How Old Is Your Lawn Mower(s)?? And How Many Hours Approximately?

John Deere D170 54”. It’s from 2014 and has a little over 300 hrs on it. Change the oil every season. I do have to add a little top of oil occasionally. Had to put a new spindle on it 2 years ago because I hit something. Changed all 3 when I had to replace the one. Had the drive belt replaced last year as a preventative measure. I think it’s on its 3rd deck belt. Keep a new one hanging in the shed just in case.

My oldest. Manufactured around 1951. Cast iron Lausen engine. Mower weighs around 180 LBS.
Mower.JPG
Mower tag.JPG

My oldest. Manufactured around 1951. Cast iron Lausen engine. Mower weighs around 180 LBS.View attachment 211426View attachment 211428
Wow Lubener, that is a cool mower you got there. It looks like it would be very easy to work on and I like the horizontal to vertical belt drive system and the chain drive self propulsion. Gotta be really careful when using it, though, with all the exposed running hardware and weighing 180 lb!

I have a Yardman 21" push mower (made by MTD), self propelled with a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine with the "Touch-N-Mow" starter system. I purchased this unit in 1998 so it's 26 years old. The engine needs rings or maybe an overbore and a new piston and rings as it's starting to use oil and smokes a little. Other than that, it works fine. I think I'm on my third or fourth blade as I sharpened them so much they got pretty thin on the ends. It has ~650 hours on it. Our mowing season here is from May to the end of October and I mowed ~ 1 hour per week. The "Touch-N-Mow" starter still works and from what I've heard that is a rarity as the spring that provides the cranking power was prone to breakage after a few years. Briggs and Stratton no longer offer this start system, It has a rope recoil starter as well so if the starter system fails, it can still be started. I changed oil yearly up to a few years back when it started to use oil excessively. I just keep adding oil every use so in a season it gets at least 2 if not 3 oil changes LOL. I have kept increasing the oil viscosity to slow the oil consumption and am currently up to 15W-40, the same as I use in my diesel pickup.

I have a Yardman 21" push mower (made by MTD), self propelled with a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine with the "Touch-N-Mow" starter system. I purchased this unit in 1998 so it's 26 years old. The engine needs rings or maybe an overbore and a new piston and rings as it's starting to use oil and smokes a little. Other than that, it works fine. I think I'm on my third or fourth blade as I sharpened them so much they got pretty thin on the ends. It has ~650 hours on it. Our mowing season here is from May to the end of October and I mowed ~ 1 hour per week. The "Touch-N-Mow" starter still works and from what I've heard that is a rarity as the spring that provides the cranking power was prone to breakage after a few years. Briggs and Stratton no longer offer this start system, It has a rope recoil starter as well so if the starter system fails, it can still be started. I changed oil yearly up to a few years back when it started to use oil excessively. I just keep adding oil every use so in a season it gets at least 2 if not 3 oil changes LOL. I have kept increasing the oil viscosity to slow the oil consumption and am currently up to 15W-40, the same as I use in my diesel pickup.
Interesting, I had not heard of the "Touch-N-Mow" system until now. I've never had a mower that had that feature. Just curious, what brand and grade of oil did you use on it before the oil consumption problem started (i.e., in the mower's first 10 or 15 years or so)? In any case, looks like you got your money's worth out of it!

Honda HRC 13 years old and it cuts 15,000 sqft lawn and occasionally rentals with so far only maintenance, engine and hydro oil changes along with 1 sparkplug 1 air filter and the plastic safety thing on the back and 3 blades they seem to wear out.. My wife loves cutting the lawns since I bought the mower, the best money I have ever spent !!!

Interesting, I had not heard of the "Touch-N-Mow" system until now. I've never had a mower that had that feature. Just curious, what brand and grade of oil did you use on it before the oil consumption problem started (i.e., in the mower's first 10 or 15 years or so)? In any case, looks like you got your money's worth out of it!
Mobil 1 10W-30 full synthetic

1980-ish Kubota G5200. The hour meter was broken when I bought it. 🤡

I also have a “Yard Man” push mower or whatever branded thing Lowes sold ~20 years ago with a 6.5 hp Briggs. Hours also unknown.

Just curious, how old is your lawn mower (and what lawn mower is it)?? Brand? Push mower, walk behind, riding mower?

I‘ll go first: I have a Troy Bilt 430 push mower, bought in 2008 and still going strong after 16 years. I also have a Toro 20330 Recycler walk behind self propelled mower, bought in 2010 and also going strong after 14 years. Both have Briggs and Stratton L-head engines (both about 190 cc “6.75 torque”) and have plenty of power to get the job done. Each gets roughly 20 or so hours of use per year, so about 320 hours on the TB and about 280 hours on the Toro. I use Amsoil synthetic 5W-30 motor oil on both. I try to change the oil every season but wind up not always doing that.
Murray push mower 21 in. 3.5 HP Briggs flat head motor. Manuf. 1989. Still runs good. Up until a few yrs. ago I had a 1966 manuf. Gravely Model L 7.6 hp mower with 30 in. bush hog. I let a co worker talk me out of it.

Got them all started without drama last Monday. '88ish Lawnboy 7073 converted to electric start. Tecumseh4 stroke LB walk behind . '88 Toro 20611 3 speed walk behind. Sitdown is a craftsman 1750 /Husqavarna 42"

2001 Scott's (Murray) 22 in. Tecumseh Ovrm120, Self and propelled e- start . Gator blade. About 400 hrs.

Been a decent mower over the years, given the expection with Murray quality. Tec engine pretty good with decent power. I missed out the getting the John Deere version of this mower, which came out a year later.

Deck is starting to rot out, Engine is burning oil some oil and SP trans just locked up. Looks like I'm in the market for a new mower.

Our lawn mower is in his 30's and been with us for at least half those years, 2000 hours or so annually on all his accounts, so 30 some thousand hours total I guess.

Back