Is it just me or are municipalities using more salt on the roads?

3783-KC1

Site Donor 2024
Within the last 3 years or so, I've noticed that my cars get saltier from the roads quicker than normal. It takes 10 miles to accumulate x amount of salt vs the past when it used to be about 16-20 or so. Is it really just me seeing this or are there actual changes happening in other places as well? Also, driving on a Interstate today, it looked like it was snowing due to the amount of salt dust in the air. Not even joking, it was hard to see some taillights due how much dust was being thrown up. Roads also looked like a weird saturated gray.

...Yeah I'm tired of winter already.

Around my neck of the woods, the DOT has been using brine to treat the roads for ice prevention for several years now. Its either rock salt or magnesium chloride, or both, mixed with water and then sprayed on the road ahead of bad weather. Supposedly it covers the roadway better, then dries and stays in place until moisture hits it. The resulting mix then floods the road and lowers the icing temp and prevents ice from forming. Doesn't kick off or produce a lot of salt dust like straight rock salt does. Works well and doesn't really change the color of my car.

Within the last 3 years or so, I've noticed that my cars get saltier from the roads quicker than normal. It takes 10 miles to accumulate x amount of salt vs the past when it used to be about 16-20 or so. Is it really just me seeing this or are there actual changes happening in other places as well? Also, driving on a Interstate today, it looked like it was snowing due to the amount of salt dust in the air. Not even joking, it was hard to see some taillights due how much dust was being thrown up. Roads also looked like a weird saturated gray.

...Yeah I'm tired of winter already.
It's more of what they are treating the actual salt with these days to make it work longer and use less. = rot much faster

Around here the streets are white even before the snow hits. Before the last storm the pre-treat spray tank was going down the other side of a 4 lane divided. I mean dozen's of gallons of this stuff was hitting the road in the 10 secs I could see it. Not like a fine mist but a large diameter hose like flow from 4 outlets. No wonder asphalt only last 2-3 years around here.

I washed the Maverick the other day. It had several trips in the muck on the streets. Turned the sprayer upside down and got underneath pretty good. Pretty flat under there. Got it home without messing it up. Cleaned up well for about $6 at the "Spray and Pay" It was slightly below 32° so had to let it thaw in the garage. Forgot to dry off and I have little lines of rinse water dried on the hood. Protect-All to the rescue.

Have a great day "Gents"

A
I work in NY and they PAVE the roads with salt like its going out of style . Then come back into CT and barely any salt and roads are junk
Ah finally. As someone who crosses the border often it’s amazing how vastly different it is. I only buy cars from ct because of this reason.

A

Ah finally. As someone who crosses the border often it’s amazing how vastly different it is. I only buy cars from ct because of this reason.
Very different procedures between the 2 States as far as roads.I was behind a NY DOT salt truck friday on my way home. Can you say paving with salt wow. My truck is nearly all white except for the roof .

Around here the streets are white even before the snow hits. Before the last storm the pre-treat spray tank was going down the other side of a 4 lane divided. I mean dozen's of gallons of this stuff was hitting the road in the 10 secs I could see it. Not like a fine mist but a large diameter hose like flow from 4 outlets. No wonder asphalt only last 2-3 years around here.

I washed the Maverick the other day. It had several trips in the muck on the streets. Turned the sprayer upside down and got underneath pretty good. Pretty flat under there. Got it home without messing it up. Cleaned up well for about $6 at the "Spray and Pay" It was slightly below 32° so had to let it thaw in the garage. Forgot to dry off and I have little lines of rinse water dried on the hood. Protect-All to the rescue.

Have a great day "Gents"
Make sure you clean out that cavity behind the rear driver side wheel. That will be a future rust spot on the Maverick.

A local guy tells me if they don't use it they get less for the next year. So they try and use it even when the chance of snow is low.
Same here; use it or lose it type of deal.

Back