is it better to change oil at the beginning or end of the season?

I am using a standard Toro home use walk behind mower in Michigan where it sits in storage 6 months a year. Is it better on engine life to change the oil at the beginning of the season or right before putting it in storage for the winter? It typically gets 15 hours of run time a year in the summer.

Change oil at end of season before storing it for the winter. After the oil change, start the engine and run it for a minute or two to cycle the fresh oil. This way you reduce the amount of contaminants & acids that can cause corrosion and other problems during storage.

whichever you feel comfortable with.. push mowers are not sophisticated machines. 15 hrs if you use good oil and keep it changed per season you'll be fine. lack of lubrication will be the killer rather than time of season.

My vote is to change at the beginning, otherwise you're letting fresh oil oxidize over winter.

If your really want to go above and beyond, you could change with cheap conventional for storage at the end of the season, and change again with your preferred oil at the start of the season.

If you keep it in the garage or shed during the off season change at end of season, if it lives outside under a tarp change at the beginning. If you leave fuel in it make sure you check the oil first thing in the spring because if the float needle leaks you can end up with a crankcase full of gas.

That's a good point. The OP didn't ask, but definitely mix Stabil into the gas at the end of the season. Gas can and will go stale over the winter season.

Its overkill, but I always change the oil at the end of the season with leftover Frankenoil from partial bottles. Then, in the Spring, after the first mow, I'll change the oil to whatever I intend to use for the season and replace oil filters at that time as well.

Change oil at end of season before storing it for the winter. After the oil change, start the engine and run it for a minute or two to cycle the fresh oil. This way you reduce the amount of contaminants & acids that can cause corrosion and other problems during storage.
This ^^^ they don’t hold much and easy to change …
I just do mine spring & fall with clearance oils …
$4 worth of oil between a $400 walker + $1800 rider …

My Mowing time is 10mins of mower engine on time. Does that warrant oil change every season?

Where I live, the end of the mowing season is unpredictable. So, I do the maintenance right before I use the equipment at the beginning of the season. It is only better "for me" as a convenience thing.

My last mow is usually mulching in leaves around the beginning of November, I really don't want to be out in the cold changing oil so I wait till a nice late winter/early spring day.

If a new oil has a strong base value and used oil is less basic, then I think I would leave the used oil in over winter. Not a chemist here but, just thinking. Ed

When I had my landscape company, we would store all the equipment with the old oil in it, change it right before we started using it for the new season. We would change it without cranking the engine. Our logic was the junk in the oil would settle, and easily be released when we changed it cold. Fresh oil would be added (our Honda engines didn’t have filters) and we’d get to mowing! Did this for 8 years, never had an engine issue.

Store it with fresh oil not old stuff full of combustion by products, acids, etc. . 25 yr old 14 hp Briggs still going strong, not smoking, etc. .
Fuel cans always stabilized when they get filled also so gas is always good.
Spending a few bucks on proper maintenance is saving way more money and grief in the long run.

I drain the old oil at the end of the season, and then leave the crankcase empty until the next spring, at which time I put in fresh oil. As a precaution, I'll make up and attach a sign to the top of the engine, reminding me to fill with oil before starting the engine.

Back