is it better to change oil at the beginning or end of the season?

I'm going to keep on doing what I've done for decades ..
Good choice! Storing with old vs new oil is less important than the oil actually getting changed once in a while.

I've seen some 5 y.o. mowers still running fairly well with nothing but sludge - the owner then indicated they have never changed the oil or changed the plug!

If a new oil has a strong base value and used oil is less basic, then I think I would leave the used oil in over winter. Not a chemist here but, just thinking. Ed
So you would rather leave acidic oil in the lawn mower over winter? I'm not sure I understand.

In an area with high humidity - the beginning of the season.

I've never once seen acid damage from a seasons oil, but I have seen crankcases with moisture in them from winter storage and the freeze thaw cycles.

I am using a standard Toro home use walk behind mower in Michigan where it sits in storage 6 months a year. Is it better on engine life to change the oil at the beginning of the season or right before putting it in storage for the winter? It typically gets 15 hours of run time a year in the summer.
I would change the oil at the beginning because over the winter, the oil is going to accumulate condensation and Id want to flush as much of that out of it as I could.

Good choice! Storing with old vs new oil is less important than the oil actually getting changed once in a while.

I've seen some 5 y.o. mowers still running fairly well with nothing but sludge - the owner then indicated they have never changed the oil or changed the plug!
Not sure why people change the spark plug every year. I'm going on 17 years with the same plug. Mower starts first or second pull and runs like a top. I have a new plug as a spare, but don't see or hear any reason to change it.

Not sure why people change the spark plug every year. I'm going on 17 years with the same plug. Mower starts first or second pull and runs like a top. I have a new plug as a spare, but don't see or hear any reason to change it.
Thats impressive!

I'm going to keep on doing what I've done for decades ..
How 'bout if it was a 2 cylinder OHC Riding lawn tractor that cost $3700.00 ? Same thing with more at stake?
It makes scientific and practical since to change the oil and the end of the Season - and you are all set to go next season.
Do I do this?

No. I'm lazy - or disinterested.
My poor neglected - and expensive - snow blower has the same oil in it for 2 seasons.
I did change the oil in my Generator after 7 years, But it had DARN good oil in it:
Valvoline Racing Synthetic and some Liqui Moly MoS2.

Its been so long I forgot what oil I put in the snow blower. Dang!

Carry on, stay cool. - Ken

Thats impressive!
If the engine is running well the plug should last the life of the engine.
est life = 500 hours which is the equivalent of about 15K miles in a car.

Do you change you cars sparkplugs every 15K? Hope not, Unless you are a sportsman.

If your ODPE small engine has flaky ignition, carb issues or fuel mixing issues ( owner's onus )
then it will foul or toast early and require more frequent change.

That is not the plug's fault, though.

If the engine is running well the plug should last the life of the engine.
est life = 500 hours which is the equivalent of about 15K miles in a car.

Do you change you cars sparkplugs every 15K? Hope not, Unless you are a sportsman.

If your ODPE small engine has flaky ignition, carb issues or fuel mixing issues ( owner's onus )
then it will foul or toast early and require more frequent change.

That is not the plug's fault, though.
Mower runs like a top and uses the same amount of fuel as it always has (as far as I can tell).
Sold my minivan with 135K miles with original spark plugs.

On the other hand... Had the valves adjusted and new plugs put in my CR-V at 95K miles. I have to admit, the car runs like a top now. It idles smoother and seems to run smoother at speed. Not that I thought it ran bad before, but I thought that since I was planning on keeping it for a while it would be good to keep it in top shape. The improvement was noticeable.

I change my mower spark plug every year with my fourth and final oil change of the year.

I do fall service for snow and lawn mower stuff..not because its best.. but because i need to get the snow equipment serviced before i need it.
I think the idea of storage w clean oil is a good one. I store my summer only bmw with new oil just before storage time. Got gas and added sta bil and changed oil two days ago.
I think once a year oil changes on most lawn and garden stuff is plenty of care. If your a professional then change oil and hydro fluid several times a year.

Attachments

• 20211030_165917.jpg
    20211030_165917.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211030_181406.jpg
    20211030_181406.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211016_162036.jpg
    20211016_162036.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211016_153033.jpg
    20211016_153033.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 6
I drain the old oil at the end of the season, and then leave the crankcase empty until the next spring, at which time I put in fresh oil. As a precaution, I'll make up and attach a sign to the top of the engine, reminding me to fill with oil before starting the engine.
So your not interested in water vapor and condensation destroying your bare metal ?? Seems like a terrible idea.
Just put oil in the engine and you dont need to make up signs .

So your not interested in water vapor and condensation destroying your bare metal ?? Seems like a terrible idea.
Just put oil in the engine and you dont need to make up signs .

Please explain how having motor oil setting in the bottom of the oil pan is going to protect all the metal surfaces inside the crankcase any better than having drained used oil from the oil pan.

In both scenarios, if the engine has ran, then motor oil has been splattered throughout, and should have covered all surfaces in the crankcase. Except for the film of oil that may stay on the surfaces from surface tension, all of it drains back into the pan. Draining or not draining the pan is not going to provide any more or less protection in the crankcase.

If you are correct in your theory, no one should ever buy any of these newer small engine tools that are shipped without being filled with oil. A very common practice these days. Almost all compressors are filled with oil by the consumer. They are rarely shipped with oil inside the compressor.

I do the O.C. before storage . May use it 2 or 3 times after O.C.. At least it's less acidic as 6 month used oil sitting in engine .

17 years is amazing. I agree with your thinking. Keep a spare in case you have starting/running issues then put in the new plug to see if that helps....if not the old plug goes back in. (y)

Back