Does US-30 go all the way across Pennsylvania? Or...

Or, does it not. (Or, does it say it does and have many interruptions along the way.)

And now, some context. When I had to go to Mt. Wolf/York PA area, I ended up on what I believe was US-30. Jumped on various roads through Philadelphia and some short stretches of highways (Rt 1?) and eventually was on what I believe was US-30 West. Went through Amish country and some windy one lane roads, clear into the area of Mt Wolf and York. My destination was there so I know it can be done.

This time, I'm planning me going to Manteno as well as Bourbonnais, Illinois (shooting range.) 😎 before next Friday night lol... so, my travels will likely put me in Hamilton/Trenton NJ "Thursday night." This is the nebulous of the context of this question.

Trenton or Hamilton. Right by I-195.. also, I-295. The ways to get to Philadelphia by making your way to that border area where the free bridge is (there are at least two, one is closer) are right there. Compare this to my normal route .. in this instance, it would be backwards to take my normal route. To go, follow me here... East to go North to go West. (I-195 East to what I presume would be Route 1 North, or Rt 130 North to Rt 1 North to jump on I-287 North to take it all the way to I-80 West to then go across PA, Westbound, in a straight shot, as per usual.)

That would be kind of stupid to go East to go North to go West.

But I am not taking I-76.. the PA Turnpike. No! Tolls. 🚫

So I got to thinking.. I can just take what I believe is US-30 all the way West, into Ohio, and once I am in Ohio I can connect to I-76 West and I know exactly where I am from there.

So, my main question is, is US-30 an actual connected road across the entire width of Pennsylvania and then continue into Ohio? Or does I-80 remain the only connecting line I see... if I can avoid going North (too much) I won't have extra expense etc...

I remember trying to travel US-30 at least once and either getting lost, or ending up on some hilly windy roads that count as transmission workouts. Hoping the experts can chime in on as to whether this is the best route, or.. to go across PA.. without paying tolls....

osm-intl,a,a,a,290x240@2x.jpg

See Wikipeda, US Route 30 in PA for a complete description. The short answer is yes. I-76 and I-80 cross the state (E - W, W - E).

Last edited:
It would be a nice way to see the scenery and the small towns along the route. But it would be tedious.

Even taking US30 across Indiana (which is the most direct way to Fort Wayne vs. taking the Interstates which are more circuitious) always seems like the slow boat to China because of the constant slow sections and stop lights in all the towns.

You can take I-95 into PA, then go into Center City (676) to the 76 and pick up Route 30 from Girard... but it's a lot of time and stops in Philly. And follow 30 through the main-line all the way to OH... but it's slow going if you have the time.

I just rather pay the money for the convenience of the PA turnpike and drive a lot faster. Time is money... how much time is it worth to you compared to tolls?

If you really want to detour north... then before heading into PA via I-95 or Rte 1, take Rte 29 North and follow the DE river. When you get to Frenchtown, cross the bridge (free) into PA and go north on PA Rte 32 to Rte 611, then head West on I-78 (around Easton) to Rte 33 north and that will drop you off at I-80 West.

Last edited:
If it's about the journey and not the destination, go for it. I make all my non-business road trips about the journey. The farther out in the boonies the better.

We take the secondary roads whenever possible-when in the rv its the backroads nearly all the time, more miles but far fewer psychos. An additional benefit is 'better' roads or the perception of smoother roads due to lower speeds; its just more relaxing and perhaps safer also.

You can take I-95 into PA, then go into Center City (676) to the 76 and pick up Route 30 from Girard... but it's a lot of time and stops in Philly. And follow 30 through the main-line all the way to OH... but it's slow going if you have the time.

I just rather pay the money for the convenience of the PA turnpike and drive a lot faster. Time is money... how much time is it worth to you compared to tolls?

If you really want to detour north... then before heading into PA via I-95 or Rte 1, take Rte 29 North and follow the DE river. When you get to Frenchtown, cross the bridge (free) into PA and go north on PA Rte 32 to Rte 611, then head West on I-78 (around Easton) to Rte 33 north and that will drop you off at I-80 West.

This right here if you don't want the turnpike but you can always do what I do when heading to Ohio.

I78-West all the way to Carlisle and get on there to shave some monies off the I-76 because it is the quickest way west. Rt.30 would just be mind numbing to me after a few hours especially with stop and go. I did a route similar coming home from Buffalo, NY cutting through the finger lakes and while it was nice scenery. The constant small towns and traffic started to annoy me.

Much of it is the original Lincoln Highway, the very first coast to coast named route across America. It would be slow going, but it's American automotive history at it's finest. I've done it across the country both ways now. However, like the others are saying, if you want to make time, that isn't the road.

I've done Chambersburg to Pittsburgh on Route 30. Not a road to make time on but mostly enjoyable over the mountains, kind of sad outside of Somerset and it would be crazy to follow 30 into Pittsburgh. Much easier to avoid the city and the traffic.

If it's about the journey and not the destination, go for it. I make all my non-business road trips about the journey. The farther out in the boonies the better.

California does have some very beautiful scenery on your drives.

Stay off of 30 in Pa. especially west of Bedford if you can. I just mapped out from Trenton to Manteno with DeLorme Street Atlas Mapping software and it took me up onto I-80 to Ohio where you pick up I-76 in Ohio to Route 30 to I-57 south to Manteno. A lot of route 30 in Pa. is two lane roads with limited passing areas.

Agree wholeheartedly. I plan on driving Rt 6 in the upper part of PA soon. Historic route. Just wouldn’t recommend it in the winter months.

Get there then get to:

plan carefully for a clear/dark night and really put things in perspective;

lastly visit the shop for -necessary things -

6 for sure, get it ??

It would be a nice way to see the scenery and the small towns along the route. But it would be tedious.

Even taking US30 across Indiana (which is the most direct way to Fort Wayne vs. taking the Interstates which are more circuitious) always seems like the slow boat to China because of the constant slow sections and stop lights in all the towns.
Hit Merrillville and you might as well ride a bicycle to go faster. It was a farming community when I grew up there along route 30. Urban congestion extraordinaire now.

technically just about all the old even numbered US highways run thru multiple states.. with the added caveat that few of of them blend into interstates or toll roads and claim multiple designation at varying points along their route..

Back