 5K in my opinion.

No need to imagine, cut it open and look with a magnifying glass. I would have no problem running a good filter 10,000 miles in an engine that wasn't eating itself.

I also have a Jeep 4.0 and my wife has a 98 Altima. I use 5w-30 in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back